iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

when to rebuild

Started by stihl32, June 23, 2014, 03:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stihl32

hi guys im new here and new to saws but not new to working on my own stuff. I recently had a stihl 011av gave to me. first thing I done was had the compression tested and it was 110. im wondering when to start thinking about rebuilding. now when this test was done the saw wasn't running the coil is bad. will it change the reading when the saws ran awhile and warm. thanks in advance

ZeroJunk

Well, if it is actually 110 it won't run well if at all. But, accurate compression readings are not the easiest on small displacement. So, if it runs and  will keep idling without cutting off you may get a little more work out of it.  I wouldn't expect the compression  change to amount to anything.

dougand3

I recently got an 011 AVT. It had 110 PSI. I put 2 tbls of Marvel Mystery Oil in the spark plug hole and gently moved piston occasionally over 24h. Freed some gunk around ring and PSI = 130 now. Runs pretty good for 40+ yo saw.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

stihl32

well I got the saw running replaced sparkplug cleaned carb and air filter. it ran for 1 day then died and hasn't started since. so I had a chainsaw shop test the compression they told me it was 110. I put a little gas straight in to the cylinder and it still wouldn't even try. but with 110 compression I figured it was time for a rebuild probably. thanks for the replys

CTYank

There is some expertise and equipment required to get an accurate compression reading.

Without the proper (soft-spring) schrader valve at the plug end of the tester, the readings will be notably low. For a dealer, that could help boost sales or service business.

With straight MIX in the chamber, if it won't fire, you have other probs there.

Longer term, use of latest-spec full-syn mix oil gives ring(s) best chance of free movement.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

AdkStihl

Quote from: stihl32 on June 23, 2014, 11:15:33 PM
well I got the saw running replaced sparkplug cleaned carb and air filter. it ran for 1 day then died and hasn't started since. so I had a chainsaw shop test the compression they told me it was 110. I put a little gas straight in to the cylinder and it still wouldn't even try. but with 110 compression I figured it was time for a rebuild probably. thanks for the replys

Check the coil and the flywheel key
J.Miller Photography

Thank You Sponsors!