iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade clamps

Started by Joe Hillmann, June 21, 2014, 07:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hillmann

The log clamp on my homemade mill is a bit of a disappointment.  It flexes quite a bit so I can't hold the logs as tight as I would like.  Before I take it apart and rebuild it with thicker steel I would like to see pictures of other clamps on homemade mills.

If you have a homemade clamp that works well could you please post a picture?

kelLOGg

robnrob2 did a good day's work when he made these. I have copied his design and really like it. I made 4 of them.
Bob

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41852.msg605141.html#msg605141

Here's my version:

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

papow22

I've seen some really nice ideas here on this forum that should be added "the useful sawmill mods". ;)
like this one that way we always keep it going to how big or how many ideas everyone gets.
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

papow22

I've seen some really nice ideas here on this forum that should be added "the useful sawmill mods". ;)
like this one that way we always keep it going to how big or how many ideas everyone gets.
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

Wisconsintimber

I have cam style clamps on my mill as well and they work well.  Height is easy to adjust by swinging them up or down and they are pretty quick to opperate.  On the bottom they slide on round pipe (1" I think with a 11/4 pipe T over it)  You just slide the clamp up to the log and tighten the cam lever, that puts sidways pressure from the loose fitting T on the 1" pipe and it binds...holds really well and I can clamp right down for 1" boards.  Only thing is they could be made from heavier pipe, they have bent some. 

I tried to post some pictures but I couldn't figure it out, tried to post them in an album under my profile, but just get an error message...

Thank You Sponsors!