iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting a Small Maple Burl

Started by VTwoodworker, June 18, 2014, 08:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTwoodworker

Last winter I was cutting up a load of firewood logs when I noticed a small burl on the butt end of a 7" hard maple.  I cut it off and threw it beside the woodshed and it had been laying there since.  Last Sunday, I decided that since it was Father's Day I should do something fun and thought that cutting the burl open to see what was inside would be just the project.

I have never cut anything like this before and it would be like trying to clamp a basketball down to the mill.  I decided the best thing to do is to attach it to a 2x8 with some lag bolts and then clamp the 2x8 onto the mill.

I sliced the burl about 7/8" thick.  I am not sure what I will use the wood for but was thinking that it may become a jewelry box.  But the use will depend on how well the wood dries. 

Unbolted the block that was left and sent it to the woodpile.  There are probably better sawing techniques to maximize the figure in a burl like this but I am happy with the result and glad the mood struck me to save this from the OWB.

Comments welcome.

Wayne

drobertson

Looks good enough to me,  I have never seen a maple burl paddle, til now ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

I have never sawed a burl,so I must say you did a mighty fine job the way I see it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!