iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NG from the farm

Started by BCMac, July 08, 2014, 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCMac

Hi all

Brand new here and to all of this in general. Bought a small farm last year with about 40 acres of various trees. Have a couple of barns, shops, etc to build over the next few years so I've been exploring the Woodland Mills set up to get me there.

Probably be doing a lot of lurking and reading for a while, but wanted to introduce myself in the meantime.

Mac

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Lots of wood farmers on here.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

CrimsonCutter

Hi Mac and welcome!  I am new here as well and I too have a farm. I haven't bought a mill yet but am currently learning all I can from these fine folks here at the FF!!!, until I do.
If your not learning...your not living!

ely

welcome new guy from the farm, minus the f :-X

BCMac

Thanks guys. Looking forward to it.

Here's the farm for reference.

Hopefully there's enough useful timber to make this worthwhile. I'll be doing some estimates and a species assessment later this week.

dblair

welcome , do you know how pretty that place is ?  I'm impressed , to bad it's cold in the winter and it has to last so long  . is it Vancouver like or Juneau cold ?
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Magicman

Hello BCMac, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   8)

I was in Williams Lake a few years ago, so I have been in the neighborhood.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

Looks like you have a pretty good size tree line and beautiful Farm land.
The trees on edges may have more Pasture type trees with a lot more lower branches but the ones beyond and within the forest should be able to sustain you with your wood needs.  I can't keep up with natural downfalls from the wind every year.
Good luck with your new Farm and sawing endeavors. :)

BCMac

Quote from: dblair on July 08, 2014, 05:36:55 PM
welcome , do you know how pretty that place is ?  I'm impressed , to bad it's cold in the winter and it has to last so long  . is it Vancouver like or Juneau cold ?

Probably closer to Juneau than Vancouver. We had a pretty standard winter temperature wise this year. It got as low as -30 but typical was closer to the -15 to -20 range. We did, however, have snow early and often.

Still lovely, just a colder, whiter lovely. What's great is when it's not snowing it's sunny and bright in the winter.

BCMac

Quote from: Magicman on July 08, 2014, 05:45:42 PM
Hello BCMac, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   8)

I was in Williams Lake a few years ago, so I have been in the neighborhood.   ;D

Not too far at all. We're about 40 minutes from Willies Puddle.

CrimsonCutter

That is soooo beautifu!
If your not learning...your not living!

ozarkgem

anyone who lives in a place call Horsefly has got to be OK. Welcome to the forum.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

LaneC

Welcome. That is a beautiful place.
Man makes plans and God smiles

5quarter

If you were raising scenery as a crop, you'd be a rich man.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mac
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dboyt

Outstanding photos of a beautiful place.  I'm looking forward to more photos with a sawmill in them.  I manage a tree farm in Missouri, and can't imagine not having a sawmill!  Welcome to the forum.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

goose63

Hi Mac welcome to the Forum I have the wood land 126 put mine on a trailer by your self its a lot of work as its all manual. but then you are young and I am 64 but I still enjoy mine

I can cut a 16 ft log
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

mad murdock

Welcome Mac!  Central BC is a nice place to be!  Nice looking field you have there. Any gas or oil in your area?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

BCMac

Quote from: 5quarter on July 09, 2014, 01:42:56 AM
If you were raising scenery as a crop, you'd be a rich man.  ;)

Fortunately we do have a nice log cabin on the property for just that purpose!

BCMac

Quote from: mad murdock on July 09, 2014, 01:11:25 PM
Welcome Mac!  Central BC is a nice place to be!  Nice looking field you have there. Any gas or oil in your area?

No oil or gas here. Just gold. Not that I've found any yet but I haven't spent much time in the river looking just yet either!

BCMac

Quote from: goose63 on July 09, 2014, 10:45:29 AM
Hi Mac welcome to the Forum I have the wood land 126 put mine on a trailer by your self its a lot of work as its all manual. but then you are young and I am 64 but I still enjoy mine

I can cut a 16 ft log

Good looking rig. I'd love to put it on a trailer as well but I think that's currently out side of my skill set. How do you get your logs up there? Tractor? Hoist? Forks?

goose63

I use that little tractor to skid with too blow snow blade drive way and lot of other stuff
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

mesquite buckeye

Welcome.  ;D   I'm guessing that the whole farm is over 40 acres, as those little trees in the forground look a little small to make toothpicks from. :snowball: smiley_biggrin01
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

BCMac

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on July 09, 2014, 02:58:48 PM
Welcome.  ;D   I'm guessing that the whole farm is over 40 acres, as those little trees in the forground look a little small to make toothpicks from. :snowball: smiley_biggrin01

Thanks. And you're correct. The whole place is around 110. The wood lot is  about 40 acres. It's in a lower lying section to the left of the fourth picture

I'm hoping for more than toothpicks. Chopsticks perhaps?

MSSawmill

Beautiful place! When are you inviting us all up to "help you out with the new mill"? ;)
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

Thank You Sponsors!