iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What I've been wanting for a long time

Started by jargo432, June 21, 2014, 08:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jargo432

I broke down and bought myself a mountain bike.  I've been really having a blast.  (It really is just like riding a bike)

Haven't taken any big trips yet but I did go 18 miles out and had my wife come and get me.  I'm planning on a trip to Caprock Canyon before too long.

Any other bikers out there?
Jack of all trades.

bill m

I got my first mountain bike when I turned 45 and am addicted. Started out with a Diamondback then went to Santa Cruz - Blur, Heckler, Nomad and now a full carbon Tall Boy. What are you riding?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Dave Shepard

I haven't ridden a bike since I got my license. There were too many tractors that needed to be driven around in circles all day. ::) :D I've been thinking about riding again, but I don't think my old bike is tall enough.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JohnM

I used to ride a lot.  The old Cannondale is in the back of the garage, hasn't seen sunlight in a couple of years.  Lived in Boulder, CO for three years if you don't have a bike there you don't have any friends! ;) :D  Just before we moved back east went with a couple of friends to Moab, UT, one of the best adventures I've ever been on.  Place is amazing!
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

jargo432

I bought a Trek 3500.  They sure don't make them like I remember.  I was wanting to raise the handle bars about an inch so I got the book out.  Says you need a special tool and special training, So I called the bike shop and they say you have to add spacers and all kinds of stuff.  It's not really bad just wanted to customize it. 

We're heading to Port Aransas for vacation in a few weeks and I'm taking it with me.  Looking forward to riding it around the Island.
Jack of all trades.

scleigh

I used to race mtb and road bicycles, back before I was blessed with 2 children.
Now, I use my mtb when I don't have any help to move my dump truck and tractor. I drive one to the site I'm cutting with the mtb and then ride it home to get the other. Do it all over again to get everything back home.
I get a lot of strange looks hauling a Kona on the forhs of my Kubota!

Cycling is a very good, low impact, calorie burning exercise.

barbender

I would really like to get a decent MTB, but I don't want to drop a lot of dime. Really, I'd be fine with a (gasp) Wal-mart bike if they didn't have such crummy shifters and brakes. I just want something I can get some exercise on that works when I go to ride it. Is there anything out there for less than $500 with decent quality? Oh I'm 6'5" and 280 so it needs to be stout.
Too many irons in the fire

scleigh

Barbender, The bikes from places like walmart would never hold up to off road riding, and as you mentioned, the componets are the lowest quality in order to meet the price point their after. You should be able to find a good used mtb on c.l. with decent shimano componets for $500. Just be patient and look for a while.

luvmexfood

I used to ride alot but sort of got lazy and out of it. You can google "Creeper Trail Damascus Virginia" and see where I used to ride. It's an old rails to trails ride but excellent.

Damascus is a very small town but they have as many bike shops as they do convenience stores if that say's anything. Big stop over on the App. trail. Course it's in southwest VA. near the TN. border.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

jargo432

It just so happens that my Trek 3500 cost $450 after taxes and a few add ons.  I'm sure it would handle whatever you want to do.  Find a good bike shop and see what they have.  The best part of buying from a good shop is service.  I was told I had lifetime free adjustments to my gears and brakes or anything else that was needed.
Jack of all trades.

shortlogger

My Giant cost under 500 and I have had it 3 years and put a decent amount of miles on it and so far have only replaced the petals and hand grips .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

barbender

That's what I like to hear. I don't want to spend too much in case I forgot how to ride a bike ::) but I don't want to pay too little and have a piece of trash that I get frustrated with. I hates inferior products ;) Thanks for the tips, guys.

bill m

Quote from: barbender on June 23, 2014, 10:46:29 PM
That's what I like to hear. I don't want to spend too much in case I forgot how to ride a bike ::) but I don't want to pay too little and have a piece of trash that I get frustrated with. I hates inferior products ;) Thanks for the tips, guys.
That's just what I was thinking when I got my first bike. I wasn't sure if I was going to like riding and didn't want the bike to be the excuse for me not liking the sport. When I got my first bike I tried out a $500 bike and it was ok. Next I tried a $650 bike and it was even nicer. Then I tried a $750 bike and wow what a difference from the first one. Well, guess which one I bought. Now, you don't want to know what my last 2 bikes cost :o

r.man

A friend of mine's son is a very serious MTB competitor and spent....gasp......600 dollars on a .......seat. Just the seat. My last bike was a 100 dollar yard sale find, good quality bike that someone had probably upgraded from so they could justify a 600 dollar seat. The one before that was 30 dollars but that was 15 yrs ago. I have been meaning to revamp it since my daughter has my 100 dollar special now.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

shinnlinger

My father in law grew up in Germany during wwII and never learned how to ride a bike.   Well he emigrated to Canada and WORKED his way up to running paper mills where you needed a bike to get from one end of the plant to the other.   My wife had to teach him when she was little. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

barbender

That would be strange, watching a grown man learn to ride a bike.

sandhills

Always thought I knew how to ride a horse until my daughter started 4H, now I realize I just knew how to stay on one  :D.  But I can do that if it counts for anything  ;D.

thechknhwk

I have a trek gary fisher marlin.  It has been a pretty nice bike, no issues, I just wish the shifters were a little more responsive.  I have done a fair amount of offroading with it and it's lots of fun.  I have not been on it as much as I should be since I quit racing ATV's.  It's about 6-700 price point.  I don't know how it would hold up to 280lbs since I'm about 160.  Oh and definately get something with disc brakes, there are cable driven ones and hydraulic.  I find my cable type to be fine for leisure/exercise riding.

redprospector

Quote from: sandhills on June 26, 2014, 11:29:38 PM
Always thought I knew how to ride a horse until my daughter started 4H, now I realize I just knew how to stay on one  :D.  But I can do that if it counts for anything  ;D.

When I was young enough to rodeo, I learned that knowing how to stay on was a huge part of riding one.  :D
And now coming out of chute number 3.......sandhills!  :D

You guy's use your heads when riding those mountain bikes. Move to the right as far as possible when a vehicle is coming. There are a lot of mountain bikers here in the summer, and even more jerks riding mountain bikes. It's very hard to shut down a log truck going down a 6% grade when a mountain biker won't move over, and there's on coming traffic.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Dave Shepard

I got my old MTB out tonight. Inflated the tires and lubed the chain. Front derailleur isn't working, but the rear is working fine. I can't believe it could sit there for over 20 years and still work at all. I'm also surprised that I used to contort enough to ride the DanG thing. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bill m

Had a good ride this morning with 7 friends. Almost 4 hours all on singletrack.

Thank You Sponsors!