iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 345 diagnose?

Started by lunas, July 10, 2014, 03:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunas

Split an Husqvarna 345 today that has been run without oil in gas. The compression was around 75 psi. I would have thought the piston would have been more scratched, but the way I see it, it is most burned and the ring is stuck on one side and some real carbon on the top. The cylinder is not scratched and looks good.

Can someone with more knowledge than me diagnose?

ZeroJunk

It is the ring sticking that stops them. Usually that is from melted off aluminum. You might clean it  and see what's in there in the area the ring is stuck. I suppose  burnt carbon crud could seize the ring.   Good synthetic oil will cure that carbon problem.

lunas

That is tue. I found som melted aluminum in the cylinder, I first tought it was a scratch. But it was no problem remove it. I'm not sure how much energy I'll use on the old piston. I  suppose the best is to replace it with a new one. Golf or Meteor piston?

ZeroJunk

weimedog

A great opportunity to build it into a 350..... Many ways that can happen. Best path is to just buy a used but working OEM 350 bearing cap & cylinder off eBay and a new Meteor piston. BUT if you have a sense of adventure... you can do some other things.

The following is a video documentation of the building of a eBay 350 puzzle into a useful saw. Cheap saw fun. Starts with optimism ( Video 1 )... Then some disappointments (Vid 2) then turns things around Video (3 & 4), working the concept in real wood dropping hard maple (video 5). Then finally a comparison with three different Husqvarna 350 build concepts. (Video 6)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtw-MqiEnI4FqI4p_gjbHg3fsoykcdazS
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

hamish

It was not straight gassed.  That is carbon buildup that seized the ring.  There is zero aluminum scoring.
De-carbon, and re-assemble and you are good to go.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Thank You Sponsors!