iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

no more smoke

Started by yukon cornelius, June 29, 2014, 09:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

today is the third day of not smoking. we have quit before for a few years at a time but have came back to it. this time it has been almost a year since we returned. today is really going to be a test. my mother is coming by for the bi annual visit (inspection it seems). I always dread it. I don't like stress!!! We want to stay smoke free so say a prayer for us!!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

thecfarm

Stress did not seem to bother with smoking. I was lucky that way.As I have said,I bet I quick 100 times. And that is no lie or joking. Anywheres from 1 day to 4 days. Than I made it to 5 days,than 6,then 7 and so on. Really the only thing that keeps me from starting,beside my lungs being all screwed up from smoking those DanG things,is that I know I will want,have to quit again. There is no DanG way I am going through all that again!!!!!
Be strong yukon!!!! Do not let your guard down. It is not worth it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

been a while for me, back in '06, Stay focused and be strong, hope the inspector does a positive inspection.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

Speaking of inspection. Maybe you can "leave" a few that is not quite right out in the open. Than the other stuff might not be noticed.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cherish

stick with it i recently quit. i smoked 2 packs a day for 20 years. quit cold turkey a month and two weeks ago it makes all the difference in the world on my lungs an my wallet. i am basically saving $16 a day plus my wife quit as well there is another $8 dollars a day.
1997 dodge 1ton     14ft pj dump trailer   2012 cat 259b 3 skid loader  2012 299c skid steer, log master saw mill lm4, dyna sc16 firewood processor, cat 518 grapple skidder

clww

Keep at it, as it will get easier with each passing day.
Saving money is always good. Saving your own life even better. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sandhills

Good for you yukon, keep it up!  Never smoked but do chew and have also tried to quit numerous times, I know how hard it is.

red oaks lumber

hang in there!! its tough. i use to smoke 5 packs a day no b.s. i finally quit but, took up chewing instead :( after going through 2 tins a day, one day i made my mind up and quit, man i was ornery  :) but 5 yrs later i'm still nicotine free 8)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

LeeB

I'm pushing real hard on 5 years. Smoked for a heck of a long time and tried to quit numerous times. Never had any luck until I decided I wanted to and not just that I should. If you want it, you can do it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

I wish you and everyone else the very best with kicking the (cig) butt.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Corley5

Hang in there.  It's worth it.  I've been smoke free for 11 years and a couple weeks :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

21incher

The hardest and best thing I ever did was give up smoking. I started back in high school when they had a smoking and non smoking cafeteria. Cigarettes were $2.50 a carton and all my friends were smokers. After 35 years of smoking and many times trying to quit I finally succeeded when I had my first granddaughter and realized I wanted to be around to see her grow up. It is the toughest thing you will ever do but it is worth doing. Many states have programs that will help you quit that are available to smokers.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tree-farmer

Hang tough. Have watched my wife try and fail several times over the years, so I know it is hard to quit. Myself, I was always to much of a cheapskate to buy cigs, took all the money I saved and spent it on wine, women and song. The rest I just wasted.... :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Delawhere Jack

Quitting again myself starting today. Quit for 3 1/2 months last year, then fell back into it.

Nicotine gum helps a lot. I think the habit part is actually more difficult to break than the nicotine addiction. At least that's the way it seemed to me last year. Maybe that was due to using the gum.

BIL had a heart attack today. Got to the hospital quickly and they inserted a stent, he's doing well now. 72 years old and I'm pretty sure he could kick my ash (he's a retired Marine). That convinced me to stop putting it off and quit....for good.

yukon cornelius

well we made it through the day! who knows if we passed inspection though. we aren't on facebook to see the results (what she says about us)  :D ever feel like a total outcast of your family.... anywho im not headed off for more smokes! 

thecfarm

Good boy,good boy.  ;D ;D

SawyerBrown

Yukon and Delawhere, good job guys!  How about we hold you guys accountable to tell us every day (or as often as you post) that you're still smoke-free?  We'll be watching and kick your mules if you go back!  Electronically, of course.   ;D

My dad smoked for 40 years, then had a scare with heart one day and quit cold turkey.  Ironic that after being smoke-free for ~14 years, he died of lung cancer anyway.  Not a fun way to go, much rather see you guys hit by a bus or something!   :D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

justallan1

Good job. Although I still smoke, when I quit drinking I had to remind myself quite often (and still do) that I am better than letting other peoples actions control mine.
I understand it's a different battle, but alike in some respects also.

Allan

sandhills

Good to hear yukon, and I agree with Delaware Jack, the hardest part to kick is the habit, keep it up maybe I'll grow a brain someday and follow suit!

Roger2561

Quote from: yukon cornelius on June 29, 2014, 09:11:50 AM
today is the third day of not smoking. we have quit before for a few years at a time but have came back to it. this time it has been almost a year since we returned. today is really going to be a test. my mother is coming by for the bi annual visit (inspection it seems). I always dread it. I don't like stress!!! We want to stay smoke free so say a prayer for us!!

Hang in there, yukon.  It takes a lot of will power and perseverance but I did it and you can too.  I quit over 22 years ago after a 2 1/2 pack a day habit.  It has saved me a lot of money but more importantly my health is much better because of it.  Roger
Roger

ron barnes

If I can go from 2-3 packs a day for 35 years to completely quitting, anyone can do it.  It has been 11 years this month since I decided that I wanted to quit.  It took the wife a heart attack at the age of 50 to make her decide to quit.  It is not easy to quit but willpower can go a long way.  Good luck.

yukon cornelius

thanks everyone! I agree that the habit is worse than the nicotine. when I get up I want one, when I finish a project I want one, then end of the day I want one. I have quit before and the last time had been over 2 years. this time I hope it sticks. I can do a checkin on here.

hi im larry and im a filthy rotten smoker....its been 4 days since my last puff... :D

Chuck White

I quit cold turkey when I was on a remote tour to Korea in 1977, I was back home a few months later and it was 3 days before my wife noticed I was not smoking!   ;D

A few years later for some dumb reason I started dippin' and that lasted a few years and the day I had a heart attack on March 14, 95 I threw the last can in the trash can and went to the hospital.  Everythings good now!

Giving up dippin' or chewing "in my opinion" is tougher than giving up the smoke!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

yukon cornelius

chuck, I quit chewing with ease. probably because I started smoking. its good to here all the stories of quitting. maybe I can be inspired by all of you to keep it up.

jargo432

Not smoking for me is easy.  I just picture my mom laying in the hospital bed dying from cancer.  (She smoked all of MY life and it killed her about 14 years ago)
Jack of all trades.

Thank You Sponsors!