iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsred 2054 not starting.

Started by Joe Hillmann, July 02, 2014, 02:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hillmann

I was given a Jonsred 2054 the previous owner told me it runs well but you can never predict when it was going to run,  sometimes it would start in a couple pulls other times you could pull on it till your arm hurt and it wouldn't even fire.  I have had it running a few times and when I can get it to run it starts easily from cold and has power and will restart easily.  Other times when it is cold I can't get it to start no matter how hard I try.

On the times it won't start it does have spark and is getting gas.  After pulling several times I pull the plug and it is wet with fuel and it is sparking.  At this point I have not tried starting fluid on it. 

Any suggestions on what is causing it to not start?

ZeroJunk

On some saws it is a little hard to hear that initial pop to let you know to take the choke off. On some saws if you pull it one time too many it is flooded. And, once it is flooded it won't start until it dries out. So, if it is getting fuel, spark, and not running it could be simply flooded.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: ZeroJunk on July 02, 2014, 04:41:52 PM
On some saws it is a little hard to hear that initial pop to let you know to take the choke off. On some saws if you pull it one time too many it is flooded. And, once it is flooded it won't start until it dries out. So, if it is getting fuel, spark, and not running it could be simply flooded.

That was the problem, I have been trying off and on all day trying to get it to start. I kept taking out the spark plug and drying it out and after a a few pulls it still wouldn't start.  It turns out the choke doesn't turn off by pushing it back in,  it has to be pushed in and the throttle squeezed for it to turn off.  After that two pulls and she starts right up.  Thanks a lot, I don't know if I would have figured that one out without tearing the saw apart if you didn't point me in the right direction.

ladylake

There must be something wrong with the choke, it should turn the choke off and leave it on fast idle when pushed in.  The fast idle makes it start faster after it's been choked.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Joe Hillmann

Using the advice from    ZeroJunk I was able to find the problem and get it running most of the time the problem is it still sometimes floods and once that happens it won't restart until it dries out which could be anywhere from several hours if the exhaust port is open to never if the piston is above the intake and exhaust ports.

I have found I can pull the spark plug and blow air from my air compressor into the engine to dry it out and it will fire right up after that.  The problem is I don't have an air compressor when I am in the woods cutting fire wood or logs.

Is there a quick way to unflood an engine out in the woods?

ZeroJunk

If the choke is not sticking and causing it to flood I would take the four screw carb cover off and make sure the metering needle valve is not sticking, clean seat, and check the metering lever is set at the correct height. Oh, and if somebody rebuilt the carb make sure the diaphragm is on the outside and not the gasket.

Thank You Sponsors!