iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

quarter saw walnut?

Started by moosehunter, June 26, 2014, 07:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

I have a job coming up and the customer has asked me to quarter saw a walnut log, I am thinking it is unnecessary as walnut is stable enough when sawn for grade. What say you? I told him I would research it with some people that know! So here I am asking you.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Delawhere Jack

Aside from the difference in appearance I don't see any major benefit to qs'ing walnut.

I'd ask him why. Maybe he just heard that quartersawn wood is more valuable. Or maybe he's after that straight grain look.

beenthere

Give him your thoughts, and ask him if he is looking for plain grain or the cathedral figure with better yield.
Will take longer to quarter saw so adjust your price.
Walnut doesn't have the ray features that some other woods have (i.e oak) so less incentive to quarter saw walnut. Maybe find out what he likes about quarter sawn walnut. Might find out he doesn't know, or that he has a good reason for wanting it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I would discourage it mainly due to the reduced yield and fewer wide boards.  I personally prefer the more figured flat sawn Walnut.

I would charge "hourly rate" for QS.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moosehunter

I already told him it would be an hourly rate to quarter saw. He thinks the quarter sawn will be more stable. He did not seem to care as much about figure/grain pattern. 
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

drobertson

It really boils down to what they want, it is a job, but all said, get it done,  you no doubt will see some nice wood in the process.  take care of them, and it will come back to you for sure.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Yup, I never argue with the customer.  I will answer and explain as best that I can, then I "saws um and leaves um".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stihlsawer

Is the wood being used for instruments? Quartersawn is stronger than flat sawn.

Trever
Trever Jones
Stihl 076 Super, 034, MS 260 PRO, MS 192T
Dolmar 116si
GB 44" lumber mill, Mini mill, Beam machine

warren46

I had a customer request quartersawn walnut because he plans to use it to build guitars.  He was specifically looking for the uniform grain that comes with quartersawn walnut.  He was happy with what the lumber he got and asked for more.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Brad_S.

Usually when I had a customer request quarter sawn from a stable tree like walnut, it was because they were extremely new to woodworking and had read that qs is more stable, so that's why they wanted it. I would explain that flat sawn was perfectly fine and the cathedrals were more desired in walnut. If they still wanted qs, qs is what they got but they usually trusted my explanation.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

terrifictimbersllc

I often end up sawing walnut "through and through", after first explaining the attributes of flat, rift & quarter sawn.  Basically as the sawing proceeds the customer usually likes all the grain patterns, the wide boards, natural edge option, and that the sawing proceeds quickly.  Walnut is different from cherry in this respect because more people seem not to like the appearance of rift sawn and QS cherry.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

dboyt

There are sawing patterns that will give 50%+ quartersawn lumber with little additional handling and little waste.  It is a good compromise.  QS is more stable, since any species shrinks less radially than it does tangentially, but walnut is more stable than most.  Personally, I love the appearance of any QS wood.

My procedure to quarter saw is to cut two or three live edge flitches out of the center, then rotate the log 90 degrees and remove the flitches.  Then clamp the remaining two piece together and flitch cut them.  The pieces from the center of the flitch will also be quarter sawn with one straight edge and one natural edge.  There will be some smaller pieces that are plain and rift sawn.  These can be used in places where appearance is not as important.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Ianab

QuoteThere will be some smaller pieces that are plain and rift sawn.  These can be used in places where appearance is not as important.

In fact those rift sawn "left overs" can be desirable. Because they have the same grain on all four sides they are the best choice for table legs etc. So if the customer intends to make a table, suggest some thicker sawn rift boards from those last corners. Now he has the best possible Q-sawn boards for the top, and the best rift sawn stock for the legs, all cut from the same log so it all matches.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

qbilder

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on June 27, 2014, 07:13:58 AM
Walnut is different from cherry in this respect because more people seem not to like the appearance of rift sawn and QS cherry.

I never understood that. I love qs cherry. Shimmers like it's covered with glitter, as well as shows off any curl that may be in the grain. QS walnut would show curl if present, too. 
God bless our troops

Ianab

Quote from: qbilder on June 27, 2014, 11:58:09 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on June 27, 2014, 07:13:58 AM
Walnut is different from cherry in this respect because more people seem not to like the appearance of rift sawn and QS cherry.

I never understood that. I love qs cherry. Shimmers like it's covered with glitter, as well as shows off any curl that may be in the grain. QS walnut would show curl if present, too.

Word of the day Chatoyancy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatoyancy

It's another reason to cut q-sawn boards because you get that "sparkle" that you mention. In Kauri pine or Monterey cypress it gives the wood "3d" shimmer that you don't see in the flat sawn boards.   :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dboyt

Thanks.  I get smarter every time I visit this forum!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!