iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about historical logging

Started by koleekellogg, June 14, 2014, 04:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

koleekellogg

I have a question about logging in the 19th century. Does anyone know about how loggers used to use a tree with it's lower branches cut off to mark specific areas, especially river ways? My dad once told me about how some river passages in Michigan were marked this way, and since he has recently pasted I'm trying to remember the story. Maybe they were called flag pines?

Any info would help my research!
Thanks!
Kolee

Southside

Kolee -

I can't offer any insight but would like to know if you do get the answers.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

The trees were marked specific for what? 
Logging areas?
River passages for travel directions?

Any idea what the purpose was?  Curious here.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

koleekellogg

I think the trees were used to mark waterways during the lumber boom in Michigan. So, the trees would be close to the river bank and would usually be left after they had lumbered other trees. My dad was a big canoer/explorer and he thought that the trees were also used by people like him who used them to map out the rivers. I'm not sure though, I'm really just trying to remember something he told me.

Clark

Are you thinking of the term "lob tree"? It is used in reference to trees that supposedly marked routes through what we now call the BWCA...and that is all I know about the term.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

beenthere

Sounds like the trees used at lake edge to lead the water travelers to a portage trail.

Google of "lob tree" shows a book with the title "Lob trees in the Wilderness" and a quote

"Along the Minnesota-Ontario border, in the days of voyageurs, tall trees were used as guideposts in the uncharted wilderness to help fur traders and explorers find their way through the maze of lakes and portages. Branches were cut, leaving the middle of the tree bare with branches above and below. Clifford and Isabel Ahlgren, two of the most knowledgeable ecologists of the area, use nine native trees to serve as lob trees for this book, an ecological history of human activity in the Quetico-Superior wilderness area."
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

1270d

BorealBeals

I know that in British Columbia and down into the western states there are trees called Culturally Modified Trees (CMT's). The trees are historical records of aboriginal use of the forest. They can show use for trail markings, construction purposes, and even Arborglyphs. http://www.judithmwilliams.com/klahoose-loggers-find-ancient-first-nations-arborglyph. I always have my eye out for these as they often indicate specific features or previous area use. There are methods similar to this that I have run into in the woods, but not CMT's. The old common cruise marker that is not ribbon is 2 square cuts into the sap wood on either side of the tree. I have run into this on older blocks and they generally indicate a specific feature ahead such as a cliff or stream. Not sure if there is specific name for these, but I have heard cruise post thrown in a few times. Summer Student here and loving it  :)  8)

koleekellogg

Lob tree! I think that must be it! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge! I guess it wasn't the loggers who made them after all, but instead explorers and fur traders. How interesting!! I cannot wait to read that book!

Thank you again everyone! What a great forum this is!

Thank You Sponsors!