iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging GPS

Started by CTL logger, June 13, 2014, 03:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTL logger

I've been looking into GPS system for my logging operation the only one I found were 10-12k a little pricey if you  ask me. Well I talked to a company that's developing a Ipad based  GPS system for logging. I gave them my info they actually called me back and asked if I would be interested in beta testing one of their systems. I said yes and hopefully next week I have this up and running in one of the machines.

beenthere

That sounds pretty exciting. To hopefully get what you are wanting, and also being able to have hands-on and be able to provide some feedback for what works and what doesn't work.

What features of GPS are you interested in applying to your logging op?

Within boundaries? cookie trail where you have been? Planned routes? Keeping track of other machines operated by employees?
Just wondering what the GPS can provide. Look forward to your analysis of the beta testing.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I hope they give you the finished product.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CTL logger

Quote from: beenthere on June 13, 2014, 04:50:04 PM
That sounds pretty exciting. To hopefully get what you are wanting, and also being able to have hands-on and be able to provide some feedback for what works and what doesn't work.

What features of GPS are you interested in applying to your logging op?

Within boundaries? cookie trail where you have been? Planned routes? Keeping track of other machines operated by employees?
Just wondering what the GPS can provide. Look forward to your analysis of the beta testing.
I am mainly looking for a system that shows the boundries, shows where landings are, skid trails, and keeps track of area already harvested. Were working on a job that's 1200 acres and if you could see where everything is and know how much is cut on a daily basis it could be helpful. Guess we'll see how it works.

ABTS

sounds like a good idea . hope it works !

mad murdock

FYI, a good DGPS system will have some hefty fixed costs (hence) the high price of the package).  Differential GPS receiver-around 2-3k. DGPS antenna150-400 bucks. Then depending on what system you purchase the cost of either software and a good rough service environment computer -another 2-4k usually. Let alone the cost of buying intellectual property (specific software). There is some profit built in for the system developer, but it is not as it may seem.  Precision GPS costs bucks for a reason, the only ones getting filthy rich off it is ESRI,IMO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Jamie_C

Check out fpinnovations, the multidats they came up with are in a lot of machines here in eastern Canada. The company I work for has them in about half of the machines. They have gps, work tracking, machine productivity and a bunch of other capabilities.

enigmaT120

I have iron posts in all 4 corners of my property.  My neighbor (Weyerhauser) has surveyed and marked 3 of my lines, but not the one with my neighbor to the south.  Would your gps tool let you go to one corner, mark it on the gps, then walk around to the other corner, mark it, and draw a line between the two?  Then you could walk along the line and see from the gps if you were on it or wandering off.  Obviously that wouldn't be a legal survey, but it should be interesting.
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

BaldBob

Quote from: enigmaT120 on June 16, 2014, 12:12:11 PM
I have iron posts in all 4 corners of my property.  My neighbor (Weyerhauser) has surveyed and marked 3 of my lines, but not the one with my neighbor to the south.  Would your gps tool let you go to one corner, mark it on the gps, then walk around to the other corner, mark it, and draw a line between the two?  Then you could walk along the line and see from the gps if you were on it or wandering off.  Obviously that wouldn't be a legal survey, but it should be interesting.
Yes that would be quite easy to do, but if there is heavy canopy cover, you could miss the times you wander off the line due to poor signal.

dgdrls

Quote from: CTL logger on June 13, 2014, 03:40:30 PM
I've been looking into GPS system for my logging operation the only one I found were 10-12k a little pricey if you  ask me. Well I talked to a company that's developing a Ipad based  GPS system for logging. I gave them my info they actually called me back and asked if I would be interested in beta testing one of their systems. I said yes and hopefully next week I have this up and running in one of the machines.

How did this work for you??  I think I know the company you trialed with.
They make survey data collectors that were as rugged as a 2x4.

Best
DGDrls

1270d

Do you use maps provided by a forester, or create your own?

barbender

The only sales we use GPS on are UPM company lands. The foresters cruise the sale and the boundaries with GPS, and make a GPS map that is loaded onto the processor GPS. Most of the processor operators seem to like the system.
Too many irons in the fire

1270d

I have the OptiMap program in the machine now, just need to figure out how to use it.  Also im not sure how to load the maps in.  The forester is supposed to bring a thumb drive out some time this week to give it a whirl.  I think they use a program called Manifold.  Hopefully it interfaces well with the opti.

Thank You Sponsors!