iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blue Spruce

Started by beerguy, July 09, 2004, 10:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beerguy

My dear Mother has given me permission to remove a Blue spruce from her yard. 2 good sawlogs with not much taper, (for a spruce).
What would you guys make with a few dozen spruce boards?

Mobilesawyer

I don't know much about the Blue Spruce hybrid but we have used  the other varieties fo spruce for contruction lumber (studs, headers and joists). Hope this helps.

beenthere

The lumber in the tree will be a reflection of the history of the tree. If this tree's 2 'good' sawlogs have been pruned of branches for a good portion of the time it has been growing, then there will be some good lumber. If the limbs were large and left to hang on, die, break off, and finally grow over, - then those dead stubs will be found when sawing out boards or dimension. The bark will leave those tell-tale signs of what went on in the past.

If you have grown up with the tree, and know that history, then you will have a pretty good idea of what your sawing experience will be like - and you will re-live that history and maybe some memories - did you nail any steps on that tree?  ;D

How does it look on the bark surface?

You could make your mother a table or maybe a picture frame, for her to remember that tree. Or something else that will help her treasure the memories that surround that tree.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ADfields

It's not a hybrid it's a southern Rockys native.   It's a slice of heaven to come over a high mountain ridge to see a big pure stand of Blue Spruce. 8) 8)
Andy

Ianab

Yeah... I'd go with a coffee table or a bookcase etc for the house. It will be a talking point "my boy made this out of that old tree in the yard"  ;)

ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!