iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Muscle cramps

Started by Okrafarmer, July 04, 2014, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfadvm

I keep tellin y'all that 12 ounces of Tonic water will prevent or stop my muscle cramps right now.

A

beenthere

Good friend of mine said for years he had to have a bottle of tonic water a day or he'd get cramps.

Not sure it is right to do, but worked for him.

Here is some info.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/04/quinine-for-night-time-leg-cramps-no-longer-recommended/index.htm

But if it works, what the hey.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gfadvm

Quote from: beenthere on October 17, 2014, 09:05:06 PM
Good friend of mine said for years he had to have a bottle of tonic water a day or he'd get cramps.

Not sure it is right to do, but worked for him.

Here is some info.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/04/quinine-for-night-time-leg-cramps-no-longer-recommended/index.htm

But if it works, what the hey.  ;)

Thanks for that link but those prescription dosages are WAY higher than a 12 oz. bottle of Tonic Water

hardtailjohn

Larry, I know just what you're talking about. Been there and done that.  I drink alot of Gatorade and that usually helps alot..... but I was still having them. Like Windy Acres said, the Western Dr's like to just treat the symptoms... I wasn't having any luck with that routine.... I found another Dr. and he did some tests and told me I was allergic to pork.  :o  I quit eating pork and am happy to announce that it stopped all that muscle cramping!  I can take a taste of pork and the next day I'll be hurting like mad...but if I behave myself, I'm fine.  Since discovering this, I've met a few other people that are the same way.
Your mileage may vary....
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

LeeB

The cramps would have to be awful bad for me to completely give up pork. Is it any pork, or just cured pork?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Dates are also high in potassium as well. Buckwheat is high in magnesium.  Buckwheat cotains chiro-inositol which helps increase cells sensitivity to insulin which leads to better blood sugar regulation. Buckwheat is high in the lignan enterolactone which has been shown to protect against breast and other hormone driven cancers. Good for eye health as well as they contain leutin and zeaxanthin.

This info taken from web sites and product labels.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gullydweller

Your muscles contract and relax through the use of inter cellular pumps called sodium and potassium pumps.  When you deplete yourself of either of these your muscles can not contract and relax properly resulting in muscle spasms and cramps.  If you are working hard in the heat and sweating a lot and only drinking water you will basically dilute your blood of these minerals.  It is called hyponutriemia (probably spelled wrong). 

I run ultra marathons and run into this problem often. Plenty to drink at aid stations but not enough salts to replace the ones I sweat out.  Therefore every drink of water I take only dilutes me more.  I now carry salt tabs as well as a small shaker of salt on every race over 30 km and don't have much problem with cramps any more.

So on those hot "bucket sweating days" drink fluids like Gatorade that help replace salts, and have a salty lunch.  For breakfast and dinner have a glass of milk and a banana, and shake a little extra salt on your well deserved steak.  Not everyday but on the days you really sweat it out!

Timber framer, dreamer and father to two little rippers.

Magicman

Last month, we had a high school football player who died after collapsing during practice.  He had drank too much water without enough electrolytes.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

I think I like the idea of Epson salt in hot bath, 12 oz of tonic......maybe some gin to help it go down! 8)

hardtailjohn

Quote from: LeeB on October 17, 2014, 11:42:51 PM
The cramps would have to be awful bad for me to completely give up pork. Is it any pork, or just cured pork?

Lee, they really were bad! I LOVED pork!!  My mouth still waters at the thought of a cold ham sandwich. :o
It's any pork for me... just can't have it. I can tell in a few hours and the next day I'm miserable!  Sometimes it feels like someone's got a knife through my arms..... just isn't worth it.  Until this happened, I never realized what all pork is included in!!!
JH
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

LeeB

Sorry to hear that for you. I know I have withdrawals just giving it up for a month at a time while I'm at work.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Okrafarmer

Maybe my muscle cramps are a result of being deprived of Moxie.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

red oaks lumber

you might want to look at the definition closer okra :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Chuck White

My doctor suggested Calcium & Magnesium!

So, I guess I'll give it a try.

I never had problems with leg cramps in the past, wonder if it's related to me walking for each one of the boards I sawed this summer!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Been taking Centrum, the one formulated for muscles, and no trouble in my calves since. Also eating my banana, but always have eaten one anyway. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Windy_Acres

Ive got a couple unique health problems, that are more or less a result of lousy DNA. Thanks Dad !

Anyway, I get, pretty regular, and expensive blood work panels done, ordered by a doctor that specializes in health problems and nutrition. The blood tests look at whats in my blood as far as minerals, and hormones. I had cardio problems, until I got my body/dna specific diet straightened out. I lost 30 pounds as a result and never "dieted" it just fell off, and needed to go anyway. Lots of other little health problems disappeared simultaneously.

Long and short of it, Ive learned from the Dr., just about everyone, has an imbalance of minerals/vitamins in their system. In some folks it manifests its self in many ways, others, it does not show any signs for years or even decades, until you wake up one day and find out you have "x" number of "x" to live, because you body has been bankrupt of this or that for a myriad of reasons. Can be DNA, can be environment, can be both.

The leg cramps is just one of them things. Can be one of at least 3 minerals, commonly anyway.

So are most skin afflictions (Dermatologists, most anyway will either never admit, or are simply unaware). Most arthritis, thyroid problems, colon problems, you name it, short of being bad DNA, or an actual virus, you can trace it back to diet or environment. I know cardiologist that makes the same claim, diet specific to ones body, not a general diet, can either put cardio disease into action, or keep it completely at bay She says 99% of westerners with Cardio diesease could be prevented with diet, only 1% are screwed via the DNA, hard to fathom, no ? Another little fact that most Cardiologists' wont admit too, or not aware, same goes for Cancer and Oncologists.

You eating the right diet for your body/dna, does not provide them with an income, so its not really practiced or preached.

2 weeks ago, I was seeing a regular Dr. of mine, we had this conversation, after he mentioned he was learning from me. I followed that up with a What ?

To which he replied, "we dont learn everything we need to know in med school". Which left me thinking, "well that is not very comforting, considering what Im paying you !!! I dont have insurance, and he AINT cheap. But he's learning from me, scary man, just scary !

And Im only seeing the Dr, who is unscrewing a mess another MD left me in !!!!! Yes, as a whole, I have  pretty low opinion of Drs', at this point, I think Id rather take my chances with a Veterinary.

Food for thought, no pun intended. Dont believe anything a MD tells you, research it for yourself.

Edit, let me throw this out there, your body is like youre saw, take really good care of it, and it will last, run it lean, hot, hard and dull and see what happens.

Larry

Update:

My leg cramps always come during the early morning hours and I've had them  nearly my entire life on a intermittent basis.

Potassium reduced the severity/frequency of the cramps.  Magnesium was of no help.  According to my last blood test I'm in the normal to normal/high range on minerals.

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on October 17, 2014, 04:34:56 PM
I've tried all the supplements, but the best supplement I have found is water.  For me, I have to drink a lot of water to keep the cramping at bay.  If I'm getting cramps, its usually from dehydration. 

This was the first I've heard of drinking water but I decided to give it a shot.  Started drinking a 12 ounce glass of water 10-17 and every day since right before bed.  As of today,11-16-14 I have not had one leg cramp.  After two weeks I discontinued the potassium.

Water seems to be the cure for me.  I'll update this thread again if conditions change.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

elk42

Larry
Water works for me also and bottled water with 1 t spoon sugar, 1 t salt and little
lemon juice. 
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Nate379

Last couple weeks was bothering me real bad.  I started drinking more (water!) and also taking a multivitamin and that has seemed to help out.

Okrafarmer

You know, when I was in ag school, in crops class, they taught us a similar thing about crops. Any plant needs a variety of inputs and conditions-- Water, CO2, Sunlight, Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorus, proper soil PH, trace minerals, soil consistency, etc.

They showed us a drawing of a wooden barrel with staves, and on each stave, the name of one of these plant needs was written. They showed that if any one of the staves was broken off shorter than the others, the water in the barrel (picturing plant health) would run out at the lowest point. It didn't matter if the plant had enough water, enough sunlight, enough nitrogen, enough potassium-- if the phosphorus level was too low, the plant would only thrive up to the level of the broken off phosphorus stave of the barrel. The same was true for any other input. The level of plant health was only equal to the level of the lowest critical input.

Similar things are no doubt true for our body.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Nate379

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 22, 2014, 04:42:52 PM

Every time I visit Maine I "smuggle" a few bottles back to AK.  That and red hot dogs.  I fill up on Mom 's chicken stew too, probably eat 3-4 gallons of it!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Nate379 on November 18, 2014, 07:50:58 AM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 22, 2014, 04:42:52 PM

Every time I visit Maine I "smuggle" a few bottles back to AK.  That and red hot dogs.  I fill up on Mom 's chicken stew too, probably eat 3-4 gallons of it!

Yep, I hear ya.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!