iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Max

Started by Rocky_Ranger, July 01, 2014, 11:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky_Ranger

My old yellow lab had been a part of the family for 14 years.  We were told in late May he had cancer and had maybe 3 months, we were devastated.  Anyway, "Max" was getting weaker but had kind of leveled out recently and was holding his own.   But last Thursday, we knew he was getting short for this world.  The San Juan fire has just started on the Res and moved across the line to the Apache-Sitgreaves NF to the west of us. 

Anyway, the sunsets in Arizona are most often spectacular, but with the smoke from the raging fire creating an even more spectacular rainbow of oranges and reds, violets and hues of purples that evening.  Me and old Max went out on the porch and watched the sun go down in that western sky together for about 25 – 30 minutes.  I kind of thought it might be his last but didn't really know.   He laid his head in my lap and I held onto the old boy 'til dark.  When we went inside I put his bed next to my side of the bed - he usually slept at the end of the bed on his blanket, same place he had for 14 years.

I heard Max get up in the night, nothing unusual, and go into the living room.  We found him next morning still barely alive.  I kissed his old head and watched as he slipped into his final destination.  This has been one tough week dealing with the emptiness in the house and in my heart.   
RETIRED!

Southside

My condolences truly go out to you.  The only advice I can give is to remember all the good times you and Max had over the years and know that he was truly happy with you.  On more than one occasion I have been there myself with a couple about the same age.  We don't have any human kids, so to us the dogs are the family.  From time to time I do remember the times I shared Keegan, Pudgie, and others, still brings a lump to my throat even to type this, but I know they are in a better place.  Not knowing your beliefs but there are many who believe in the "Rainbow Bridge" where one day we are reunited with our four legged families again.  Keep him in your heart and he will always be with you. 

Jim
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

VictorH

Rocky - losing a beloved companion is one of the hardest things.  My condolences to you.

r.man

14 is a great old age for a lab, glad he was with you for so long.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

yukon cornelius

so sad to hear! as I read this to my family we all teared up... we love dogs and all animals, but I am sitting here with our big great dane "dozer" laying across my feet snoring up a storm. I will pet him extra after your story.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

sandhills

My sincere condolences Rocky Ranger, outside of family and a few close friends I tend to think more of my animals then most people I know.  It's hard to lose one you've known for that long but at least you can say he had a good long run of it.  We put Zodie, my stepdaughters great pyrenees down after cancer was eating her up and I had only known her and been part of the family for a couple years, feels stupid being a grown man crying in front of a bunch of vets and your family but oh well.

WDH

Sorry to hear this, Rocky.  I understand.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I am sorry for your loss.  I guess that we have all been through similar circumstances and it is so sad to loose a friend.   :'(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Rocky_Ranger

I usually don't take the time to "stop and smell the roses", just like everybody else I stay pretty busy.  But on this one occasion, we knew from the Vet that time was not on our side.  I had 30 days to tell old Max goodbye and I done a darn good job of it; he wasn't in pain, he was catered to  - just like the 14 years before <grin>.  Ya can't take those moments away, and they were time well spent.  Some folks don't have that kind of relationship with old dogs - many do, thanks for letting me tell old Max's story!
RETIRED!

Texas Ranger

With ya, Rocky, I have a 15 year old Maltese that we inherited from my daughter, against my will, by the way.  He was 10 then, and now he is my closest buddy.  I have to mix special soft food for him, very few teeth left, keep him medicated, and he sleeps a lot, just like me.  His day will come, but he will sleep on the couch till that day.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

clww

Rocky,
That took me three tries to read the entire post. Very sorry for your loss.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

goose63

Rocky sorry to hear a bought Max its hard to lose your best friend
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Holmes

Rocky that was very well written. A great tribute.   Sorry for your loss.  We have 1 going on 15 and another almost 11.  Great companions..
Think like a farmer.

thecfarm

So sorry for your loss I have My Little Boo-Boo that will always be on the front lawn so he can forever watch over The C Farm. I did not have a chance to really say good bye to him. He hid his pain very well from us.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wheelinguy

Sorry to hear about the loss. Always hard to let go.  We lost our 14 year old lab about this time last year, best friend anyone could hope for.  But he lives on in all the pictures and stories we still tell and so will Max!  Max was lucky to have someone that felt the same way about him as he felt about you.

Jeff

Sorry to hear that Rocky. Dogs can be such a big part of our lives. I know our dogs always have been. It really is like  losing family.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

Nothing more devoted than a good ole dog as a sidekick!

My condolences!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Rocky_Ranger

Thanks folks, it's been a week today.........  Just like losing a member of the family because it was; it's good to hear from folks who think as we do about their sidekicks.......
RETIRED!

Ron Scott

I know the feeling when you lose them.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!