iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a hand identifying some chainsaws.

Started by Snipeth, June 28, 2014, 01:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snipeth

My dad had a saw shop and, long story short, I'm now in charge of sorting through the remains. Right now I've managed to get seven chainsaws out of what was his storage and could really use some help identifying them and, if possible, some vague idea of what they're worth or where to look to find out what they are and/or are worth.

I know I have a Pioneer which, I believe, was running a year or two ago. The rest I know even less about except that there's a McCulloch, four homelites and one that I don't know the make of. I'm providing what pictures I have and will provide more, if necessary, when the rain clears up.

thecfarm

Snipeth,welcome to the forum.
Looks like a pair of Homelite in the #6 picture. I have my Father's old Homelite. Others will be on that know a lot more about those saws than me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DaveP

I think the saw in the last picture is a Mall.  Maybe model 12A.

ALWOL

The Pioneer is a 620, or one of the 620 variety. The Mac is a 1-80, or at least I think I can see the gear drive unit in your pic. The Homelite  in the second pic is a sxl925.
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

Snipeth

Awesome, thank you all a ton. The McCulloch is gear driven, forgot to add that to the post. I do know the make of most of them (except the one in the last picture, it eludes me, but I don't really know where to look). I'm mostly looking for models. I can provide more pictures of specific areas and I think I have enough hand tools here to do some basic disassembly if necessary. (I was a diesel mechanic in the Army, but had to leave most of my tools with a friend when I got out.)

I'll look into that last one. The possible Mall, thanks. It at least gives me a direction to look in.

[Edit] Simple google search reveals a ton of saws that look a lot like my mystery saw that are, in fact, Mall 12A's. My Dad is going to be annoyed; it doesn't seem to be worth much. It might be the only one in his small town, but, as much as he might not like to believe it, that doesn't make it rare.

Fifelaker

GAB

Snipeth:
Have you considered starting a chain saw museum?
Maybe you could add to a museum's collection as I'd like to think such a thing exists.
I do not think any of the saws in the pictures have a chain break safety option.
In today's world that limits their value.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

sawguy21

The third picture is an XL-12, one of the most successful and copied designs of it's time. I don't believe lack of a chain brake diminishes their value in any way to those of us that love old saws. We like to polish 'em up and play with 'em. ;D No one could go to work under workman's comp with any of these but who would want to?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lumberjack48

The first 10 yrs i logged, the saws had no chain break, and no rubber mounting. I fell just as much timber with them as i did with the newer saws, with a chain break and rubber mounting.

The first saws i bought with a chain break, its was the first thing to come off. They were set way to touchy, i didn't have time to keep resetting it, it drove me crazy. I took it off and threw it in the woods.

The rubber mounting was nice, my first rubber mounted saw was a 621 Jonsered. I had 0 problems with them, the crew broke mounts everyday, some guys don't get it, man handle everything. When i started making them pay for it, this helped a little.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SawTroll

I suspect none of those are worth much, but they may be of interest to some collectors.
Information collector.

Snipeth

Sounds about right. I'm just trying to get them out of my hair, hopefully as parts saws for somebody that rebuilds them. Thank you all. I appreciate all the help.

mmartone

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

ctklrdon

Hello Snipeth,

Look on the bottom of the Mac, numbers are stamped in the case.

I wish you were closer, or I had more money! LOL

Don
187 saws in our collection, all colors from 1947 to 2007

Thank You Sponsors!