Patten Lumberman's Museum

Started by Tam-i-am, July 07, 2014, 05:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

Logrite had the opportunity to visit the Patten Lumberman's Museum in Patten, ME.

They had several buildings on site.  1820 Camp (constructed with axe and froe, pegs- no nails)  Very small inside.

They also had a horse hovel, saw mill, blacksmith shop, another camp from 1850's.
Very interesting place.  Lots of old tools.  Learned a few things.

Like that the guys ate 4 meals a day: breakfast, first lunch, second lunch and dinner.  The rules for eating in the galley were interesting- the guys were not allowed to talk while they ate because talking wasted time and made a lot of noise!  I think I might put this rule in use at our house. :D  check out the tin place settings

Guys must have been shorter as width of three bunks were as long as our beds today.  Hope they liked there coworkers!

Ok now for the tools.  Do you know what a swing dingle is?  predates the peavey, what gave Peavey the idea for the Peavey.

Here is another one mounted on a pole and hanging in the camp.

Supposedly Peavey saw the guys struggling with the dingle hook and pike poles, so combined the two to make the peavey. Below is pike pole.

Kevin's favorite thing was the Lombard shed where the 2 Lombard log hauler was stored.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Tam-i-am

There were two other things that caught my attention.
It was obvious the work was dangerous, working conditions would never pass any of OSHA's present standards and wages were low.  Living conditions weren't much better.  The guys would cut all fall and winter and drive the logs down the river in the spring. They didn't see their families all that time.

This next pic was in there as an oddity.  They had several burls and trees that grew together and such.  All interesting but this one really stuck out for some reason.  At first, I thought it must be a Logrite because the hook bit right in and wouldn't let go and so was then abandoned by the owner.  I quickly came to my senses and realized that the handle had rotted away and that just can't happen with a Logrite.  Mine would still have a handle! ;D

Mooseherder

They paid the Cooks the most.  I was surprised to see that.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

The cook was the Main Man for the camp. Those men worked hard and needed a good diet to keep going. I would not want a hundred hungey men mad at me.
I can still hear my Father tell me he use to shovel gravel in a truck for a buck a day. That would of been around the late 30's.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Thanks Tammy for sharing a bit of history.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tam-i-am

Quote from: Magicman on July 08, 2014, 07:30:59 AM
Thanks Tammy for sharing a bit of history.   smiley_thumbsup

I wish I had brought my camera and took more pictures.

So no one knows what a swing dingle is?  I think it is clever but can see why it is frustrating to work with.

Clever because it is easy to pack and carry in, then pound it through any pole for a handle.