iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scared

Started by sandhills, June 14, 2014, 06:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

Today I had to run a few things to town for my daughters horse show and stopped at a gas station to grab a bite along the way, as I walked out a gal drove by in a "newer" Chevy pickup on 3 tires.  I took off to run her down and apparently she was in a hurry because it took a ways, got her stopped and noticed now what was left of the tire was on fire, and she had 3 very young kids with her.  25-30 mph winds directly behind it blowing right on the fuel tank, she panicked because I was telling her to get away you're on fire and then she couldn't get the third door open to get to the youngest in the child seat behind her, I sent her with the other 2 (in a hurry I might add, I normally don't use language like that in front of ladies) and got the toddler out fine, my hats off to all you EMT's, firemen/women, and first responders!  Within a minute or so the pickup was basically up in smoke, I'm not sure I should have stopped her though because that's when I think it really took off  ???.  Everyone's fine though but man that'll get your blood flowing.

thecfarm

Good thing you was there!!! As I say, she should put you on her Christmas card list.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Good thing you were there Pat.

No telling how it would have turned out otherwise!

Great job getting the little one out of the truck!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

Why would drive down the road with a flat ::)
Good job sandhills
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

yukon cornelius

way to go! you just saved their lives  8) I love how the Lord puts people where they need to be when they need to be there!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

kczbest

Good job sandhills!
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

justallan1

Good job, Sandhills.
I'd say someone's watching out to put you there right then.

Allan

drobertson

Just reading this got the blood flowing, no doubt you were a life saver! One never knows when freak things are going to happen,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

No, not a life saver at all,think I did everything wrong, but pickups are replaceable.  Just one of those experiences that really make you appreciate what the professionals do daily.  when I first stopped her and noticed the fire I told her to get moving, we were beside a farm house and a fuel barrel down wind, I wanted her going 110, she was going about 20 in panic mode, I hadn't noticed the kids until I got her by the farm and stopped her again, I should have just jerked her out and turned the truck into the wind and got everyone out the first time, not real quick thinking on my part  :-\.  I still think had I not stopped her the rest of the tire may have flown off instead of took off burning.  There was only about 2" of rubber left around each bead anyway, man that stuff burns hot!  Just don't like seeing that kind of thing or being responsible for wrong decisions, but it worked out this time I guess, a little out of my comfort zone though.

LeeB

And what if you had done nothing and it caught fire anyway? You did good. Be proud of yourself.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ibseeker

It's easy to be critical of yourself afterwards. Pickups only cost money and can be replaced. Safety first, get everyone in the clear and deal with the truck after. I think you did what you thought was best and in the end you did the right thing. Kind of gets my blood going just thinking about. Good for you.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

r.man

The what if game can be played by both sides and makes no difference either way. The outcome was good, you helped, be content that on that day the world was a noticeably better place because you were in it.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You did what we would have done......you did the right thing.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pine

Good job.  You saved a life today and maybe more than one.

red

A 20 year vet NY State Trooper draged a driver to safety after a Firey Crash at a gas station he said simply "doing the right thing"  it all happened so quick it was hard to think he just pretty much reacted
There is Video also and after the Trooper rescues the driver he goes to the trunk of his car for his laptop . .

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

red

After The Miracle on the Hudson plane crash www.Values.com had Billboards. with the plane floating saying Cool Under Cabin Pressure
. . Preparation Pass it on. . .because Everyones Responce was Textbook
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

Quote from: sandhills on June 14, 2014, 06:29:14 PMI'm not sure I should have stopped her 
Had you not stopped her, then she and the children might have been part of the smoke.   :o 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Quote from: Magicman on June 15, 2014, 06:04:00 PM
Quote from: sandhills on June 14, 2014, 06:29:14 PMI'm not sure I should have stopped her 
Had you not stopped her, then she and the children might have been part of the smoke.   :o

Or had a serious accident caused by trying to drive with a missing tyre?

You can try and predict all sorts of "What If" scenarios, but driving with a blown tyre isn't safe to start with....
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Billbob

Good work Sandhills.  You may have saved more lives than the ones in the truck.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

ND rancher

Nice work Pat!We all would have did it the same way.You just react than think about it later.
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

sandhills

Went to a Blackhawk concert in a neighboring town Saturday night and on the way home came upon a wreck on the highway, thankfully this time I happened to be riding with my wife a nurse, and one of my good friends Sean, a doctor.  2 young men had found it before us and already called it in (you should have seen the relief when Sean told them who they were  :D) but it was amazing watching how Terri and Sean handled it and the professionalism of the emt's and first responders when they got there, once again my hats off to all of you that do that it was a learning experience to say the least.

giant splinter

Nice work on getting her out of the vehicle and making sure they where all safe and sound, you must have had some training in this area of safety and quick thinking and it sure paid off here in this case. Good thing you where there and ready to help, this sort of situation can get very damaging in a short amount of time.
I nominate you for the ( ATTA-BOY ) award! for your efforts and quick thinking.
                                                                                                                      Great effort on your part.
roll with it

sandhills

Bringing this old topic back up again after a phone call yesterday morning.  My sister calls in a little panic to tell me her 16 year old daughter just rolled her Jeep and said she was alright but was trapped in it, then says she's somewhere by your place on a hill ??? ???  Gee can you be a little more specific, well no she couldn't.  My pickup didn't know it could go so fast, fire was all I was thinking about but luckily I guessed right and turned the right direction, found her about a mile away, no smoke, and one of my neighbors had already found her and was trying to get her out (huge relief).  How he got the door open is beyond me (adrenaline I'd imagine) and he cut her out of the seat belt she was caught in, thank God she was wearing it.  She was on the way out to clean for Grandma, it's a tricky hill, gravel road, and she met a truck just on top of it that startled her but nobody was hurt and vehicles are so easy to replace.  I did have to explain to the Sheriff that not all the tracks weren't hers, I think I made the corner at about 60  :D.  Puts things in perspective really fast though, stay safe. 

Chuck White

Glad to hear she's ok, Pat.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

buzywoodliff

Well done!!

And yes, much respect for those who do it everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!