iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Steam Hauler

Started by jwilly3879, June 20, 2014, 08:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwilly3879

This is for "LOGGAH," a steam hauler circa 1920 hauling iron ore in Minerva, NY. They also used them to haul logs.

Sorry for the poor quality.

thecfarm

If I look real quick,I think it is him driving it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

yukon cornelius

I like that thing. man I wish I lived back then.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

21incher

Every July there is a large antique tractor pull at my town park. Here is a pic of a steam tractor on display every year. It is a monster!

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

loggah

That steam hauler is one of a few Phoenix haulers shipped back east.The Phoenix machines were made in Eau Claire Wisconsin under license from Lombard,they had to pay Lombard $1000 royalty on each of the machines they produced.That ore box wasn't a very heavy load for the steamer!!!! neat old photo.
That Case steamer looks like a 60 H.P. model to me,the age of steam,and the industrial revolution was a happening time in America !!!!!! ;D ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

SwampDonkey

There is one in the Lumberman's Museum in Patten, Maine. We often go there in August for bean hole bean supper. I think the fire department does the beans. I also think their hauler was a Maine build. But I could be wrong. I'm sure they have a plaque there to explain it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jwilly3879

I was told there are more photos at the railway museum in North Creek that I may be able to access. That photo was printed on a postcard the museum has on display. It didn't reproduce well but it was mailed in 1942 to a serviceman from his father and it read in part, "this is how we hauled the iron 30 years ago."

Link to the mine facts:  http://www.adirondack-park.net/history/mcintyre.mine.html

scsmith42

Loggah, if you are into old equipment, and especially steam equipment, you ought to attend the Antique Engine and tractor Show called "Ederville, NC".  It is the first weekend in November, and reputedly has the largest, privately owned collection of steam equipment east of the Mississippi.

I believe it too.  There are literally hundreds of pieces of steam equipment, tractors, old heavy equipment, etc, most of which will be under steam.

Do a web search on Ederville.  It's in Carthage, NC, and worth the trip.  You can't absorb everything in one day.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

loggah

I don't travel as much as i used to ,but i have been to some of the bigger steam shows years ago.pretty neat to see the old iron still chugging away.Mcintire ordered 4 steam phoenix haulers in 1913 for their North Creek operation, they were the only Phoenix machines shipped back east. The Steam and gas log haulers at the Patten museum were both lombard Machines made in Waterville Maine. Back in the 70's when i was scouring the Maine woods for log hauler parts,Lore Rogers the founder of the Patten museum was still alive he was 104 years old when i first met him!! ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

SwampDonkey

You've got a way to go yet old timer. ;D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

goose63

Rollag Minn has a big week end long thing steam powered saw mill all kinds of steam powered stuff thy have a steam powered natural gas pump from Penn or N Y that thing runs smooth you can hardly hear it takes all week end to see it all
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Corley5

The gas prairie tractors at Rollag are really impressive.  Especially the Case 40-72 Cross Motor  8) 8) 8)  They've also got a steam powered carousel.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dave Shepard

Wow, didn't know they made a cross motor that big! :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!