iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

5 cent washer fixed the mower

Started by drobertson, June 16, 2014, 03:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Had the steering go out on the mower a few days ago, ole faithful youtube again, did the washer trick, easy cheap fix, relatively speaking of course,  beats the heck out of an $70 part for sure.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

yukon cornelius

I like those cheap fixes! the internet is a great place to find any info you need. like me when last august I bought a sawmill to build my house and had never even seen one run  ;D that's when  ran across this site.

if you have a problem with a product, most likely someone else has had the same problem and is willing to share how they fixed it.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Magicman

When you need a ΒΌ" washer just drill a hole through a penny.  Washers cost 5 cents, and pennies cost, well.....one cent.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tree-farmer

Magicman, I think it only works with copper ones. Most are soft zinc with flash plating.
Heated one with matt gas torch and the zinc ran out leaving micro shell.
Older coppers did work well, used them Iin past.

Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Magicman

Those plated ones are working fine.  I don't remember having to heat a washer.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

this fix requires the washer to be welded to the drag link arm with the ball joint inserted, it keeps the ball joint  in the pocket, I believe it's called redneck engineering? ;D  but it works,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

justallan1

Every riding mower I've seen the steering was the worst made part of the whole mess, so I'd say you did good. You may try to get some oil or grease in it, especially when you park it for the year, so it doesn't rust solid.
I had a buddy that said his get rich idea was to go to Mexico and buy $50.00 worth of pesos and drill holes in them to sell for washers. It seems there were 2300 pesos to the dollar or something like that. :D

Allan

Thank You Sponsors!