iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharing from the Garden

Started by StimW, July 07, 2014, 12:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StimW

I have a nice garden and enjoy growing vegetables. Most of the time I end up with way more than I can use.  I am always giving away produce to friends and neighbors and they will give back when they have extras.
A couple years ago I picked 576 cucumbers from a 20' X 20' plot!! I was getting two 5 gal buckets every two days! I was everybody's friend that summer. :)
I was hanging bags of them on the mailbox for the mailman, I even gave two bags to the guys that loaded a mattress and box spring for me at Big Lots.
Something I like to do is one of the County Firehouses is about one mile away. They love it when I bring produce to them. One of them told me that they have to pay for their own food during their long shifts and it really helps.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

sandhills

Sounds good, mine froze this year and I never got another started  :'(.  My dad always took his extra stuff to our local food pantry, then all of a sudden they couldn't take it anymore because of USDA or OSHA regulations or something  ::), never quite figured that one out.

21incher

Quote from: sandhills on July 07, 2014, 03:14:11 PM
Sounds good, mine froze this year and I never got another started  :'(.  My dad always took his extra stuff to our local food pantry, then all of a sudden they couldn't take it anymore because of USDA or OSHA regulations or something  ::), never quite figured that one out.
We have a big garden and always have extra veggies. Our local food pantry will not take it either. GMO free and fresh it seems a waste to throw it in the compost pile when there are hungry people out there.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

I enjoy giving veggies away too.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

trapper

we gave away a lot of asparagus this year.  Several times to a widow who with her husband were very good to the kids and I in the past.  At times we would pick 3  5 quart icecream pails full every other day. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

SLawyer Dave

I had so many seed starts germinate this year with my new home made seed germinator, that I ended up giving away over 200 plants to employees, friends, and a bunch of court and law enforcement employees I work with.  Now, when I am trying to give away all of the extra fruit and vegies out of my garden, I have to look for people who didn't take my plants....because they are also trying to give stuff away. 

Luckily, I have taken pity on a couple of deranged "vegetarians", so they take anything and everything I can produce since they can't have their own gardens.  There is a 93 year old man down the road that rides his bike by our house every day for exercise.  One day while I was out splitting wood, he stopped by to talk.  We got talking about gardens, (he was a farmer), and he was lamenting the fact that he just can't handle all of the labor of having a garden anymore and hates the tasteless tomatoes he buys in the store, (a tomato sandwich is apparently his favorite lunch).  So I took him down a bunch a couple of weeks ago, and now he stops by in the evenings once a week to see if I have any "extras".   I haven't had to turn him away yet.

StimW

I also have a Blueberry Orchard (?) that myself and friends picked 12-14 gallons of berries this year!
These berries are HUGE! The size of a dime and when put in pancakes they stick out both sides!
I always add cinnamon to my pancake mix too. YUM! 

New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!