iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beech!

Started by Engineer, July 08, 2004, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

I have four logs of american beech, about 200 board feet in all.  The objective of these logs is solely to build a kitchen butcherblock, so I'll be cutting these logs at 8/4 and trying to air dry them and *then* kiln-dry until done.  Any tips on making sure this stuff doesn't turn into badly checked corkscrews?  I know it has a bad rep, but it makes for fantastic cutting boards and blocks.

beenthere

I'm wondering why 8/4?  I think I would go 4/4 or 5/4 (at least thinner than 8/4) because it would be easier to get dry without as much drying degrade and faster. The 'butcher' block is glued up anyway, and the boards could be planed to thickness, and the planed faces glued after ripping strips to to width (i.e the thickness of the cutting board). After gluing, planing the cutting board to thickness would be done, and then final surfacing before finishing.
 ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Engineer

Only 8/4 to minimize glue joints.  This one's actually going to be a whole counter top, accented with a couple other species, but 95% beech.  It'll be 30 x 72 by 3" thick.  I'd rather have 15 or 16 joints than 30.  

hawby

Be sure to endcoat the logs...now. Make sure they are still coated when it gets to the kiln. I agree with beenthere on the narrower cuts.

I have had some luck with Beech by letting it dry real (REAL) slow at first.

You should have a beautiful countertop though. I like the dark / light color of Beech.
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Bruce_A

Do you need to sticker those 3" boards to dry them?

SwampDonkey

Beech is definately nice wood for counter top or butcher block or furniture even. Best of luck in your drying process.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don_Lewis

get it on stickers the minute you saw it.

MrMoo

Sawed up a small beech log last Saturday to make a new rear bumper for the pickup.
The wife insisted on a new bumper. We currently have a slab bolted on there and she don't like it. When she went blueberry picking someone commented that the slab was an interesting bumper.  :D

Den Socling

MrMoo,

What color is your pickup. I could send you a piece of Red Beech. It's actually Nothofagus but it is tough stuff. It 'don't need no stinkin' Thompson's water seal'. but it sure gets red!

Den

MrMoo

Den
The pickup is dark green. I never heard of Red Beech my place has lots of American Beech --  smooth gray bark. Squirrels love the nuts.
Sounds like the Red stuff would make a good bumper.

Thank You Sponsors!