iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats going on with Woodmizer?

Started by Cypress Man, July 08, 2014, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypress Man

I have always been a LOYAL Woodmizer customer and Woodmizer has always been there when I needed them but i cannot understand why I have been having so many problems lately.  Since 2000 I have purchased  three brand new sawmills from Woodmizer (so you can see where my loyalty lyes) a LT40 Hydraulic, a LT40 Super Hydraulic, and now a wide head LT70 DCS.  The first two mills came in perfectly and any problems I had Woodmizer was always MORE than willing to help ensure any problem was taken care of professionally and promptly.  When I ordered the LT70 DCS I had to wait 3 months for it to be built and I understand that.  It was built in Indy shipped to Mississippi and then delivered to me. Waiting like a kid at Christmas in the driveway when it was delivered, I was suprised to notice it wasnt a DCS.  It came in as a walk behind. It was ordered as a DCS on the paperwork, built specially for me, and delivered from Indy to Mississippi then to Louisiana and no one noticed. I had to wait over a month longer to get the DCS. Even the six boxes of blades I had ordered for it were wrong. SIX BOXES. I sent them all back and they sent six more boxes of wrong spec blades. After a lot of phone calls I finally got the .055x1.5x 1 1/8 tooth spacing 10 degree blades for a LT70 wide head.  I also had to pay several thousand dollars more than what was originally quoted for the mill because the quote i was given wasnt correct.
   Today I recieved the new woodmizer log deck I ordered. When the truck door lifted I immediately noticed it was AWMV green not woodmizer orange. On several occasions I spoke to the Woodmizer dealer about making sure it would be painted woodmizer orange to match the LT70, inclined conveyor, transfer table, and twin blade edger I also have and I was assured that would be taken care of. When I called to say it arrived green they just offered to send me a few cans of spray paint to paint it myself.  When I threatened to refuse delivery they then offered to send someone over to paint it with spray paint. I can understand a mistake in ordering or production sometimes but I never get a clear answer to who and why all of these problems happened.  Hopefully  these problems will get resolved within the corporation and things return to how they have always been with promt, excellent customer service, and outstanding equipment. Woodmizer has always been there for me before and I will still support them.  Just needed to vent off a little frustration. :-\
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

LaneC

This does not sound good at all. Lord willing 1 day I will be physically able to run a mill and I had it narrowed down to a LT 35. I have read another thread about a brand new one being bought and as soon as the technician left it messed up on him pretty good. I am a loyalist also. Once I purchase something and it is good to me I will be very loyal to that brand, but a few of the things I have been reading lately has created some doubts. I know there are a lot of good mills out there and I have heard of their customer service as being excellent in a lot of threads, but it seems lately there have been some substantial changes in the reliability and the customer service as well. Sending cans of spray paint for an investment like that would be like a slap in the face to me. Hopefully it will be resolved. I will continue to watch for these things and hopefully the good things I was used to hearing will continue and the mills will continue to be of great quality. Hope it works out for you.
Man makes plans and God smiles

5quarter

Cypress...That's an unusual series of mishaps, right up to the part about the cans of spray paint for the live deck. That's like ordering a new truck in midnight blue and having it delivered in candy apple red. when you mention it, the Dealer hands you a case of spray paint. I'd be over the edge for sure.
   But you know, even the best companies are not immune from the occasional bone-headed move. I have no doubt that Big Orange will iron it out and make it right for you. They really are a top shelf company...This coming from a guy who doesn't even own one of their saws.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

rooster 58

Wow Cypress Man,
    I'm sorry to hear of all your trouble from WM. It sure would be frustrating to experience issues of that magnitude. Woodmizer has been very good to me, both from the factory and more especially, Marty and Lisa from Shade Gap. I believe that somehow, WM will make it up to you, ease your frustrations, and retain your loyalty. Hang in there.     Scott

delvis

Cypress,  I take it you've never bought a new car from a car dealer if you're not used to having stuff come in the wrong color and all messed up.  It happens.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

Mikey H

Hi Cypress,

I'm the account manager for Wood-Mizer that oversees the MS ASC location along with six others.  I want to assure you that I, along with many others here in Indy, are aware of the mistakes we've made in servicing you on your LT70 order and are greatly concerned with all that has happened.  I've watched Wood-Mizer grow from 3 locations to 15 and from 4 models of sawmills to 89 today.  It affects me deeply every time we fail to maintain the standard we set early on.

I sincerely apologize for the hassles we've caused but especially for the things we've done (or failed to do) that have made you ask the question you posed.  We screwed up.  Multiple times.  So I have personally talked with members of our team and we've come up with new procedures to make sure we don't repeat these mistakes in the future.

We are sending someone from the MS ASC that paints heavy equipment professionally and will use high quality paint (not a can of spray paint!) to get your new log deck to match your new mill. I sincerely hope that you're willing to continue to partner with us in order to experience even greater success in your business, and I apologize again for our mistakes.

Mike Hanlon
Mike Hanlon
I work for Wood-Mizer in the Sales Department.  I am the Account Manager for 8 of our 15 US locations and I oversee the Christian Missions equipment discounts and donations.
mhanlon@woodmizer.com

Napoleon1

Since this thread came up I would also like to say woodmizer is not the same company I bought my first sawmill from in 1994. I am a loyalist also when it comes to equipment. My first purchase was an experience that I told many times to people my second purchase well it was just disappointing from the day I picked up mill till the day my sharpener finally showed up. Not one call from woodmizer.

EZ

I'm not a woodmizer guy but wow what Mike said is really nice of him. EZ

LeeB

Quote from: Napoleon1 on July 09, 2014, 02:45:51 PM
   Since this thread came up I would also like to say woodmizer is not the same company I bought my first sawmill from in 1994. I am a loyalist also when it comes to equipment. My first purchase was an experience that I told many times to people my second purchase well it was just disappointing from the day I picked up mill till the day my sharpener finally showed up. Not one call from woodmizer.

Was there a problem with the mill, delivery, or they just didn't call you?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

tmarch

Repainting doesn't sound like a real fix, altho a nice offer, why not just the correct color to replace it. 
While I've looked at the orange mills and came close to buying 1, with all the problems I've noticed here and elsewhere wondering if "too big for your britches" might apply.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Cypress Man

Delvis: Yes, I have purchased several new cars from Dealers and not once did I ever expect to have problems, much less ones that couldnt immediately get corrected. If not they would never sell me a car again.
Mike H: I really appreciate your reply and appoligy for the issues I've been having.  I dont like being negative but I can honestly say this has been the worst experience ever with Woodmizer since I began dealing with them over 14yrs ago.  I can't ever even get anyone to call me back on issues. I ALWAYS have to call back or nothing happens. As of now I still do not have a date as to when someone will come by to paint this Log deck. Therefore the log deck I just paid 10 grand for will sit outside in the weather hoping someone will come by to repaint it even tho I just waited 3 months to have it built and delivered. You are the first person to actually appoligize and seems sincere in trying to rectify the problem and i appreciate it. I guess I'll wait by the phone and see if they can actually make calls and not just receive them.
EZ: I agree. There are still some very good people to work with at Woodmizer.  I hope they can overcome their current problems to the old company we've all come to love.
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

Dave Shepard

Quote from: tmarch on July 09, 2014, 06:57:55 PM
Repainting doesn't sound like a real fix, altho a nice offer, why not just the correct color to replace it. 
While I've looked at the orange mills and came close to buying 1, with all the problems I've noticed here and elsewhere wondering if "too big for your britches" might apply.

I've heard that more than once about the number of issues with WoodMizer mentioned on the internet. It really irks me, as people don't seem to realize that there are more WoodMizer portable band mills than all the other brands combined, so it makes sense that there are more WoodMizer questions as well. WM goofed in this instance. I would be upset, too. Cypress Man has spent a lot of money to get setup the way he wants, and it should be just that, the way he wants. It's good to see that WM has seen that there is as problem in the way they are processing things internally, and is making changes. I think sending someone out to professionally paint the mill is a sufficient solution. Hopefully this situation has brought about an improvement in the way they track their orders, and it won't happen in the future. No company is perfect, it's how they handle a situation that shows what they are made of. Also, I've learned, there are some people that just won't be pleased, no matter what the situation or how great the company. (And I'm not saying that is you Cypress Man, you've got a legitimate issue). If it sounds like I'm cheerleading, well, I am a bit. I've been very happy with WM, and I don't like seeing them put down. But if you read enough of my posts, you'll see I try to support the other mill companies on here that stand by their customers as well.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bruno of NH

I've been in business for 27 years you should never forget where you came from and who helped you get there . All it takes is a phone call to show you care .
Jim Bruno of Nh
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

manoverboard

Quote from: delvis on July 09, 2014, 10:46:18 AM
Cypress,  I take it you've never bought a new car from a car dealer if you're not used to having stuff come in the wrong color and all messed up.  It happens.

Unacceptable! The customer service element in all but gone from our corporate society. I have heard many many good things about WM I'm sure this will be taken care of. I believe Cypress Man has every right to post his frustration. No one should be expected to just accept what is handed to them.  >:( >:( >:( >:(
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

drobertson

sometimes it takes a wake up call to stir the pot.  There are issues, with all manufactures, in all realms of tooling and machinery.  this sounds like a major miss CA bobble  for sure.  I am a die hard WMZ customer as well, but have dealt with things that have pushed me as well.  This will soon pass, and lumber will be made. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

I've never met a bad Wood-Mizer representative in my years of dealing with the company!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

reswire

I purchased an Lt 40 this year, and couldn't be happier with the mill and the customer service.  I'm not saying that because of brand loyalty,,, I'm saying it because it is true.  During the first three months, I was contacted by my Woodmizer dealership several times, each time to ask about my satisfaction with the mill and the way it was performing.  I think that is pretty darn good for any company, and I am very satisfied with the product and the people backing it. 

If there is anyone out there thinking of buying a mill and not sure which to go with, just go to a demo day when all brands are present and you will see quickly which brand suits your particular needs.  After watching the demo, ask yourself how you will make inevitable repairs, and is there a reliable availability of parts and expertise to help you make those repairs. 

I realize I don't work my mill for a living, or probably not nearly as dependent on a mill as most folks on this forum, but I have owned two other brands before Woodmizer, and I wouldn't go back to the others as it stands now.  I also have to put in a plug for the people in Shade Gap, Pa.;  they represent the brand they sell extremely well. They have contacted me several times after my purchase just to see how things were going, and if they could be of any help with my mill.   No one in today's corporate world does that.   Except for Marty and Co....  ;D

Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

POSTON WIDEHEAD

There are mistakes made with any company making any product at any given time.
When a mistake is made, some how the right people up the ladder should be made aware.
Unfortunately some companies mistakes are never brought to the attention to the right people so the mistake can be made right and procedures can be changed accordingly.
Cypress, I think IMO, you have brought up some mistakes in a very professional manner.
I am a Woodmizer owner and will buy one again.
Personally I feel the mistake you have brought to light, will reach the right people in the Woodmizer company and changes will be made.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

GDinMaine

I think that in a way a mistake of this magnitude could happen, because the equipment was "large" and expensive.  Your order might have gone through several hands at the company, and most of those folks had no direct contact with you. All it took is someone making a mistake and the order kept going like that.  Wrong mill built and coincidentally the wrong paint applied to the deck. Major mistakes and my guess is people at WM are hearing about it too.

On the other hand.  A month or so ago I talked to a technician at WM, telling him my troubles with the blade tracking in a tricky log.  He gave me advice and he suggested I try a certain blade. I received a blade a week later. The company still bothers with something trivial, such as sending out a free blade, just so someone can try it and remain satisfied their product when it works well.
That says something too. 
I understand your frustration, Cypress Man, but I don't think it is a general trend.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

hackberry jake

IMO they should've given you the upgrade for free, and sent you another log deck. Sure, their profit wouldn't have been as high, but the customer would've gotten what he ordered.

on a side note, If you want to send the ole 70 wide head to Arkansas, I would gladly pay shipping to take the troubles off your hands  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

LaneC

It sounds to me, that the proper people have now been made aware of the situation and they will take care of it. (hopefully) I know you must be fuming, but like someone else said, It has gotten to the right people to take care of it. I wish you luck in a speedy fix. It is nice to know that they are watching the situation and commenting on it, rather than just letting it go by. Again, I wish you a speedy fix and please keep us informed.
Man makes plans and God smiles

rasman57

No matter what else happened around this bad situation, not returning customer phone calls is the worse way to operate.  If your message had been about wanting to spend more money do you think someone would ignore you?    The public apology is a responsible start.  The actual follow up will be instructive.     A good product will always lose out to bad customer service.  The old adage about one guy telling a LOT of people about bad business just happened. 

Hope you get it all sorted out.  They have a lot of fans and are known for quality.   So did other companies that are no longer enjoying that status.    You deserve better and have way more understanding than some of us I suspect.   Good luck and we will be interested in the end.

barbender

Teething pains. I suspect WM will make this right.
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: barbender on July 10, 2014, 10:23:04 PM
Teething pains. I suspect WM will make this right.

I agree......look what GM is going through, Ford is having recalls, Honda is having recalls.......its just gonna happen sooner or later. Anything can be made right and we all learn from mistakes.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!