iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Biting Insects

Started by Ken, June 15, 2014, 04:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

There is sure a good crop here this year.  The long wet spring and wet start to the summer has seemed to bring about a bumper crop of mosquitos and black flies.  In addition the deere/moose flies have gotten very aggressive on those rare occasions that the sun makes an appearance.  Others experiencing the same?
Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

Yip, the deer flies swarm in the hot sun. I could kill 3 at a time with one swat.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Den Socling

Mosquitoes at dusk have been awful here in central PA.

yukon cornelius

this year so far has not been too bad for us. last year we were nearly eaten alive by noseeums (biting midges) then horseflies. the noseeums would fit through the screens on the little cabin and made for a rough nights sleep. we ended up having to shut the windows and put in air conditioning.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

yukon cornelius

I forgot to add that the scorpions have been excessive this year. they have found a way in the house! I don't like them buggers.

Jamie_C

They were out so thick here you almost didn't need to bring a lunch to work, just breathe through your mouth and swallow the couple hundred flies you inhaled with every breath. We had a week of pretty warm temps that scared away the blackflies and skeeters and brought out the moose and deer flies. We got rain here all weekend so I expect a bumper crop of biting critters waiting for us at work in the morning.

beenthere

Very few bugs so far. Some knats, but not many. No skeeters, even at dusk.
No deer flies, and very few wasps flying about. Although a few nests showing up here and there.

Been a good spring and beginning of summer so far.

Don't mean to spoil the party... ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Beehthere, check outside and see if they are worse there. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

We've had a bumper crop of mosquitos this season and they're exceptionally large.  The blackflies haven't been bad.  I killed my first deer fly a few days ago.  We had no see ums for a couple days.  I'd rather have mosquito bites than no see um bites. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sandhills

Quote from: yukon cornelius on June 15, 2014, 06:33:38 PM
I forgot to add that the scorpions have been excessive this year. they have found a way in the house! I don't like them buggers.
I don't know what no see ums are but didn't realize you had scorpions in Mo.  So far about a dozen ticks and the flies are horrible.

Jeff

The black flies started out bad here in the Eastern U.P., but I'm thinking the mosquitoes ate em. The mosquitoes are huge. There is one hovering over the table as I type this. I'll try and get a picture...

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

yukon cornelius

jeff that skeeter aint after your blood, its after you bone marrow  :D

noseeums are a tiny little black bug that will bite the crud out of you. they fit through a screen too.

we have a ton of scorpions around here. I kill at least one a day in the house. we also have tarantulas. they wont hurt you but I would rather jump off a cliff than face them. I try to remember to get a pic of them.

Chuck White

There's quite a few Mosquitoes around here and a few Black Flies, but the Deer Flies are here about 3 weeks early.

They usually get here around the 10th or so of July!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

woodenboater

Black flies weren't too bad. Mosquitoes on the other hand. Last time I recall them being this bad was on a trip down the Magnetawan River in Ontario. This spring they're off the charts.

I'm sure some members have heard this NFB song. Hope it's ok to post the link otherwise you can delete it Jeff ;)

https://www.nfb.ca/film/blackfly

thecfarm

It's been so windy here the last week the flies can't land on ya.  ;D Just the black flies have been here. They seem normal to me. Friends come over and have a fit about them. Mosquitoes just came out,before the steady wind started. No deer flies,YET.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

Blackflies were so so here but the mosquitoes are as bad as I have ever seen them. Someone near us said the dragon flies were out at their place but I don't think I have seen one here yet. I hadn't heard the term noseeums until about 15 yrs ago. We always called them sand flies and screens won't stop them.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

yukon cornelius

I hadnt heard of them til last year. we were being bit all night and couldn't figure it out finally saw them and looked them up. is a deer fly the same as a horsefly?

Den Socling

I always call those nasty varmits with the black band on their wings deer flies. They are the size of houseflies or a little bigger. Horse flies around here are gigantic.

yukon cornelius

horseflies here are huge also. last year while mixing concrete for our house I had my oldest son just swatting horseflies off all of us while we worked. 

thecfarm

I see very few horse flies around here. Those things are about ½" long. When they bite,you know it. Seem like the deer flies will buzz around you first than come in and bite ya.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quote from: Jeff on June 15, 2014, 07:35:35 PM
Beehthere, check outside and see if they are worse there. ;)

:D   :D   :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jwilly3879

My granddad called no-see-ums ALL-JAWS.

Chuck White

Quote from: jwilly3879 on June 16, 2014, 06:49:21 AM
My granddad called no-see-ums ALL-JAWS.

Agreed, seems like when they come in for a landing, the teeth are the first thing that you feel!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

noseeums are all called midges here. They are like specs of pepper, only they burn hot like jalapenos. :D

Deer flies have been wicked here. I killed them as fast as I could slap'm today. Lift your hand and another one or three ready to be clobbered. :D I had as many as 10 or 12 on each sleeve and 3 or 4 under the hard hat at a time. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

yukon cornelius

I finally remembered to get a pic of one of our unwanted house guest.

they seem to be hard to get rid of.

Magicman

This has been confirmed in Mississippi:  chikungunya (chĭkən-gn`yä), viral disease transmitted by the bite of an infected female Aedes mosquito. Symptoms appear after an incubation period of four to eight days and include sudden high fever, severe joint and muscle pain, and often headache, nausea, fatigue, and rash.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!