iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back supports

Started by rooster 58, June 22, 2014, 01:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

Well I was doing well. I have used the '70 for a little over a year without hitting the back supports with the blade.
     And I still haven't. But yesterday, while sawing some hemlock, I "shined" the top of the front one with the blade ;D

goose63

Keep wax on it and it will stay shiny  :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Sixacresand

We all do it.  With esperience I do it do it less often, but it still happens.  The hardest part, and time consuming, is getting the blade out of the log once it is dulled.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

It just dulled and took the set out of the lower teeth.  Just flip it over... :D  And by the way, "shined" counts as a hit in my book.  ;D  Welcome to the infamous club.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Magicman, what about shined, but not dulled? :D I had my second mill hit a couple of months ago and caught the top of the roller bolt on the backstop. I'm pretty sure I hit it, (heard something strange as I went by it) but it did not dull the band. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

scully

I've shined and crashed hard ! It's all good !
I bleed orange  .

drobertson

getting greedy with the backs is a good way of hitting them.  But will admit! even today, got so close, after getting off the strip, man it was close!  it happens, and will continue to get your attention,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

There are two kinds of sawyers the ones that have hit a backstop and the ones that lie about it, I'am no liar.  Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Don't forget the log clamp.  Sometimes the factory puts too much paint on them too.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on June 22, 2014, 08:47:10 PM
Don't forget the log clamp.  Sometimes the factory puts too much paint on them too.   ;D
Yep, if they wouldn't put it on so thick, I wouldn't have to thin it down.. ;D
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Don_Papenburg

You guys in the Shiners club ,have them little cars  ?  could you be available for our 4th of July parade?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

thecfarm

Ayup,I'm available July 4th,  :D  But I was edging and was sawing 6 inches and for some dumb reason thought 4 would be better. It was better for about 3 feet.  ::)  No reason to hit mine now. Mine are manaul and go straight up and down. I have inches marked on them. But when someone thinks a 4 inch board is better than a 6 inch board.....................
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

backwoods sawyer

Got to say Little Jo has been sawing for over a year and knock on wood she has not hit the mill yet ;) she lets me make those cuts ::)
The other day she had a near miss cleaned the pile of sawdust off the clamp at full speed cutting 2x6, we had set a good pace in the morning and kept it up all day sawing over 50 small logs in seven hours. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

rooster 58

Magicman, I agree. A hit is a hit. I was able to saw another half dozen or so loogs after that. Until I hit a big gnarly one with alot of knots. Hemlock knots are mean critters, especially in these 2 yr. old logs ;)

Magicman

I prolly should not say this but it has been years since I hit the sawmill,  :-X but leaving the toe board up.....not so long.  :-\

John S

I did it again on my first job this year in April, just a shine, but definitely a hit.  MM, I am also guilty of making Paul Bunyan sized door stops by forgetting to lower a toe board roller.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

drobertson

Toe rollers! this has to be another thread! ;D  they will eat your lunch,  ;D  speed has always been a killer ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I had my off bearers cringing today.  I knew that I had ~2" above the clamp and was taking 1½".    Neither of them realized that I knew where I was so they were waving to get me stopped.   :D

Of course I did stop out of respect for their concern.  Off bearers that care and pay attention are seldom found.

bandmiller2

My band will clear 12" with the backstops up, before I go lower I always glance at the lever on the front of the mill to be sure their down. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on June 23, 2014, 07:29:01 PM
I had my off bearers cringing today.  I knew that I had ~2" above the clamp and was taking 1½".    Neither of them realized that I knew where I was so they were waving to get me stopped.   :D

Of course I did stop out of respect for their concern.  Off bearers that care and pay attention are seldom found.

Off bearers have spared me the embarrassment of striking metal twice. Funny thing is both times they were really young, 15-16 year olds. I'll gladly work with them any time.  ;)

Magicman

Both of these are 17, and very conscientious workers.   8)

thecfarm

Magicman,not many around like that,no matter what age.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

5quarter

I used to have an old fella that would come by the shop about every other day to criticize whatever I was doing Visit with me. One day he was watching me saw. Between cuts, he hollered that my back post thing was up too high. I glanced at the first backstop and hollered back that it was fine. About 7 feet later I hit the second back stop and shredded my blade. He could have just kept quiet, but no. He was compelled to tell me that if I knew what I was doing, He wouldn't have to point these things out, etc...etc...needless to say, slamming my thumb in a car door would have been more enjoyable than listening to him explain what a bonehead I was.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Lonely Sawer

It happens. I had a buddy stop by to see my mill. So I let him cut some boards and to my suprise ,

Norwood LM29
Sthil 020 16" bar
Sthil 039  24" bar
Kubota L3130 HST W/Backhoe
78 Ford F-800 Boom truck
2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Cummins 4x4 crew
Yamaha Viking SXS

Chuck White

Quote from: thecfarm on June 23, 2014, 10:13:22 PM
Magicman,not many around like that,no matter what age.

Correct, as a matter of fact I have an 18 year old grandson who was helping when I sawed for my son.

Well, I had some edging to do and had been going down to 6" for 2x6's, but one needed to be trimmed to 4" and I forgot to lower to flapper clamp, so my Grandson steps over to the side to "WATCH" the impact.

I realized the situation when I was about a foot from the clamp, at that point, I stopped and educated "said" Grandson!

My blade will clear the clamp at 5½ inches and will clear the stops at 11½ inches.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!