iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Cabin Wood Working Shed

Started by BlaBla, July 08, 2004, 08:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlaBla

This may be too vague of a question to get any good info, but I'll try and see if I can explain this well.

I own a woodworking shed made of logs by my grandfather about 25-30 years ago. I'm not sure what kind of logs he used. The supporting logs (walls) look sturdy, but I'm still concerned about the structure. A side wall made from logs split in two is rotting. It is not covered as much. Also a groundhog has dug some holes around the foundation. The structure sits on a dirt foundation. It is covered by a sheet metal roof. The spaces between logs are heavy packed with mortar.

My basic question is: How long can I expect a log building like this to last? I'd like to organize it into my own workshop, but I'd like to know if there is a safety threat.

Thanks

and I'll try to find pictures, but I think that I may have a time finding those.

beenthere

Any way to find out the species of logs? or what they likely are from your area?

If on a dirt foundation, as you say, then rot is likely a factor and those logs will need to be replaced. Pictures would be helpful.

Large overhangs are a big help in protecting logs in log cabins from rot and decay. Getting the water to shed off the logs, and not running in between the chinking is also important.

Is there a way to get a stone or concrete foundation under the logs, at least for future protection?  

In older times, log cabins were just stacked logs. In recent years, some log cabin building techniques include steel rods to 'pin' the logs together, wiring, and sometimes plumbing placed in the logs -- all of which make it more difficult to raise the good logs and replace the rotten ones with more good ones. Hopefully yours will be the easier of the two.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BlaBla

Here are some pictures of the shed originally.

BlaBla

Any big projects to restore this is out of the question. What can I look for the see if the structure is sound?

I'm guessing that oak was mainly used. Elm, black walnut, and osage orange are also on the property. The pictures are probably more helpful than me.

BlaBla

beenthere

Apparently there are two pictures of "before" or original construction, and one picture "now"?  Shingles or shakes on for siding over the logs?  

Detecting rot in logs:
*  Sounding with a hammer.
*  Poking with a pick, screwdriver, or a long bit (increment borer if you might have one or access to one).

"Big project" ?  can you define that so we don't go off the deep end?  What do you want to end up with? That may define whether you are going to get into a big project.

I call what Jeff is doing to his home a BIG project. And a great one it is. He's been pretty quiet for awhile  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

raycon

Ground contact is not a good idea.
The logs/timbers above ground,in a stable environment could last 200+ years if cared for. Depends on species and if exposed to the elements.
Whats causing the rot? That is it moisture,termites,ants --etc...
More than once I've had the mis-fortune to be in the wrong place at the right time and had to hand dig a new foundation for an existing structure -- might be an option for the one you have.
Don't let the rot go address the cause as soon as you can.

Could just be a sweat equity project if you have replacement trees on the property and some field stone to use for a foundation. If you take down a tree plant two white oaks in its place so that the next person repairing it will have stock on hand.
Lot of stuff..

BlaBla

I kind of let this post die for awhile because I realized my problem wasn't as serious as I first thought. I'll try to find the pics again  and post them since they aren't working anymore.

I've looked at the structure thoroughly and found cinder blocks holding  the structure a few inches off the ground. Sheet metal was used to block the area between the ground and the bottom part of the shed. The bottom layer(resting on the cinder blocks) looks to be railroad ties. Should those last as long or longer than the logs?

Besides rotting, what can I look for for structural soundness?

Is there anything else I should look for?

How can I take of the logs to make it last forever?

BlaBla

BlaBla

BlaBla

BlaBla

These are all pictures of the shed originally.

BlaBla

These are current pics of the shed. A front overhand has been added. I took special attention on getting pics of the foundation. How can I keep the shed in good shape? How can I stop a small bit of rot in one of the ties?

Thank You Sponsors!