iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Think I mighta stole it!

Started by Norwiscutter, July 09, 2004, 07:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norwiscutter

Last afternoon I was in the shop duing the normal things one does there... unloading and loading the kiln, trying to hook up a shop vac to my miter saw and router table for dust evacuation, and cutting stickers for the cedar I cut the other day.  Was thinking a number of things... specifically, the fact that I needed a more capable dust evacuation system for the jointer, table saw, miter saw, etc. instead of the using the danG shopvac.  Also was thinking about the 15 odd band blades that I needed to package and send back in to be sharpened.  Well, just when I was getting ready to box up them blades, got a phone call from a guy I know, who knows a guy that used to own a mill and was cleaning out the garage so to speak.  I figured what the heck I might as well go check it out.  Well I get over there, and it turns out that the guy ran a pallet cutting operation up until about 7 years ago and had a jag of different equipment he wanted to get rid of, including a cooks cat claw sharpener and setter, a older dust evacuation system that is fricken huge( the impeller is about 26 inches across, no power though), 10 feet of infead/ outfead roller table, a metal bander with 8 rolls of banding, an extra 1.5 horse motor, and an older diamond hone circle saw sharpener.
       The dust evacuation system seams indestructable ... the fins on the impeller are made from 3/8 inch steel... the thing probably weighs 500-600 pounds without a motor. The infeed hole is about ten inch diameter and the outfeed is about 8x8 square. The guy said that when he got it, it had a 20 horse three phase motor on it, but because he didn't have three phase, the best he could do was a 5 horse single that he said worked fine for what he was doing.  
      Don't know to much about the cooks sharpener and setter, but both looked to be in pretty good shape and I should be able to get any parts for it if I need them.
      The circle saw sharpener is an old one with a new motor and Diamond cutter head.  It is big, heavy, and looks as if it will work well.  Dont know how big of a blade you can sharpen with it, he was useing it to sharpen his Mobil Dimension blades, but could be used for most any circle saw blade. Don't know what I will do with it, but hey, better to have and not need.
     The rest of the stuff is pretty much all in good shape and will hopefully be usefull is some capacity in the future.

I paid 500.00 for everything. What do you all think?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Percy

Ya..Ya stole it. Way to go. The bander and steel alone wudda been a steal... You lucky dawg ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Norwiscutter

Wasn't real sure what the the bander was worth... it is just a manual one that you wrap the role of band around and then crimp, but figure I got enough banding wire to band wood for the rest of my life.

Norwiscutter

Was also hopeing that someone could give me their impression of the cooks blade sharpener and setter.  Is this a good machine for sharpening my bands?

Kirk_Allen

Can you say "GRAND" Theft?

I would say you did a grand of a job there!

It feels good to come across those deals.

I was just in New Mexico last week on business and hat to rent a U-haul to bring back my stolen property ;D

Picked up a brand new (8 hours on it) Craftsman 6000 lawn tractor with 48" mower deck, 3 bin grass catcher attachement and its powered by a 27 hp Kohler 8) 8) $1500.

Sears is selling them new for $3999.95 and thats without the $350 bin attachement.   I think I did OK.

Norwiscutter

I almost felt like I should be giving the guy more.  He was headed back down to the flatlands today and said he would be willing to hold onto it until he comes back up in two weeks.  I said nope, I'll be over to pick it up tonight ;) I loaded it up as fast as I could and left black marks on the pavement leaving.

leweee

I agree with Kirk "Grand Theft" :D
  I  have a Cook Cat's Claw Sharpener... with the right cam to match your blades you will be a happy camper.
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Thank You Sponsors!