iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Made a bed for....

Started by isawlogs, June 17, 2014, 09:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

My daughter.

A special request from my favorite daughter wich was to make her a bed frame that could be high enough to slide plastique storage bines under it. So we drew up some quick lines and came up with a design that every one was good with... Every one beeing mostly me  ::)  Wimine folks draw up the most complex drawings ever imagined  :o

Still has a few coats of ploy to come its way. I used white ash and had to cover it with a stain to my daughters request. It also will have some kind of strapping screwed to the lats to keep them together while moving it. I used bed rail fasterners from Lee Valley tools  http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware/page.aspx?p=67917&cat=3,40842,43730&ap=1  I used the 5 7\8 as I wanted the most support for the rail.
I also put some levelling feet on it, I used some four inches long, not that it needs that much levelling, but as all things are, I made this with a specific number in mind as for height of storage bine to go under it, one needs to have some give if da wimine think that a different bine would be better and it would turn out a little taller .....

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Bill Gaiche

Looks good and built to last. bg

pigman

I find those bed rail fasteners are the easiest to install and are strong.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

justallan1

WmFritz

Your favorite daughter should love it.  ;D
Very nice work.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

yukon cornelius

that is really nice! i have never used ash for anything yet but i have been looking at a few i need to cut. its a great looking project!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

Its kind of demeaning calling me your favorite daughter, but the bed makes up for it!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

That is beautiful wood.  The bed rail fasteners are cool.  I have not made a bed yet, so this project is especially interesting to me.  Excellent results, mon ami. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andy White

Marcel,
Outstanding results for a project that size. I have never used Ash, but that stuff is awesome! Good job for sure.     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

thecfarm

Good job. Is she going to want a couple night stands to match? Than a dresser?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Lud

Hope you signed and dated and wrote a note to her on it.  Provenance!!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

samandothers

Really nice job!  Do you have pictures of the joints at the side railings and foot or head?  Do the adjustable feet mount to the side of the legs?

Thanks for sharing!

rrrun

Outstanding work. Heirlooms are a wonderful thing!
--
www.MowryJournal.com

mesquite buckeye

I'm betting that one stays in the family for a long time. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

isawlogs

The corner feet are glued and have pocket holes with flat head screws
The corner feet of the bed are attached to the head board and foot board with glue and counter sank flat head screws.  ( I don't buy the pocket hole screws.. I'm too cheap) these screws have the same integrated washer to the head as the pocket hole screw has.

The feet I used are these
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/Page.aspx?p=40932&cat=3,41306,41308
Agasin from Lee Valley Tools, one stop shopping  :)
I screwed these into the corner of the feet, really strong adjustable foot.

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

jamesamd

That is a fine piece of woodworking,marcel!!! 8)

jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

clww

Great looking bed for your daughter. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

samandothers

Thanks for the follow up and pictures!  Nice job!

SwampDonkey

Nice bed there Marcel. I like ash. ;D I have used those same bed rail fasteners on a bed I made about 20 years ago. Easy, quick and strong. :)

Your daughter won't complain too much. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

That bed frame has a very bold look.  I am sure that it will become a family heirloom.   8) 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Good show there Marcel....Like Lynn said that will be around a while. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!