iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin Skidder stalling out - any ideas?

Started by Southside, June 25, 2014, 10:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

So yesterday toward the end of the day my 170 with Cummins power stalled out as I bumped a stump, I was at a dead crawl and trying to clean up some junk lying there.  I noticed it seemed to idle way down when shifting or if I opened the grapple up without applying any throttle like it wanted to stall again so I figured it must be the fuel filters.  Put on two new filters today, checked all the fluids and the air cleaner and she seemed to be good to go.  Well, after it was warmed up she stalled at idle again when I was shifting either into or out of park.  Stays fine and does not skip or anything like that when under throttle.  Is there a idle or set screw of some sort on the injection pump that can be adjusted?  Is there something else going on here?  Has been a good running machine but this has me stumped. 
Thanks
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kiko

If it has a rotary injection pump the Allen head bolt that holds the throttle arm on will get loose and cause it to slip over the splines and cause stall at idle, however this usually keep the engine from wide open throttle.  There is an idle screw that is external and is just a stop for the throttle arm.

barbender

There is an idle speed adjustment on Bosch P7100 inline pumps too, usually if that is set too low they crank over a lot before starting.
Too many irons in the fire

cutter88

Wouldn't hurt to clean line from filters back to the tank either...
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

ga jones

Is it Manual fuel cut of or electric? If it's electric I would make sure a wire isn't getting wiggled when u bump something.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Southside

Thanks guys.  It is an electric cut off, I will check the wires to see if its shorting out.  I need to pull the side cover tomorrow and look things over, short of the ID plate how do I know if its an inline or rotary pump?  When I changed the filters I had to shut off the fuel cut out behind the seat or fuel would just flow out of the filter head and priming it was basically just cracking the nut and opening up the shut off again, so I think she is getting good fuel flow into the filters.  It fires right up when starting, so no long cranking process at all. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

If you rev the engine in nuetral and let off the throttle completely, does it return to idle or die? If the idle speed is too low, they tend to die when you let your foot off of the throttle.

Southside

It will return to idle, I think - force of habit may be to tap the throttle, I will try that tomorrow a few times and see what happens and get back to you.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

ga jones

Inline pump the lines come out in a row. Rotary the lines are in a circle.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

barbender

Quote from: ga jones on June 29, 2014, 08:43:55 PM
Inline pump the lines come out in a row. Rotary the lines are in a circle.
Yep, the inline pump looks like a miniature straight six on the side of the block, the rotary pump is much smaller if I remember right. Most of the equipment I have seen with 5.9 Cummins have had the inline pump, I had an early year Dodge pickup that had the rotary.

HiTech

On a 5.9 cummins there is an idle stop on the back of the injection pump. I think it takes a 10mm wrench to turn it. With the engine off you can open the throttle and feel it. It feels like a little round bump. Just turn it a whisker and it will give you more RPM's and the engine won't stall out. Apparently this gets wore and then the engine idle speed drops. The engine will stall quickly then.

barbender

Quote from: HiTech on June 30, 2014, 06:22:48 AM
On a 5.9 cummins there is an idle stop on the back of the injection pump. I think it takes a 10mm wrench to turn it. With the engine off you can open the throttle and feel it. It feels like a little round bump. Just turn it a whisker and it will give you more RPM's and the engine won't stall out. Apparently this gets wore and then the engine idle speed drops. The engine will stall quickly then.
X2, I'm pretty sure it's a 10mm (this is on an inline pump).

ga jones

I think Rotary pumps are more popular in equipment up to the the late ninety's. My 380 is a 94. My buddy's is a 96. Rotary's .Horsepower has to do with it also.

Southside

Thanks for the clarification, it is a rotary pump, I remember the pump on my '97 Dodge, it had the inline.  So the throttle test was sort of inclusive.  It will not quite stall, but stumble when I let it off like that.  I do see the "stop" for lack of a better word on the top of the pump / cable mechanism.  Sort of a second adjustable tab that is bolted to the main throttle arm via an allen screw.  Is this the idle adjustment?  I guess I need to look at the back of the pump as well tomorrow to see the other one you mentioned.  On the rotary does anybody know where to look?  Thanks for all the help.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!