overhead enddogging scragg sawmill

Started by rwepinetree, June 16, 2014, 08:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwepinetree

Is there anyone out there with an overhead end dogging scragg sawmill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Say what?  :o

Out of this crowd....there might be one.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

rwepinetree,welcome to the forum. Someone will be able to help,I betcha.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

No help from me, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum, rwepinetree.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SPD748

That's some serious commercial hardware you speak of 'tree. My old mill isn't anything close I'm afraid. I'm sure one of our more experienced members can help. Welcome to the forum!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Ron Wenrich

I've never seen one or been around one.  I know the concept and there are a couple of different types. 

Are you looking at buying one or do you own one?  Fill us in on what your question is about.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Cedarman

We use one for logs from 4" to about 12".  Lengths from 6' to 11'.
Ours is a band scragg, not a circle mill scragg.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

YoungStump

We use a Pendu 6800 scragg mill for 6"-16" in diameter and mostly 3'-4' long bolts (I think max length on ours is around 6') we buy logs in pole length and buck them to approximate pallet wood lengths before sawing, then run the cants through a double end trim to exact length before resawing thru a double bay gang saw.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

YoungStump

Here are a few youtube videos of similar set ups to ours we use a big chain cutoff now but are hoping to upgrade to a circular chopsaw soon.
m.youtube.com/results?q=pendu%206800%20scragg%20mill&sm=3
m.youtube.com/results?q=pendu+small+log+scragg+mill&sm=3
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

stefan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpG73QlZJtM&feature=player_embedded

Here is another video, same type of mill but a Cooper machine this time.
A setup like this should be able to chew through a pretty respectable number of logs in a day.

blade69001

at 3 a minute that is about 1200 a shift, now if I could just cut up that many cants in a shift.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

NMFP

We just converted a friend of mines to an overhead dogging system.  Used to be a sharp chain type but was limited on production for having to run each piece twice to make a cant.  His is set up for 8-9' logs that are evenly cut with flat transverse faces.  The way we made it dog was that it was even ended on the leading end and then the tailing end, we used an 18" 2 way cylinder to put pressure on the log or cant.  The roller bed now has 2 hydraulic cylinders that raise up and down to support the log for dogging and then drop out of the way for sawing.  I don't have any pictures but the face of the dogging plates has a welded end like a log splitter to grip the logs which is replaceable.  Works well with logs up to 16" but is excellent with logs 6-14"

The trickiest part was designing the rotation 90 degrees to saw the adjacent faces but we accomplished that with 2 servo motors and limit switches.  Very accurate but we are going to reengineer it at some point to cut down on the complexity and make it simple with just hydraulics which we figured out but not until we mad everything else work great.

The machine, I am guessing weighs about 14k lbs and it 25' long and 7' wide with the cable drive at the log feed end and a single cable, very similar to that of any circular mill that's running a cable drive.

If you need any help or thoughts, I can help you out

rwepinetree

Thank you for the comments I am looking to set up a system
to make cants and recover what grade I can but the price of some of the mills are outrages

rwepinetree

Hey Ceaderman where are you and if you are near me can I visit your mill and see it run

rwepinetree

I am running a woodland pro k 4 band mill with built in edger right now but my need to do more has brought me to the overhead scragg because of the availability of tree length firewood that there is a lot of grade lumber on it that can be recovered with this type of mill

NMFP

Have you thought about using a sharp chain scragg set as a predetermined width , say 6"?  Let the slabs fall off and then run them through a resaw for 4/4 lumber, then edge each of the boards?  I know its more work but a sharp chain scragg would be easier and cheaper to build than an overhead dogging machine.  You could also use the same principle as the over head, just have the small carriage feed the logs into the saws from below rather than from top. 

How long of material do you want to saw?  If its 8' material, you could make a machine that's about 21-22' long, making it very compact.

there's lots of ideas running around in my head, especially as I just finished up the scragg conversion for a friend and working on my own circle mill rebuild.

beenthere

Quote from: rwepinetree on June 18, 2014, 08:58:27 PM
Hey Ceaderman where are you and if you are near me can I visit your mill and see it run

Maybe if you'd put your location in your bio under your profile.... would help.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rwepinetree

rwepinetree

I would like to saw from 6 foot to 10 foot

Thank You Sponsors!