iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starts of a new Sawmill Shed

Started by Gilman, July 10, 2004, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

Here's some timbers I can have for free from a new customer.  These beams came out of a local paper mill.  They measure 11" x 11" x 14' and 8" x 17" x 16'.  Below is a sketch of what I was thinking of making, but it already looks too small.  Open spans of 28 1/2' x 16'.  I think I'll change it to 28 1/2' x 32'.  The only thing I'll have to pay for is bolts, some two mix gas, roofing and some gutters.  The orange/pink part in the center is a rough sketch of a wood mizer.

I was planning for 8' of clearance on the operator side of the mill and the back wall.  Does this seam like an acceptable amount?

Here are some of the available beams.

Here is a sample of what the customer used.  He cut clear 8' sections out of the centers and had 6" x 6" beams made.

Not bad, only one spike.

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

DR Buck

If you put a back wall on, you'll need a way to get the sawdust out. ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Gilman

Good point Buck.
I'd like to install a blower, what do you all recommend for a minimum CFM?

woodhaven

I'm not sure what your minimum CFM should be on a bandsaw but on my circular mill I use a 3500 CFM unit. I make a lot more sawdust than you will.
Richard

DansSawmill

i use a 1 hp blower for my woodmizer... the kind you get for
$99 or so off ebay
dan
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too
now with a 98' lt40 super

smwwoody

Check with Bibbyman he posted some great pics of his saw dust blower here

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Percy

Thats exactly whut my millshed looked like before I started. The blower thing is a good idea but having access to both sides of your mill is a big advantage in my opinion anyways. I remove the "too big to man-handle" cants from the sawdust side with a bobcat.
 If you build a floor, the sawdust can just puke over the edge and be scooped away with....some sort of machine  :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Gilman

Percy,
What's the rough dimensions of your shed?  Now that you've been using it, would you change or recommend anything different?  I think I am going to put a large sliding door on the back side of the mill.  We have pretty strong east winds here at the mouth of the Columbia river gorge.  I'll need to be able to block some of that breeze.

Percy

The part of my shed the mill is in, is 16 X 24. The roof is actually 20 X 24(bigger than the floor). Id be interested in your door setup as thats about the only thing Id change. The wind seems to always blow the sawdust in my face no matter where I set up the operator station. Make sure you have clearance for the mill head when you are cutting them 3 foot in diameter meanies you get around there ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

jsimp2861

I have a shed with similar dimensions and found out the hard way that the roofing supports can bow. I am now adding more supports to the base of the roof.

Gilman

Simp,
Could you add more detail, like what size your beams are, free span length, and/or photos?

ADfields

Gilman, you ever see a wooden aircraft hanger door?   Thats what ya need on there.   It's a stick frame wall with a hinge at the top and a hing in the middle and rollers at the bottom that run up & down in a track on the end posts.   You open it with a winch that kicks the middle out as it pulls the bottom up.   Works like a huge by-fold door hung side ways.   It's cheep, simple, tough as nails and when it's open you even get some shade from it.
Andy

Gilman

AD,
Sounds like a good idea.  I like having an extra 8' of "shade."  What it will most likely shade me from is that rain we get around here sometimes.

Thank You Sponsors!