iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stick to scale logs

Started by tgalbraith, July 08, 2014, 03:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgalbraith

HI to all, I've been reading but not writing for awhile now.  Here is a little gadget I dreamed up, that may be useful to some of you.  I wanted and easy and convenient way to estimate board feet from raw logs.  I searched the "tool" section of the forum and found a tool that would convert my dimensions ( diameter plus log length) into board feet.   I copied down the results for diameters from 6" to 30" and lengths from 8' to 14. I then took a length of 1x1 three feet long (actually a piece of sticker) and scribed a line around it every two inches and marked indicated inches on the stick.  I then marked each of the four sides with 8', 10', 12' and 14'. Then I copied down the estimated board foot values. I added a small plastic disk on the end to help hold when taking the readings.  It took longer to download the pictures to my gallery than it did to build the stick. I think it will be very  handy around the mill. Hope every one is enjoying a nice summer.  I'm going to try and put some pictures of the stick on this post. :snowball:

M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

Magicman

Congrats on the log scale and the pictures.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I wouldn't even attempt to try to make one of these.....I'd mess up some where. So I ordered me an International and a Doyle stick from Logrite.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Alligator

Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tgalbraith

Hold up there, I wasn't claiming that I re-invented the wheel.  Every tip that I have submitted is probably produced commercially.  I grew up thru the depression, when if you needed some tool, etc; you made it or
did without. If in fact, I was sawing commercially and was scaling customer logs; it would seem more professional to have a $45.00 stick. But since I only saw as a hobby and would like to have a simple way to
estimate yield from a log, I think this will do just fine.

I in no means meant to step on any sponsors toes, and if I did; then I apologize.   
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

dboyt

Tgalbraith, I don't think that anyone was being critical of your scale stick, but just pointing out that there is a commercial option for those who don't have the skill, imagination, or inclination to make their own.  Did you mark your stick to the Doyle scale?  I can see the advantage of making one, to create a custom scale.  My Norwood mill pretty consistently produces lumber at International 1/4 scale + 14%.  A custom made scale would help estimate board footage for my customers.  Plus, the way I leave things out in the woods (there's a pair of chaps and many gloves out there somewhere), a scale made from a sticker is a great idea.  Thank you for posting, and for the photos!  And as always, there's an app for that, but I'm not risking having a smart phone join the chaps & gloves!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Magicman

Quote from: tgalbraith on July 09, 2014, 07:26:34 AM
Hold up there, I wasn't claiming that I re-invented the wheel.   I in no means meant to step on any sponsors toes, and if I did; then I apologize.   
I did not see it that way at all.  My congrats in Reply #1 were sincere.   :)

Threads do have a way of wondering and getting slightly off course, but at least this one has not made it to food yet.   :)

36 coupe

My log hauler was home built several years before I bought my sawmill.My log hauler cost 200.00 to build while a factory made one would cost 2000.00.That amount was almost half the cost of my mill.A dollar saved is a dollar earned.My scale stick cost 6 bucks a long time ago.I would like to see a stick made for band mills.Ive always found enough logs on my place so the stick is not needed.If I do buy a log it can be scaled.I have 6 axes.My favorite is one my Uncle gave me 45 years ago.The International scale is calculated for a1/4 inch kerf.The Doyle scale is not accurate on small logs.Too hot to saw much now but I have a nice red oak log on the mill now.

Alligator

I'm sorry as well. That is great. I scaled logs for 20 years also. For personal use it's great. My only concern was, occasionally I ran across loggers that wanted to accuse me/CBLC of something shady. I had them put a ruler against my stick or complain if there was a little too much turpentine on the inside of the square. I can't imagine what they would have said about a home made stick. Some of my loggers were pretty large and ornery. :D
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

SwampDonkey

My brother found this for me online when buying a logger's tape.  It's a little warped from being in someone's shed or barn I think. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

That classifies as memorabilia.   8)

terrifictimbersllc

This article (p2) says the international scale started as 1/8".  https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/fnr/fnr-191.pdf

Probably not much market for 1/8"  sticks then.  Maybe now there could be since so many bandsaws?  Log-Rite new product?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SwampDonkey

The back side of this has 3 other scales to.   8, 10, 18

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Yours is marked exactly like mine, but yours is obviously designed for crooked lumber.   :D

SwampDonkey

And there is always lots of crooked logs to make it to.  ;D :D

beenthere

And SD, which log scale is the stick made for?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

This is for already dimensioned 4/4 lumber. The scales along the brass metal head are the lengths of lumber. On the wood part it just tells you the footage based on width. There is a little dot engraved by each number in the wood, I assume the mark to measure.

No idea why the handle end is made with a split, it was also rounded I assume to make it easier on the hands than squared edges.

Someone has a website showing this exact stick along with 2 log scales used in Maine.

beenthere

Thought so.. that it is a lumber scale stick, not a log scale stick. ;)

Trying to trip us up....  :D

The handle is split as it originally had a wood wedge glued in place, that may have been lost along the way. Gives a bit of a swell to the handle for hanging on to the stick. The wood is thin and flexible so the end can be laid down on a board without bending the back so much.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I never said it was a log scale, I tucked it into the first thread I could find on a scale stick. :D I said it had several scales. And it does, one for each length of lumber. :D I figured that out when I looked down 12" and seen all the lengths=board footage. ;) It seems simple, but you'd be surprised how that would stump someone if they had no clue about lumber, logs or scaling. :D

Magicman

I am glad that I used the word "lumber" in my Reply #14.  ;D

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

You need some snow.  :snowball:   

:D :D :D

beenthere

Here is a lumber scale stick showing the wedge insert in the handle.

south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

Pretty cool.  ;D The brass on mine is quite old "appearing", some pitting on the top.

Thank You Sponsors!