iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shouldered brace

Started by Charvercarver, July 10, 2014, 04:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charvercarver

Hello, new poster here.

I was wondering what the consensus is on shouldered braces? Would the tennon shoulder not be enough bearing surface considering the brace is in compression?

Brad_bb

Not really understanding your question?  You might want to elaborate.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Chilterns

Hi Charv,

Shoulders are used on square rule framing mainly to ensure that a standard size (length) of brace can be used anywhere in the frame. Scribe rule frames do not employ housed braces except where very heavy loads are anticipated (cross beams carrying floor loads) or irregular (curved) timber cut to provide a good even bearing surface (arch bracing).

Since a three quarter inch diameter oak peg can take a double shear load of about 10 tons then part of this can be considered in addition to the compression capacity of the brace shoulder. There is an added tensile benefit when non shouldered joints are employed in that the tenon relish length is increased.

The argument really comes down to whether or not you want to do full scribe layout and preassembly or manufacture to predetermined sizes.

Chilterns

Charvercarver

Thank you Chiltern, I'm only just learning about square rule/ full scribe etc. Comming from a furniture making background(ish) timber frame layout seems an art in itself.

Brad_bb, to reframe the question slightly I was asking about the use of shoulders for knee braces. From what Chiltern says it seems it is more to do with layout than structural necessity.

Dave Shepard

All of the scribe rule braces I've worked with have diminished haunches, so are still shouldered. I personally like the looks of a shouldered brace better.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

canopy

Agreed. I don't care for the look of a skinny tenon holding something together even though it is structurally sound. I would recommend looking at shouldering / housing your joints whenever appearance counts.

Thank You Sponsors!