iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pulled the motor today

Started by RKH Logging, June 15, 2014, 06:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKH Logging

Well i got the engine out today. Took 4 hours with me and a helper. Still havent decided where its going to be fixed. Was thinking of tackling it myself.

clww

What's wrong with the engine?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BargeMonkey

I went down this road with my 230. Bite the bullet and stuff a 4-BTA in the machine, my 405 had one and it was such a nice machine, and didnt eat alot of fuel. There are lots of them out there, straight mechanical engine, actually would take up less room.

Dave Shepard

I'm having issues with the 3-53 in the 208, and if I had the money, I would put a 4BT in there. So much quieter. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 15, 2014, 09:54:42 PM
I'm having issues with the 3-53 in the 208, and if I had the money, I would put a 4BT in there. So much quieter. ;D
I think it can be done for about 3500 with a good used one, ive seen a few new long blocks bare engine for 5k. Less noise, less drama. Im down to 2 detroits left in the fleet, and after that no more. You can hear my forwarder 5 miles away on a clear day. In their day they where a great engine, tons of them still out here in the maritime world.

Dave Shepard

I am a big fan of Cummins engines, but have developed a respect for the Detroits. They're just outdated, especially the noise part. :D

BargeMonkey

The reason behind the noise is due to the engine being 2 stroke. Your valve train and gear train is 90% of it. In a 2 stroke its 1-1 speed to rpm, in a 4 stroke your 1/2 the rpm speed for the gear train. Hope I explained that right. Did a 3 day detroit program in Ft Lauderdale about 10 yrs ago.

Dave Shepard

Oh, I know why it's loud. I do like the sound of a 12v71 opened up all the way. ;D

barbender

The how come don't matter, I just know they sound UGLY :o I used to think they sounded cool when I was a kid, and they still have a nostalgic effect. However, whenever I spend more than an hour on my 353 powered skidder sometimes I dream of it blowing up so I can justify throwing a 4bt Cummins in it ::) The problem is, my Detroit is tight, and although I don't care for the Detroit "dirt bike" power curve, the things are pretty darn bullet proof and they sip fuel for the amount of power they have.
Too many irons in the fire

Corley5

I've got to pull the Deutz out of my C4 forwarder in the very near future.  We've limped it along with its weak clutch and leaking seals in the bell housing to get this job done.  We should be done today  8)  I'd rather log than wrench but wrenching is part of logging  ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Autocar

Ive always wore hearing protection other wise when I came home all I could hear was the screaming detorit.
Bill

tantoy

I would clean, degrease, pressure wash the motor good and then pull the exhaust manifold and then pull the head. If the problem isn't obvious, then take the head and have it magnafluxed to check for cracks.Probably has a cracked head allowing coolant into one of the pistons and then flowing out the intake ports into the air box.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

Thank You Sponsors!