iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Day using the New LT35 Hyd

Started by JHEchevers, July 06, 2014, 11:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHEchevers

Today we begin with the visit of technicians Wood-Mizer, I take some settings before operating the sawmill. First day of operations, we saw a couple of logs, everything looks perfect, impeccable cuts, final high quality wood (in this case caribbean pine).

Goodbye to Wood-Mizer technicians, they had a long journey back to the city. After a while a problem with the blade is present, it is completely out of the wheel guide. Phoned technicians, recommended to verify the blade tension, so we continue to put the blade back into the guide wheel. The problem is returned to submit twice. The last of these were in progress when a wood cutting, which bend the blade a bit and take some time to achieve her out of there. I hope here in the forum for the experience they can recommend something (the tension was ok, and everything looked good, etc..)

We could be the accumulation of waste pine wood sawdust, will test tomorrow with a brand new blade. Wish me luck..

The guy in the pic is my brother.

Greetings from Panama

Ianab

The logs / trees look good. Are they pruned to remove the lower branches?

If you can see sap or sawdust building up on the band, then that's going to cause a problem. Although pine is fairly soft, and should cut easily it can have a lot of sticky pitch that will build up on the blade, especially if it gets warm. There are all sorts of favourite recipes that folks use to lube and cool the blade, usually water with some sort of detergent, You might have to increase the lube flow, and experiment with different brews to find what works best with that particular wood.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

MartyParsons

Hello.
Yes the pine pitch will make the blade come off if it accumulates on the wheel belts and or blade. What are you putting in the blade lube bottle? The container is 5 gal. So you should add 1 pint of pine sol + 1 table spoon of dawn dish soap and fill the rest with water.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

petefrom bearswamp

Now you have gone and done it.
You have the sawdust disease.
Time and experience are the only way to become proficient in sawing.
Best of luck with your venture.
Pitch buildup is a problem, but Marty's advice is spot on.
I have also used Diesel fuel in a spray bottle to remove heavy accumulation of pitch.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

JHEchevers

I think is more a problem with the tracking cause the blade isn't aligned on the guide wheel...  See the picture... Need some help here...

We follow al the manual's procedure about the blade, we put it on the sawmill with 3mm to 75 mm, then start the machine put the blade on, then stop the machine and check the aligment, the pic bellow is the results...

Best Regards

Delawhere Jack

That does look like a tracking issue. Was any adjustment made to the tracking of the drive side band wheel? If so, were the adjusting nuts tightened securely?

I would suggest removing the band and then grasp the sides of the drive wheel and see if it can be moved.

This adjustment is not needed often. Perhaps it was adjusted and the bolts were not tightened sufficiently. Then putting tension on the band would pull the wheel out of alignment.

JHEchevers

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on July 07, 2014, 05:00:00 PM
That does look like a tracking issue. Was any adjustment made to the tracking of the drive side band wheel? If so, were the adjusting nuts tightened securely?

I would suggest removing the band and then grasp the sides of the drive wheel and see if it can be moved.

This adjustment is not needed often. Perhaps it was adjusted and the bolts were not tightened sufficiently. Then putting tension on the band would pull the wheel out of alignment.

No, we did not make any adjustment to the tracking of the drive side band wheel....  It just happened with the config the machine bring from the factory

MartyParsons

Hello,
Ok let us start.
Remove the band and the wheel belts.
Check the v grove ( Sheave ) of the pulley. Is it sticky? Rotate the wheel belts after checking to see if anything is stuck to the inside or outside. Rotate = move the drive side B-57 belt to the idle side and vise versa. You can spray with WD40 to clean. Hold the drive wheel at 3 and 9 and do a wobble test. It should not move. You will need to hold the brake away from the wheel so it can move but not enough to tighten the drive belt. If ok then go to the next step.
Install a new band. Tighten the band to the proper tension. Close the cover and start the engine. Engage the band so the wheel turns slowly ( about 3 or 4 turns) Shut the engine off and check the tracking. It should look about like the idle side you have in the picture.
If the drive side is way out get the owners manual read the directions on how to adjust.  You want the outside of the wheel above the sawdust shoot to move in the direction you want the band to move. From the picture the wheel should move toward the operator.
This is not a common issue so make sure everything checks out. If you find a bolt loose on the tracking adjustment then you found the issue. If everything is tight and has not changed from the first blade then recheck again.
You can look at the drive side blade guide roller, the clearance from the back of the blade should be 1/16 from the roller flange. If it is more than that then the blade has moved forward from where it was set at the factory.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

sparks

How far is the back of the blade from the blade guide roller flange? I have a hard time believing a wheel has moved if all the bolts are tight. We could have a wheel belt that has broken down and not holding the blade in position.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

JHEchevers

Quote from: sparks on July 10, 2014, 03:34:03 PM
How far is the back of the blade from the blade guide roller flange? I have a hard time believing a wheel has moved if all the bolts are tight. We could have a wheel belt that has broken down and not holding the blade in position.

In the Idle Side it is about 3.5 milimeters, and on the drive side it is about 1.5 mimileters...

sparks

Are those the measurements with the blade sitting on the wheels like the pictures show? If it is then the rollers are set wrong.

Lift the rollers up until they do not touch the blade. Re-install the blade and track it with the rollers not on the blade. How does the blade track now?
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

backwoods sawyer

When I bought my mill used it had a bad tracking issue. Using a long straight edge across both wheels was able to track down bad bearings in the idle side swing arm. don't over look the adjuster bolt on the idle side as the idle side will track it right off the wheel as fast as a drive side issue will.
Changing tention changed how the saw tracked as well so be consistant with blade tightness and these guys will help you solve this issue.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!