iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

F250 transfer case odd sized fill - drain plugs?

Started by Delawhere Jack, June 21, 2014, 05:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

The drain and fill plugs on the transfer case of my '88 F250 have a square recess. I assumed that a 1/2" ratchet drive extension would fit to remove them, but it is too large. 3/8" is too small.

I think the previous owner may have replaced the plugs since they look fairly shiny. It's a BW 1356 case, and I believe the fittings are 3/4" NPT. I'm not finding any info on what sort of wrench will fit them. Any suggestions?

yukon cornelius

my78 is 1/2 and my 93 was 1/2" I couldn't imagine what else it would be, I did have trouble with one extension I had that the spring and ball wouldn't let it fit. I tried another and it fit fine. good luck!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

On another application...I took a bigger wrench and ground the sides down to make it fit the plug. It works great.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 21, 2014, 06:59:03 PM
On another application...I took a bigger wrench and ground the sides down to make it fit the plug. It works great.

That's what I'll probably end up doing. It just seems odd. I doubt that it's metric (12mm?). Just wondering if it was some sort of plumbing standard size.

sandhills

That seems very odd, I'd like to know how you solve it sorry I can't help more.

Delawhere Jack

Everyone I talked to was stumped. The guy at NAPA suggested that some machine shops use odd sized plugs in engine rebuilds, in places like the oil galley between cylinder banks.

Anyway, the square recess measured .425" across the top and about .410 across at the bottom. They are aluminum. I got a short 1/2" socket extension and ground it to fit.

The WM got a shower in ATF from the leaking seal on the rear output shaft, but all is well now.

Ole Hee-Haul keeps me busy with repairs, but I grin and bear it when I see the price of new trucks.  :o

Thank You Sponsors!