iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Muscle cramps

Started by Okrafarmer, July 04, 2014, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

I may not be able to find the kind of help I need-- maybe because there seems to be so much random thought and little kind of proof about my condition.

I've always had a few muscle cramps now and then throughout my life. They seem to be most often in the summer, most often when I'm getting up in the morning, and they can sometimes be temporarily debilitating. Sometimes they can interrupt my work.

Earlier in my life, they were limited mainly to my legs and feet. In the last year or so, I've started getting them in my arms, hands, back, and abdomen at times, too. In the last couple weeks, they've been very disruptive. This morning when I got up, both quadriceps and one triceps cramped. It was twenty minutes before I could function. Yesterday, I was hammering on the sawmill and my arm and shoulder cramped up, interrupting my work significantly.

I can ask what causes this, and how can I stop it? But I have a feeling there will be many different ideas because it seems there are multiple ideas out there. Is it just part of regular human existence? Get used to it, get over it, quit being a crybaby? These things are massively painful and disruptive and I can imagine them being dangerous if one takes me at a critical moment while I'm driving or running equipment.   :(
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

sawguy21

Getting enough water? Dehydration will do that, I learned it the hard way.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Windy_Acres

Simple things first, are you running a magnesium deficiency ? IIRC there are other vitamins you need to convert the magnesium too. Do some reading on magnesium, if youre not getting it in your diet, you may need to take a supplement.

You can take the supplement for week or two, and if thats the problem, you will start to see a difference. One caveat, may make you go #2 more frequently.

Id call that the low hanging fruit before spending money on other things, if youre looking for relief.

Good luck !

thecfarm

I have that once in a while,but never through the day. Sometimes in the night I am woken up by cramps,but only once a month. Than I hobble around the house for 10-15 minutes trying to get rid of the cramp.
Must be lots and lots of solutions on the internet. BUT you have to find one that works. My diet is not the best. I do try to have a banana a day. And as stated lots and lots of water. Water works for me,but there again you may need to add something to the water to suit it to your body needs. And I am in Maine,you lived here,temps are diffeant than SC. We have just gone through a few days of warm weather. I was drinking alot of water. But not really enough. I only went to the bathroom about twice in 6 hours. Fluids are very important when working. Don't say.I'll get a drink in a minute,than that minute turn into 15.
Those cramps are no fun. No one should have to get use to them. I'm a big crybaby at 2am too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LeeB

I would really recomend you see a doctor about this. There are so many things that can cause it and some of them can be quite serious.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Okrafarmer

Yeah, if I don't get some relief I will go to the doc. Took magnesium pills starting yesterday-- no cramps so far today. I haven't got out and worked yet either, staying home with kids until my wife gets back from shopping.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Larry

I've had leg cramps my entire life.  Almost always come at night or early morning following a day of strenuous activity.  I just put up with them thinking they were a normal part of my life.  About five years ago they began to be more severe.  A leg would cramp and stay that way for twenty minutes.  Sometimes the other leg would cramp.  The muscles were so tight that my leg would hurt for a day or two.

I've asked Doctors about it over the years and about all they could recommend was eating bananas.  The Doctor I have now is an old guy and said quinine would cure cramps.  Doc said he could write a prescription but unfortunately quinine has become expensive, because of regulation.  He suggested I try an over the counter potassium pill at night.  That really helped.  I still get leg cramps but they are not as frequent and never as severe as they used to be.  Give the potassium a try.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jeff

I've had the same problems and Banana's and remembering to drink plenty of water a day when it is warm or I am very active has helped a lot.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Windy_Acres

I replied to this thread, because for 20 years I would get charley horses while in bed. Once I got my supplements lined out, Ive never had another charley since. My TMJ also "went away" as a bonus when I started on magnesium, something I didnt expect.

It appears to be a trio of supplements, if its not a medical problem, the combo of Potassium, magnesium and calcium.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/muscle-cramp/basics/definition/con-20014594

Definition

By Mayo Clinic Staff

A muscle cramp is a sudden and involuntary contraction of one or more of your muscles. If you've ever been awakened in the night or stopped in your tracks by a sudden charley horse, you know that muscle cramps can cause excruciating pain. Though generally harmless, muscle cramps can make it temporarily impossible to use the affected muscle.

Long periods of exercise or physical labor, particularly in hot weather, may lead to muscle cramps. Some medications and certain medical conditions also may cause muscle cramps. You can usually treat muscle cramps at home with self-care measures.

Causes

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Overuse of a muscle, dehydration, muscle strain or simply holding a position for a prolonged period of time may result in a muscle cramp. In many cases, however, the exact cause of a muscle cramp isn't known.

Although most muscle cramps are harmless, some may be related to an underlying medical condition, such as:

Inadequate blood supply. Narrowing of the arteries that deliver blood to your legs (arteriosclerosis of the extremities) can produce cramp-like pain in your legs and feet while you're exercising. These cramps usually go away soon after you stop exercising.

Nerve compression. Compression of nerves in your spine (lumbar stenosis) also can produce cramp-like pain in your legs. The pain usually worsens the longer you walk. Walking in a slightly flexed position — such as you would employ when pushing a shopping cart ahead of you — may improve or delay the onset of your symptoms.

Mineral depletion. Too little potassium, calcium or magnesium in your diet can contribute to leg cramps. Diuretics — medications often prescribed for high blood pressure — may also deplete these minerals.

gfadvm

12 ounces of Tonic Water will stop muscle cramps within minutes! It is an acquired taste and I like leaving mine uncapped in the fridge so it can go flat. It is the quinine in Tonic Water that stops the cramping according to an MD client of mine.

luvmexfood

Quote from: gfadvm on July 05, 2014, 08:49:57 PM
12 ounces of Tonic Water will stop muscle cramps within minutes! It is an acquired taste and I like leaving mine uncapped in the fridge so it can go flat. It is the quinine in Tonic Water that stops the cramping according to an MD client of mine.

Have also heard this from a couple different sources. Cheap something to try. I suffer sometimes from more of an ache in my legs when I go to bed. Usually a potassium supplement or eating foods rich in potassium will knock it out.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Okrafarmer

I started a magnesium supplement yesterday and today I had no cramps. May not be why, but it's encouraging.

Windy_Acres

Keep us posted as to any progress. According to the "keeper of knowledge" (she sits behind me on another computer  ;D), if you're levels are low enough, it can have an noticeable effect overnight, so what your experiencing is not unusual, if in fact your low on Mag.

Magicman

Don't forget that banana.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Windy_Acres on July 05, 2014, 10:42:03 PM
Keep us posted as to any progress. According to the "keeper of knowledge" (she sits behind me on another computer  ;D), if you're levels are low enough, it can have an noticeable effect overnight, so what your experiencing is not unusual, if in fact your low on Mag.

4th day, no cramps. Thanks. By now I should know better. Funny how these things creep up on you and you think they're new. I also was able to work in the heat for a greater part of the day today than I was previously. Not as hot as it had been, but I only just broke a sweat compared to sweating buckets last week. Not sure if it has anything to do with the magnesium, but it went a lot better today.

red

I had good results with compression garmets some athleates wear them on the field also good for arthritis or ms
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Windy_Acres

Quote from: Okrafarmer on July 07, 2014, 05:48:41 PM
Quote from: Windy_Acres on July 05, 2014, 10:42:03 PM

4th day, no cramps. Thanks. By now I should know better. Funny how these things creep up on you and you think they're new. I also was able to work in the heat for a greater part of the day today than I was previously. Not as hot as it had been, but I only just broke a sweat compared to sweating buckets last week. Not sure if it has anything to do with the magnesium, but it went a lot better today.

Your welcome, you can be tested for all your minerals by an MD (blood draw/panel) Ive had one done. I would also throw some potassium in there and maybe even some calcium just for good measure.

The "keeper of knowledge" also stated that a hot bath with Epsom salts added will get more magnesium in your body faster than taking it orally. Your skin absorbs it, food for thought you and anyone reading this.

What your gong through is pretty common, in that just about everyone is short on something causing them some kind of problem, few ever know why. The better half has studied the subject, right down to micro nutrients and its relationship the dna code. (different ethnicities are predisposed to certain problems)

Most of what she studies is Euro, and eastern medicine, our western medicine, is symptom/prescription drug remedied, only masking the problem and usually causing a handful of other problems. The Europeans and most of the rest of the world, is into fixing the problem, not masking it with toxic substances to hide the symptoms. One of the reasons, Im not to hot on seeing western educated MDs. There not happy if they are not prescribing something.

I do see a cardiologist that does not prescribe meds unless totally necessary, she heals through diet and supplements first. She is board certified and western educated, she just smarter than the rest, and very good !

Only real reason Im semi-familiar with this stuff.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LeeB

Glad to hear you are better. I would still urge you to at least get some blood testing done.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

red oaks lumber

i eat 2 bananas each day, along with 2 bigg glasses of milk each day. on really sweatie days i'll put some salt in my palm and lick it up to help replace the salt that gets sweated out.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

clww

I have the wife getting me some magnesium supplement now at the drug store. The past two days I've had cramps like never before. No caffeine at work, 32 ounces of gatorade or water every hour, three bananas daily, breakfast and lunch, pace myself, etc. It's been in the mid-90s, but I've worked in the heat before. :D Hopefully, these will help me.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Okrafarmer

The magnesium supplement I'm taking also has calcium.

clww

I think I'm good on my calcium intake. I drink two gallons of milk every week.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Mooseherder

Holy COW!  (old saying)

clww

:D :D :D

Took two pills yesterday evening around 6 pm, and one this morning at 5 am. It was hotter today (heat index of 102), and I cut more trees, too. Starting with the drive to work, I drank five Gatorades (32 ounce), and at least that much water in nine hours-same as yesterday. ZERO MUSCLE CRAMPS!!!
I am beyond ecstatic! 8) 8) 8)

Tomorrow will be the real test, as we are taking down five oaks, ranging from 48" DBH to 92" DBH.  :o
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!