iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

adjustable height split top workbench that's perfect for me!

Started by MattJ, June 24, 2014, 11:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattJ

So here is my 95% complete (just need holes for holdfasts and wood in the jaw vices) workbench.  Purists will revolt but this is a combinantion split top bench with a parallelagram adjustable height mechanism.  The idea was essentially ripped off from a motorcycle lift design and made bigger and in wood.

The base and legs are all eastern red cedar and mortise/tenon joinery.  The frame moves on oak pins and the lift is provided by a trailer jack and pillow bearing setup.

I have a shop vac stashed below and put vices on the end and the sides to suit where I wanted them to be.  Probably not perfect for anybody else but I liked it.  I have some pictures of it at different heights with a yard stick in the vice for scale and to see the height.

I usually leave it mid-way near 36" but having it really low is nice for working on the top of things and vice versa for handling tall items.  It can easily move up and down with a few hundred pounds on it.  Its very stabile given it weighs a few hundred pounds. 

The top is 2.25" thick white oak and its ringed with cherry.  To make sure the tops stay 100% in parallel there is a piece of 2x2x1/4 angle bolted to the middle of each piece.

I have loved the bench so far and just need to finish it off and maybe give it a light sanding and some oil.

The last picture is one of my awesome helpers at his bench!

beenthere

Nice job on the table. Would be real handy work table if I only had the room.
Often "thought" about something similar for running a lawn tractor on for service and repair. But still crawl on the floor to do it.
Your build gets me to thinking more about it. smiley_thumbsup

Would like to have that helper around.. but all too soon, found out they grow up and move on to their own life. Good on your training to make it even better for him.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

DeerMeadowFarm

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

Way too nice to actually do 'work on. ;)

I'd be afraid to scratch or dent it.  :D

Quote from: beenthere on June 24, 2014, 12:45:31 PM
Would like to have that helper around.. but all too soon, found out they grow up and move on to their own life. Good on your training to make it even better for him.

smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

hardtailjohn

I like that!!!  Great idea and great job of building!  Hmmmmm..... that thing could be handy enough that I'm gonna have to think a bit more about that one!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Magicman

That is a very innovative build.  I also like the helper and his bench.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Phorester

Thank You Sponsors!