iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

uh oh.....

Started by JamieT, July 09, 2014, 07:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieT

Hey yall! My Hm126 is acting up. 3/4 thru a pine cant, engine shut down. Figured i was outta gas. Popped the top, and theres half a tank.... Ran for another 10 mins, and shut down again. Im figuring on it being either not venting properly  or theres a heat shut off. I searched the forum and found a post with the same problems and his was over tightening the gas cap, i also seen something about there being a "winter/summer" setting on the air filter. I will be lookin it over today, any suggestions??
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

Magicman

Sounds like you are on the right trail and your experience will help others in the future. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JamieT

thanks magicman! Im hoping Andy White will chime in on the air filter thing. Kinda wondering about that.
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

Magicman

Many small engines have a small lever labeled "Summer/Winter" that operate a baffle that allows fresh air in the Summer and air from the engine cooling fins in the Winter.  It should be very obvious if yours has it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

I have had a similar problem crop up a couple of times.  The first thing I do is to loosen the gas cap.  Usually, I'll hear a "whoosh" as air comes in.  A little choke, and it starts right back up.  After changing a blade, the safety switch on the guard doesn't always engage.  It could possibly vibrate loose, as you run the mill, though it has never happened to me.  There is also a low oil pressure shut-off.  I once made the mistake of by-passing this.  The engine ran just fine... for about ten minutes.  That 10 minutes cost me over $1,000 for a new engine.  Have you checked the fuel filter and air filter?  Lots of sawdust to clog them up.  If none of that pans out, check for spark.  That will at least tell you whether to look for a fuel/air or electrical issue.  Looking forward to see what you come up with.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

JamieT

No switches that i seen. I did remove the filter. It had a sleeve over the actual filter. All clean. Dboyt, thanks for the suggestions My oil levels are full and also clean. That was second thing i checked after the filter. Im leaning on it being a vapor lock. Keep the suggestions coming tho! I appreciate them

tjhammer

Jamie if you think its a vapor lock try a cloths pin on the gas line between the filter and carb
tj
hammer

JamieT

tjhammer, a clothing pin? like what you would use to hang clothes on a line? more info please sir

Andy White

Jamie T,
The top half of the air filter should have markings: Summer/Winter. Just make sure the air intake opening is facing away from the muffler for summer operation. This could cause fuel to percolate and stall the engine. Also the vent on the fuel lid could be degraded from Ethanol exposure. Mine got swollen and soft as sponge rubber, and kept the tank from venting. Tear it off, and be on your way SAWING SAWING!!       Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

leroy in kansas

Quote from: JamieT on July 09, 2014, 09:38:48 AM
tjhammer, a clothing pin? like what you would use to hang clothes on a line? more info please sir

On the older cars there was often a problem with vapor lock. Placing wooden clothes pens, the kind you use to hang clothes on the line, on the fuel line would help dissipate the heat and prevent the vapor from forming. 

JamieT

thanks leroy, ive heard of that. Andy, thanks for the info. Far as i know the cap doesnt have a vent. I only run 100% gas thru the mill.

highlandsaw

I have had the same problem with my HM 126. Will not run if the gas cap is at all tight. Problem is with all that sawdust floating around I hate to operate with a loose cap. Have even had it vibrate off because it is not tight enough.  :'(

JamieT

if the cap is the culprit a #7 drill and about 6 inches of gas line will fix that real quick. The filter right inside the tank should catch any saw dust. My mill has 120.2 hours on it. Wonder why ive not had problems before now?

StimW

There are new emissions regs for small engines now.
The gas cap must be non-venting/vapor recovery.
I'm a Honda Small Engine Dealer and the new Honda engines have a gas cap that is over 1" tall for the vapor control.
I had to take an emissions test (and pass) to keep my Honda Engine Program!
You could try compressed air to clean any passages in the cap that might be clogged.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

sawguy21

Can you run it with the fuel cap loosened? That will tell you if venting is a problem. What make and model engine are you running?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

JamieT

kohler 9.5hp. it has 120 hours on it. Ran yesterday with no problems. Took the cap off, put it back on just not as tight.

21incher

I don't know if your engine has one, but I have seen the low oil shutdown switches act up and cause issues.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Paddydiver

Mine does the same thing. Every time it stalls i just open the cap and it runs great for a while then stalls again. Yay Vapor Lock!! So what is the best way to fix it?

beenthere

Sounds like the fix is to unplug the cap vent or make it vent.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Compensation

D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

thecfarm

Paddydiver,welcome to the forum. What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,Paddydiver.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Paddydiver

Thanks for the welcomes :) I turned the bandsaw into a portable mill by attaching pt 4x6s and a boat trailer and take it to customers houses and charge them $.35/bf to mill their logs for them. On the other side I get free logs from the local tree guys and have been milling up black walnut and sugar maple to sell locally. Still trying to settle on pricing. I have been cutting 2-1/4' X 14" slab out of the sugar maple for kitchen counter tops and 1x1 black walnut to sell for turning stock.

Hookpilot

Don't know if any of you have heard of this however, it may be something to keep in mind on the small gas engines. StimW may be able to shed some light. Last year I bought a new lawn mower. used it for about three hours. This spring it wouldn't start so I took it back to Lowes where I had bought it. The guy there asked me if I was running gas with ethanol and I said yes, I didn't think you could buy gas with out it. He tried once to start the mower and replaced it . He said they have to replace them all the time as the ethanol does something to the small engines and they wont run correctly. Probably not what is wrong with yours but something to consider. I buy gas without ethanol now for all my small gas engines or there is an additive you can buy.
WMLT50
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
                 -- John Quincy Adams

Thank You Sponsors!