iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

a cabinet perfect for the forestry forum

Started by MattJ, June 24, 2014, 04:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattJ

Made this a while back but figured the motif is perfect for sharing here on the forum!

This is made from cherry that came down on my parents hobby farm in upstate NY.  Brad Smith who is a member here sawed it after I hand dragged the logs 1/4 mile to the yard.  This was my first foray into log to furniture processing and got me hooked.  I also nearly killed myself dragging the 18" logs and Brad was probably not too happy they were cut 6' long each, but we did it by the hour.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

I really like that  8) Especially the branches on the front.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Impressive.  That is a very unique design.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MattJ

Thanks everyone.  If it didn't have so much stuff in it I would show the last feature of it was I lighted the inside from the back of the upper door to give it a look similar to the view you see when the rising sun before daybreak silhouettes trees on a ridge.  I'm a morning person and always enjoyed seeing the sun coming up over the windbreaks in the fields near our house.  That was my inspiration for the design, especially given the big old cherry its made from came from one of those windbreaks.

Thanks again for the nice comments.

Matt

21incher

Great job! I love the design on the doors.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I like that design. I betcha the back light looks nice too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bill Gaiche

Well done. Not your plain old cabinet, bg

mesquite buckeye

Love it. ;D :o 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Lud

Nice work!  Building furniture from wood you've sawn is the best.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

jamesamd

That is fantastic!!!!!
Very well done 8)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

AK Newbie

Beautiful cabinet thanks for sharing the pics!!
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

SwampDonkey

That's a fine piece of work. You have a good talent for design.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

MattJ

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.  I have a gun cabinet coming that is following a similar idea.  Its been slow going but someday I will finish it and be able to show it to the forum.

Thanks again and have a good weekend

Martha White Nelson

Martha

giant splinter

roll with it

Daver

Looks great, like the doors! I would have put plugs in over the screws to give it that dowel look.. But excellent work nevertheless..   :)
"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

MattJ

Sorry, the pictures are not the best but that is what I did.  The screws are all covered in walnut plugs to give contrast.  I have always liked that style ever since I was able to meet and see some of the work of Sam Maloof.

Daver

"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

Thank You Sponsors!