iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building rollers for around the mill

Started by barbender, June 20, 2014, 12:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I was thinking of building some rollers with steel pipe and bearings for off bearing, so I figured I would ask if anyone has built any before I try to reinvent the wheel. Would I even need to use bearings, or could I just use a bronze bushing, for instance?
Too many irons in the fire

Bill Gaiche

Bronze would work. You would need to keep them lubed on a good machined shaft to get the least amount of friction. Sealed bearings would roll easier and for a long time without needing any attention. bg

beenthere

Old circle sawmill friend built his rollers using 2x8 oak stringers and glued-up blocks of white oak turned on his wood lathe. The rollers were about 3" diam and 16-18" long. Don't recall what the rod was, but think 3/4 or 1" pipe.
Was cheap and worked very well. Just a bit of oil to lube the wood where the rod went through seemed adequate.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Den-Den

Consider using Delrin plastic to make the bushings from; less expensive than bronze and should work well.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Larry

There is a lot of ways to build good rollers.  You can see pictures of one way in this old thread I did.

rollers

I've made different wood rollers, some with bearings and others with bushings.  I have a couple in the shop that have seen miles of material with hardly any wear and just ride on end grain oak bushings.

You can turn the wood rollers on a lathe or a router table.  The router table is faster for me.

Rollers about 5 or 6" in diameter seem to work the best.  I've made large metal rollers where I've just welded on a end cap on heavy wall pipe.  Welded a short stub axle on the end cap to run in a bushing.

Sometimes factory made roller tables make the most sense, especially if you can find them cheap.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!