iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ms290 Problem after Muffler mod

Started by ohiowoodchuck, July 10, 2014, 01:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

I did a muffler Mod on my 290 a while back, after that I keeping having trouble with my saw constanly bogging out. I took the carb apart before the muffler mod and cleaned it really well. I did this because I took it apart to remove the limiter caps. I have adjust the carb a couple times, even used the directions from Madsens. It is the worst when it gets good and warm, I start making a cut and it starts bogging out. I have to pull it from the cut to clear it out and go back in the cut. It's really getting old. It's running clear with maybe a little rich on the top end. It seems worst when it gets pulled down off the high end and wants to fall on it's face. Any ideas? Is my low speed that far off? 
Education is the best defense against the media.

H 2 H

It isn't uncommon to readjust a carb thru out the day when the weather changes

IMO; I think your carb isn't adjusted right
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

AdkStihl

Lightly seat both needles and turn em out 1 full turn and start from there.
The low speed jet and idle need to be adjusted in tandem. Once you establish a good idle and crisp throttle response, then tackle the high speed circuit.
You probably find that the low will end up around 1.25-1.5 turns out while the high might remain closer to 1 full turn.
At least this is my findings at 100 ft above sea level.
J.Miller Photography

ohiowoodchuck

Thanks guys, I'll give it another shot.

Andyshine77

Maybe this will help.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjb9_UIgSdY&list=UUDzYN6LbndM64YHQp_JOb4Q
Andre.

Andyshine77

For some reason I can't embed the video.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Qjb9_UIgSdY?list=UUDzYN6LbndM64YHQp_JOb4Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Andre.

Ianab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjb9_UIgSdY

Just post a Youtube URL (without the s in the https part) and the forum software will embed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjb9_UIgSdY
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Andyshine77

I normally do, I've never had an issue before. Thinks for properly embedding the link.
Andre.

ohiowoodchuck

That seemed to help it guys. I have no idea what I was doing wrong. Throttle sounds alot crisper. I'm probably a little rich on the high speed side still. I just don't want to burn it up. I might run it by the saw shop and have them set the high speed with a tach, or order one for myself. I'll put it in the wood next week, I got a large walnut I need to drop. I'll probably use the 3120 for it, but I can test it out on the fork and limbs. I think I'm going to mill the walnut out for some trim.

Thank You Sponsors!