iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ID this bug?

Started by acrosteve, June 19, 2014, 08:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acrosteve

So, I have seen a few of these bugs in the ceiling of the little cabin I built with some poplar I sawed.  At the time I sawed it, there where some ambrosia beetles, but the went away as the wood dried.

These bugs are in and around the ceiling joists - which happen to be old reclaimed pine 2x stock.  I am not sure if they are boring into the wood, but they are definitely boring into the blueboard insulation that is in the ceiling.

Hopefully they are not trouble.
Thanks for the help.
Timberking B-20

mesquite buckeye

Have you touched one? Look like maybe some kind of stinging caterpillar. This one isn't going to hurt wood. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

acrosteve

I guess I got nervous I have been keeping a weary eye on the cabin hoping the bugs in the poplar where really gone.  Then this these things showed up, although on different wood.

But they are definitely chewing the insulation, I am just not sure about the wood.  Strange for a regular caterpillar.
Timberking B-20

thecfarm

I have a root cellar. I went down and noticed blue sawdust on the floor.  :o I used that 2 inch blue board too. Ants were in the ceiling. I sprayed the holes with raid. Made like a brown spot where the raid was applied,but did away with the ants quick.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

Thecfarm
Ants love blue board insulation or any stroyfoam .
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

I never had a problem,but that once. Maybe it was up 2-3 years when it happened. I keep checking. Can't have nothing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!