iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberking 1400 or 1600

Started by Missouriwildman, July 10, 2014, 01:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missouriwildman

Heres my delima and I would like input from anyone and everyone:

I ordered a new TK 1400 with the 24.8 hp Diesel upgrade along with a new blade sharpener and setter. Well it seems there may be a problem with the combination of the TK1400 and the Kubota Diesel engine so the delivery of my sawmill has been delayed (not sure how long). Now note: I own two Kubota Diesel engines, one in a small B8200 tractor (basically the same engine that will be on the sawmill 25hp) and one in my Bobcat Skidsteer (55hp). The Kubota tractor has over 4000 hrs on it and never done anything but change the oil and air filter and it runs great. I really like the Kubota Diesel for the hp/torque and durability and mileage-hourage.

Timberking has been very generous to offer me a deal for a new TK1600 and used blade sharpener and setter in liu of the TK1400 Diesel and the new sharpender/setter for an additional $1,800.00. The new TK1600 would come with the standard gas engine, with no setworks and no log loader. I have a skidsteer with forks and plan on building a side log loading table so the log loader is not an issue. If I were going to saw mobile I plan on bringing the skidsteer along anyhow( its just so handy). Now I would be dealing with diesel for the skidsteer and gas for the 1600. Did I mention I really like the diesel?? I also have a GMC Duramax Diesel truck.

So, What do I do? Forgo the diesel option and add another $1,800.00 for the gas TK1600 mill? Is the TK1600 really that much better of a mill without the setwoks and log loader (and diesel engine)? I really dont like the idea of gas since I've had so much luck with the Kubota Diesels (although they seem to be having an issue with this application). I've had all kinds of problems with gas engines particularly with ethenol in the fuel eating gaskets. I have a 5hp gas honda powewasher and  a 6hp Briggs log splitter that I've had problems with. I'm not looking for something I need to work on when I'm retired. I'm looking to saw...

What would you guys do?? 
On order Timberking 1600 , 25 hp diesel, TK blade sharpener and setter. JD 5210 with 540 loader and 5 ton Braden 3 point winch for skidding timber. Bobcat S160 turbo hi flow with loader forks. Chainsaws ms 200t , ms 210, ms 250, ms 390, can't hook, Log waggon and other stuff..I love stuf

rooster 58

Buy a Woodmizer?  ;D. Seriously tho, I don't know much about TK's, except they're known as a good mill. I'm sure someone here will be around to weigh in on the subject ;)

Dave Shepard

I don't know the difference between them, but I know the difference between gas and diesel. I don't like gas at all. Surely TK can give you a timeline on the availability of the diesel 1400?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Nomad

The only things I know about TK is that they're a reliable company with a good track record, and their mills (and service!) are highly regarded.
     I also know that I much prefer a diesel.  Without knowing the difference between the two models, I'd be inclined to stick with my original deal.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

ozarkgem

every thing I own that won't start is gas. Just tried to start the forklift(gas) wouldn't start. Borrowed my buddys truck it left me stranded twice today because it was gas(vapor lock old truck). The fuel cost difference will be significant between gas and diesel. Plus you ordered a DIESEL. Don't let them pull one over on you. You will regret it as long as you own the mill. I would seriously consider a Woodmizer if the cost is the same. I don't have a Woodmizer but I think they are very well engineered. Just don't let them talk you into something you really don't want to do. Tell them you are going with Woodmizer if the can't give you a diesel. If they are having problems making everything work with the Kubota you may be an experiment. I have nothing against Timber King. Lots of gas ones around here. Two of my friends have them. Just get what you want. 
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

LaneC

I just got a paper from TK today. I am looking at the 1600 with a diesel upgrade.(just wishing). Are they having any problems with the 1600 upgrades or do you know? Hope your deal works out. Did they say what type of issues? Thanks for the heads up.
Man makes plans and God smiles

thecfarm

Sounds like you are set on the diesel. And I don't blame you any.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

joey7319

I would hold out for what I asked for in the first place. If you did take the other option I would not pay additional money for it. They are the ones having an issue filling the order, I would remind them of the fact and maybe shop some other brands.
30HT25 Timber Harvester Mill Kubota kx 161-3 Excavotor Kubota l235 tractor and a mixed group of chainsaws.

xlogger

Stay with TK, I think you will not regret it. I'm sure they will work with you. I own a couple different mills and the TK is more user friendly. I don't have to call customer support much at all. Most of time I called was on the learning curve. I got my mill used and no one telling me anything about it. The best customer support is not having to call one. 
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

ladylake

As mentioned the best service is service not needed, I've had to call TK less than 5 times in 9500 hours of use, nothing over complicated on a TK mill.  If your going to do a lot of sawing get a diesel for sure and Kubota diesels are as good as they get, if not used much a gas will work but you would need to put seafoam or stabil in the gas when not using for a month or so.  A diesel will pay for the extra cost in 1500 to 2500 hours plus way less maintenance.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

slider

I don't think I would give up the loader or the set works If I did not have to.They are both time savers.
al glenn

ladylake

The 1400 is a walk along mill and the 1600 has  stationary controls which is a big plus and if needed I think the hydraulic log loader could  be added to the 1600 easy .  Did the 1400 you ordered come with a log loader and setworks.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

LeeB

First and formost, you need to trade the chevy off for a Dodge. ;D  I don't know the difference between the 1400 and the 1600, but I would much rather have a deisel.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Missouriwildman

LaneC- TK didnt say anything to me about the TK 1600 and Kubota Diesel. It is the same engine though. I'm told the the problem (if there is a problem as they're not sure yet) is resulting from the interface between the engine and the mill. I was told there was a broken crankshaft issue in Texas and something about exhaust bolts somewhere else. Kubota is looking into the issue and verfifing the application in which TK is using the engine is Ok. My guess its a side loading problem. The Crankshaft turns a belt/chain that turns the band wheels and maybe that loading application is producing a fatigue failure. Although I think it should produce a seal failure first. In a tractor application the engine is lined up with a transmission and only transfers axiel loads (different from a tangential load). So the short answer is I dont know. I did read a thread on here that the yanmar and cat diesels had a similar problem.

LadyLake- The 1400 that I ordered has essential hydraulics only. Up/down and forward/reverse only. No setworks. It does have a log loader ran with a winch cable but like I said I will be using a skidsteer and a loading table most of the time. I will be mainly be sawing for myself so hauling all this around wont be an issue.

I'm leaning with most everyone here. I think I'm going to stick to my original order; the Diesel. When I did the math, if I take the retail price of the TK1600 and subtract the setworks and the hydraulic loader I come out exactly what I was quoted for the TK1400 diesel plus the $1,800.00. So the only thing I'd be gaining is a used sharpener and setter (unless of course the gas TK1600 mill is much better than the TK1400 Diesel..

Ozark gem I'm with you. Everything I have that doesnt run is gas and so far I cant break a diesel.

Dave Shepard- They told me about 2 weeks, 2 weeks ago. Now I'm told no timeline. Thats really Ok though, I'm in no hurry as I'm putting up hay now anyhow. And I've got this other full time job.. :-[
On order Timberking 1600 , 25 hp diesel, TK blade sharpener and setter. JD 5210 with 540 loader and 5 ton Braden 3 point winch for skidding timber. Bobcat S160 turbo hi flow with loader forks. Chainsaws ms 200t , ms 210, ms 250, ms 390, can't hook, Log waggon and other stuff..I love stuf

LaneC

Thanks a bunch for the reply. Hope it works for you and everything goes smooth on your decision and new mill.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Missouriwildman

Well.. It's a timberking 1600 diesel.. TK was gracious enough to work with me on the upgrade.. So far TK has been great to work with!! I can't wait to make some dust!!

GAB

I can understand your wanting a diesel engine on the sawmill, based on what you have written.  It would be just most owners luck to have the hired help put gas in the diesel engines and diesel in the gas engine.
If you use the same fuel in all there is no making a mistake.
I do not blame you at all for demanding a diesel.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

scully

I have a WM  with a kabota diesel and I love it . However it is my understanding that WM stopped useing the Kabota because Kabota was not provideing tech. service or something to that affect in other words they just did not coperate with WM I guess . I bought my mill used and I specificly held out until I found a Kabota mill . I can get it fixed myself if need be . We all have our preferance and our budget and I think every mill has it's place but if you want a diesel unit you really should get one ! I would not settle for next model up in a gas job ! You do have options ,careful not to jump to quick !
I bleed orange  .

Magicman

You will never regret making the Diesel decision.  There is just no comparison.   smiley_thumbsup

Do you have a "delivery" date yet?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Missouriwildman

MM.. I picked it up yesterday.. It's awesome. I have been practicing cutting stickers and so far they look great.. The mill runs great.. The wood smells great.. It's so far been an all around great experience.. Now I need more daylight.. Or get rid of my day job..

Tom the Sawyer

I had never seen a diesel 1600 in action so I dropped in at Timberking when Missouriwildman was picking up his new mill.  It was pouring rain so the orientation was held in the shop.  There's definitely a grin hiding behind those whiskers as Jimmy from TK coaches Scott through his very first log.

The mill did a beautiful job and Scott learned about stress in his very first log.

Good luck with your new milling career  smiley_thumbsup

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Magicman

Well, Good For You !!!  You know the deal about pictures??  Without them, it didn't happen.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I want a picture,I want a picture.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ain't nothing like your first time!  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Missouriwildman

Well it's official.. I've got about 9 hours on the new 1600 cutting stickers.. Practicing.. And.. Drum roll please., I hit my log stop.. Just nicked the top of it but I seen the sparks.. The stickers are turning out quite nice..

Thank You Sponsors!