iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lamenectomy

Started by pep, June 21, 2014, 10:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pep

Anyone on here ever have it done. Going under the knife on Wednesday.  I'm getting 5 levels of my lower back done.  Been having back issues for the last few years, and the numbness in my feet just seem to be getting worse.  Had the MRI done in April ,saw the surgeon the week after, was told the waiting list is 8 - 10 months.  Got a phone last week to be in Sudbury on the 25th. For surgery.  There goes my summer.  Hoping to here from DoctorB

Sucks to get old doesn't it.

Cheers

Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Magicman

My wish is for all to go well and for your complete recovery.

Just guessing, but after the pressure is relieved, the nerves could do strange things until they adjust to their new environment.  Getting older ain't for sissies.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pep

Thanks Lynn

Not looking forward to being laid up for 6-8 weeks, but I can't go on like I am.  Haven't done much in the last six months, but was hoping to have it done in the fall.  All I can say is its a good thing my wife is a physiotherapist.  The surgery is 3 hours, the hospital is a 2 day stay and then your discharged.  Not looking forward to a 3 hour drive back home.

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

WmFritz

I had one in April of '94, so it's been 20 years.
I had lived with the pain and numbness in my left foot for about 10 years. Riding in the car or sitting were the worst. After the surgery, I was angry with myself for putting it off for so long.

The hardest part is couple weeks after your surgery, you'll feel like you can do anything.  People I know that had issues following a Lammie, were usually from pushing it to fast.

Listen to your Dr. and more importantly, listen to your wife!  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

pep

WmFritz
How long were u laided up. I know I won't be able to lift anything for six weeks or more.  For the last few years, I can't even walk 100ft without my feet going numb, and then having to sit until the numbness passes.  On top of all this I need a knee replacement, so I walk with a distinct limp.  Was told I'm too active to get the knee done.  Had it scoped twice now, no miniscus.  Stopped taking Celebrex until after the surgery, so my knee has been killing me for the last week.
Thanks for the replies.

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

thecfarm

pep,good luck to you. I have never been laid up.  I know it will be had for you,as well it would be for me too. Do what the Doctors tell you to do.Make sure they know about the 3 hour ride home.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SPIKER

I may suggest do it while you can, I ended up putting it off (per VA Doctors advice) WAY too long and ended up with a triple disc-enectomy (they removed all of the discs rather than just taking the ruptured/herniated parts off.)   Originally was going to be a 2 to 3 hr but once they got in the disc condition was worse than it looked on MRI and so I spent from 8 am till leaving recovery at 6:30.   

I was in the VA hospital and it is a Teaching place, not sure but personally think the student was working on me and maybe messed up...    :embarassed:   Never felt any pain like it after coming out of surgery, spent 4 weeks in VA care as I ended up with a infection and suction drainage tubes.   No feeling in legs for 3 or 4 days & most of that time & wasn't sure walking without a walker would be possible.    Required a walker for almost 6 months and cane for 2 years.   I was member here & was planning sawmill PRIOR to the operation, no longer in the plans...

My left leg STILL has nerve damage, (lack of feelings and pain/discomfort 24/7) Docs say it is due to extended compression (put off operation for 15 years from time I was hurt in military.)   I was HOPING for years they would FIX it but all they wanted to do was push pain meds and push me off until the next set of docs rotated in & then I was their problems.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

WmFritz

Pep, I was ''laid up'' for a couple days I guess. But I was on very light duty for about 3 weeks, and then no lifting twisting and such for a couple month's. The Dr. cleared me for no restrictions around the middle of July and the next day I was working a 22 yard concrete pour.

As far as my recovery, the nurses 'made me' get out of bed and walk the hallway only hours after the surgery. At first I said you gotta be kidding! They explained that walking gets the blood moving to the muscles and that helps everything heal quicker.

For a few days following surgery, the pain was about like it was prior. Then week by week everything felt better. Since then, the knife in my lower back, backside, thigh and calf are gone. So is the numbness. I do get a sore lower back, but I can blame that on myself for not keeping my back and stomach muscles stronger. When I'm hurting, a few days walking can usually ease the pain.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

Alcranb

Pep, my sister had it done a year ago at age 51. She could hardly walk anymore and she was a very active person, sailing, tennis, gardening etc. like WmFritz they had her up and walking in a few hours. She said it was worst than childbearing but she'd do it over in a heart beat! She still has some occasional discomfort but aside from tennis she's back to her old lifestyle.
Best of luck!!! Thoughts and prayers with you for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

Morewood

On April 17, 2014 I had a Microdiscectomy for a Lumbar Herniated Disc . I have been off from work since my problem surfaced the first week in March this year . My right leg had severe pain from my hip down and my calf and foot was numb . I couldn't walk !!! It took a few weeks to get a MRI and went straight to Doc in Savannah ga . Outpatient surgery on the morning of April 17,2014 . walked out on my own and got in passenger side and went home . It was a little rough for a few weeks after surgery. I am finishing up P/T now . Next Doc apt is 7/2/2014,and should be released for work .
Frank
2008 Cooks AC3651 perkins diesel , JD 310C w/forks and thumb , International 8000 Dump truck , 16 ton trailer , and all the accessories .

SawyerBrown

pep, just catching up with this thread ...

Had one done in Dec of last year, but only L4/L5 ... not sure I understand what 5 levels are ... 5 discs??  Sore back for months, numbness in right leg, then my right foot wouldn't work quite right (couldn't lift it to walk on my heels).  So lamenectomy/discectomy to remove piece of loose disc that was impacting the nerves to my leg.

Some people get short-term relief from the numbness and pain, but not everyone (including me).  It seems to be getting better, but nerves regenerate very very slowly, and so improvement has been measured over months rather than days or weeks, and the right foot still doesn't work very well.  But it's improving.  And I've learned to do thing "smarter" rather than trying to man-handle things like when I was a kid, and I'm doing most things that I used to enjoy (but not everything).  Some days it just takes me a little longer!   :D

The only reason I mention this is to suggest you prepare for the worst (long, slow recovery), and to be mentally ready and committed to doing your daily stretches and exercises (especially core strengthening).  See a good PT as soon as your surgeon will let you.  I've slacked off the last couple of weeks and I'm feeling it.  If you get immediate relief, then that will be a pleasant surprise.  If not, then you won't be as disheartened.

The really good news is, that if you're like me, the more you get out and work and move and stretch, the better you feel (as long as you do it smart and don't OVERdo it), because it is NOT good to sit for long periods of time.  So you'll be back to work maybe before you want to!   :D

Good luck tomorrow!  Be thinking about you.  Let us know how you're doing as soon as you feel up to it.

Pete
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

BradMarks

Pep: you've read the good and bad stories, immediate & longterm relief to not so much with continued pain in the affected area. I too had a microdiscectomy, 3 1/2 yrs ago. Like others, it was the final option, and for me a good choice. My main advice is: take it easy, don't do too much, and don't be in a hurry to get back "like it was before". This operation will take time to regain your strength. You'll know what I mean when you go to lift a half gallon of milk out of the frig for the first time. That's only 4 pounds and you can feel it in your back, at least I could. Stuff you took for granted in everyday life - it'll remind you! And as others have said, do your stretches and core building, it pays off.  And bend your knees when lifting!

hacknchop

Hope everything goes well I was flown to Sudbury yrs ago had emergency lung surgery I have nothing but good things to say about my stay there saved my life for sure.But I did everything they told me to and waited till I got the green light to go back to work and now Im working and everything all because of listening to the health pros and of course by letting my body heal. Be patient and you will do well.
Often wrong never indoubt

pep

Thanks guys for the kind words and support  well today is the day, will keep u all posted.

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

doctorb

So, today is day # 7 after my discectomy, which was required on an urgent and not a "let's wait a little longer to see if it gets better" basis, and I apologize that I did not post during the last few days of this thread.  Haven't been spending tons of time online and I missed it.  Hope all went well.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SawyerBrown

So how are you feeling, doc?
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Magicman

doctorb,  sounds like you had the same procedure that Pat had last November.  I hope that your recovery goes well.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

I'm doing great.  I had an acute lateral disc which pressed on my L5 nerve root and gave me unbelievable leg pain.  I had absolutely NO back pain.  My surgeon went in an simply removed the herniated disc, as a repeat MRI showed it to be enlarging and my symptoms were getting progressively worse, despite oral and epidural steroids.  Would have liked to wait it out, Simply could not move without a hot poker shooting down my left leg.  while I'm not lifting anything, I'll be back at work tomorrow.  the recovery has be excellent.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

BradMarks

MM: how is your wife doing these days? besides serving up some luscious food :) Did her pain from "awakening the nerve" go away. I was like Doctorb, w/o back pain but plenty of leg pain to make up for it!

Magicman

Thanks for asking and she is doing OK.  The nerve is still doing strange things, but she mostly has numbness in the little toe on her left foot.  No leg pain.  Thankfully she/we can handle this very well.

thecfarm

doctorb,good to hear you are doing fine.
Glad to hear about Pat too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

Quote from: thecfarm on June 25, 2014, 07:44:04 PM
doctorb,good to hear you are doing fine.
Glad to hear about Pat too.

I love Happy News.

Let's get pep in this camp!  ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

BradMarks

Glad everyone is doing good!!!.  I will attest that occasional numbness(big toe for me) is much preferable to intolerable pain.  It serves as a reminder that "technique" was incorrect, and that more activity is needed.

pep

I'm back home in a lot of pain.  Haven't had a dang bowel movement in three days.  Going to be laid up for a while. Why does it have to be so hot.  When I got discharged I didn't even see the surgeon.  Some kind of emergency. Will do a consult in a month via tele conference.  Only drugs I got was Tylenol 3, thus the constipation.

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

red

Hang in there pep . . Just wait til you sneeze the first time . .any involuntary body action Hurts
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!