iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large log question

Started by delvis, July 09, 2014, 12:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delvis

Hey folks,

I was just wondering what the largest log is anyone has put on a Wood Mizer?  Not just diameter, but length AND diameter. I am faced with a 20 foot pine log right now that is 3 feet across the small end if it's an inch and I am nervous about putting it up on the mill.  Do I think the mill frame will take it?  Certainly.  Am I worried that I am going to get something too big to get around between the guides and the carriage, and too hard to roll over when needed?  Very much so.

I've been sawing long enough to know what I can throw on there and not have to spend hours on versus what will be a pain, and this log looks like it will be a pain.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

terrifictimbersllc

Log weight will get you too....use the calculator in the toolbox including species in its pull down menu, WM loads 4400 pounds, I've had on probably 5000, but ability to turn it will get you before the loader capacity does.  you have to use the clamp and the claw simultaneously to get anywhere.   Have to push it over to the left with the arms partly down and THINK BIBBYING.   Good luck & don't be afraid to say NO.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mad murdock

I would either defer to a swing blade mill, or if no one in the area has one, get a CSM and break the log down before throwing it on the mill. Will be time well spent, rather than trying to whittle it down with the BSM.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

LittleJohn

I have done 20-footers and I have done 30-inchers, but not a 30" x 20' -> however I do agree with TERRIFICTIMBERSLLC, it gets hard to roll the log once it gets on that big flat face.  I help to run a WM LT40 manual, with no hydros and an underpowered 18hp Kohler; brutal in AUGUST

This is where mechanical equipment comes to play; when rolling these bad boys over

slider

I put a 58 in x 10 ft piece of red oak on my 70 a while back thinking may be I could trim it down.The chain turner would not roll it and I was anxious about my 2 plane clamp with so much weight so I took it off and split it with my chain saw .The big ones are hard to resist but very time consuming .
al glenn

uler3161

I just got done cutting a 26 foot green red fir without using an extension. About 19" on the large end and around 17" on the small end. I've had a pine 42" on the large end and I think it was 16 feet long. Had a few 20 footers from the same job that were probably over 30". The mill arms couldn't load them. Had to help it along with an excavator.

What you have wouldn't scare me, but I'd be real careful loading it, specifically when it rolls against the side supports.

If the throat on your mill isn't wide enough, I'd suggest doing some creative chainsaw work. Two options there. Option 1 is to notch out for the side supports to let the log roll just a little bit more towards the operator side. But you have to make sure not to go too far so that the other side of the head will make it by. Option 2 is to slice a chunk out for your idle side guide roller. I usually opt for option 2.

You may be pushing it on getting the log rolled. If you have a tractor with loader that might be useful.

1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

loggjamm

I have sawed 38" x 20' pine with my lt40hd.  I like a challenge, and pine is easier than hardwood. You'll have to take small slices off at a time. (orangepeel) And probably have a chainsaw handy in case the head hits the bark. The hydraulic turner turns it, no problem. Have fun :laugh: 8)

Marc....
lt40hd, jd compact tractor, clark forklift, vizsla dog.

rooster 58

Last month I sawed a 16' hemlock that was 27" x 34" end to end. It had enough sweep in it that it was difficult to turn until it was on its way to being a cant

Magicman

20' is no problem, but over 36" can cause you some hassle.

I have sawed 42" logs several times.

But not without chainsaw work. (Bibbying)

Another 42" butt.

The same log after Bibbying.

You guessed that your 20' log was 3', small end.  That is huge and is certainly a candidate for chainsaw work before it is loaded on the sawmill.  Your profile does not show your WM model, but even with a SuperHydraulic, you will have difficulty loading and turning it.  Don't even think about turning 90°.  Make 45° turns and think octagon until you have it whittled down.

A 36" log will have to be shifted to the side support side for the saw head and blade to clear.  Two Big Boys
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

CalebL just posted about sawing a 53" pecan.

Biggest I've sawn was 44" big end, 24" small end with 47 feet in the middle. Also sawed a16' that was 38" small end.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

The biggest I've had on my mill was a 40"X 16' fresh cut Hemlock!

Other than the Hemlock, the biggest was a 42"X 12' White Pine, then there was a 44"X 8' Sugar Maple.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Delawhere Jack

If it's a good straight round log it is doable. Not sure what the weight would be in that size pine, but probably exceeds the recommended maximum for the mill. If your mill has a claw type turner, be careful not to get it stuck under / behind the log. That can lead to a lot of head scratching and minor panic. Have a plan to get the log back off of the mill in case you need to abort the operation.

Heaviest log I've milled was a walnut that was close to 4,400 lbs. 38" x 13'. Probably 4-5 oak logs that were over 3,000 lbs.

Sixacresand

Bottom line is big diameter logs are unproductive for me.  Logs that require major chainsaw work are also unproductive.  When WM says a mill can handle a 36" log, I assume it means a perfect log:  knot free, straight and round.  I am sure the more experienced guys have no problem with 36"+logs, but I prefer 30" or smaller range.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Correct.  The highest that the blade can be raised above the bed is 36".  That simply means that if the log is 40", then the top slab will be 4".  All that is happening during the first several cuts is reducing the log to 36".  Octagon sawing (gunbarreling) helps.

"Too big" logs require an excessive amount of log handling and head scratching, but they surely are fun.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on July 09, 2014, 08:49:12 PM
"Too big" logs require an excessive amount of log handling and head scratching, but they surely are fun.   ;D

Absolutely correct. But once you get them "tamed", they usually produce some really fine lumber, and LOTS of it.  ;)

CalebL

Quote from: Magicman on July 09, 2014, 08:49:12 PM
Correct.  The highest that the blade can be raised above the bed is 36".  That simply means that if the log is 40", then the top slab will be 4".  All that is happening during the first several cuts is reducing the log to 36".  Octagon sawing (gunbarreling) helps.

Mine stopped at 35 1/8", don't ask how I know that......However, I will say that I was very surprised how stable the mill was cutting at that height. 

What do you call a 16 sided block of wood?  That is what I was going for.  I couldn't move that log very much at first.  Had to shave where I could.     
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Dave Shepard

Mine stops at 35", as does the aluminum scale. The really big logs take some effort. There needs to be a good reason to attempt them. I'd rather take the time to quarter them, if that doesn't affect the intended product.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brucer

This is a picture from 2005. The log is a 33" top, 20'-7" long Ponderosa Pine.

The mill is a 2005 LT40 manual with the log deck package. Loaded with a winch, turned with the same winch. The winch mounting bracket was made from 3/8" thick plate and I managed to bend it slightly loading this log. Loading involved taking 3 slow cranks with the winch, then resting for a spell. Repeat as necessary.

Turning the log was actually easier. Hint: if the log is reluctant to turn, throw some soapy water on the side stops and the bunks.

This was my first mobile job. I took it on because I didn't know any better. No one told me I couldn't handle a log this big so I went ahead and did it.

On the other hand, because I took on the job and finished it, the owner decided to start buying logs (by the truckload) and having me saw them. I got so much business from him that I was able to upgrade to a fully hydraulic mill. Had I turned down that first job, I would probably still be using that manual mill.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

bandmiller2

Delvis, perhaps I'am an old whoos but if your concerned, and with your experience, if your nervous don't do it,  cut that sucker. Logs come and go but your mill will be around for a long time. A testostrone overload should not transfer to a mill overload. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!