iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Its Begun - first sawing

Started by highlandsaw, June 28, 2014, 05:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highlandsaw

I have a stand of Austrian pines that are dying and blowing over. Brought one down to practice on.

Cut a bunch of stickers. Then left the last bit as a 2X8 board. Most expensive 2X8 in the world.

But if I saw more the price per board foot will come down.  :D :D

Cut down some ash trees. About 19" at the butt. My son wants some ash to build furniture with. He will be up for the 4th with his family. As a matter of fact all 4 of our kids, their spouses and all 11 grandkids will be up. Not sure how much sawing we'll get done but we will have a good time.

Andy White

highlandsaw
That sure looks like a 2x8 if I ever seen one!! You now have reached a milestone in your sawing career. You can't go back now!! It won't be long, and you will be looking for more covered storage for the lumber you,ll be cutting. Keep up the good work, and stay safe.      Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Ianab

Keep the board and use it to make something special  ;)

I know it's just a pine board, but use it for something where you can point to it and say "That's the first board I cut"  ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Feels good don't it? Looks like someone does some mowing in the first picture. Looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

leroy in kansas

Good on you. Glad you've jumped in to the deep water.

highlandsaw

Yes I do mow the fields after I move the cattle out of them. Keeps the weeds down.

Since I am reducing the herd size - getting too old to - and wife and I want to travel  - have a lot of barn space to dry the wood in.

hackberry jake

I assume the sawmill is to make enough lumber to add on to the house. It looks small...  say_what
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: hackberry jake on June 29, 2014, 12:57:51 AM
I assume the sawmill is to make enough lumber to add on to the house. It looks small...  say_what
and yet it makes big boards and small boards ;D

Quote from: Ianab on June 28, 2014, 06:38:21 PM
Keep the board and use it to make something special  ;)

I know it's just a pine board, but use it for something where you can point to it and say "That's the first board I cut"  ;D
smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

When you start milling 1", mill yourself a block that you can place under the end of the cant so that it don't sag making the bottom board thin ;)

Keep making sawdust ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

drobertson

Happy for you, keep that board for sure,  wish I had  done that,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ET

Good job and good first board. I agree with Ianab. When I cut my first log almost 3 years ago, it was locust, so I made my sawmill sign with it. It should last as long as Ill need it to. Good luck and good sawing. Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

downsouth

Yep, it's on now! Congrats!
  Now is a good time to sell off those cows, they are extremely high right now.  Good luck and have fun on the 4th.

red oaks lumber

with that much help coming for the 4th you can saw alot of lumber :D remember work before play ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

Congratulations on "first sawdust" !!!   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

highlandsaw

Don't want to sell all the cows. Then I would have to buy beef and my kids would have to buy beef. Just want to cut back enough so we are only supplying ourselves. My customers - we we have had some for 20 years - will not be happy.

My son has been cutting boards this week. He is enjoying the mill. Once I showed him how it worked he went to town. I had a small stack of logs - ~ 10 and he has pretty much finished them up. May have to go cut some more for him tomorrow. Mostly ash. Do have one black cherry. However it may be in bad shape - lots of ants.  :'(

Jemclimber

Hello Highlandsaw, 

Congratulations getting the sawmill bug.  Is there any chance you could take a picture of your raised back deck?  I am building one right now, (all the frame work is finished) and I am debating on the type of railing.  It looks like you used horizontal railing, like a fence, instead of spindles which is exactly what I am leaning towards doing.  I had to buy pressure treated for the framework and it killed me to buy wood, but I only had enough locust to cut to do the decking and I didn't cut any thick enough for spindles. 
Thanks, Jason
lt15

MattJ

I saw you are from Hilton, NY.  That is where I lived from age 10-22, over by Merton Williams middle school.  I worked from age 14-19 at the Agway store (closed a decade ago) that used to be along the abandoned (not anymore) railroad bed.  Wonder if I sold or delivered feed to you sometime back in the 90's if you had the farm then!

Thank You Sponsors!