iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking the mill on a long back country trek.

Started by backwoods sawyer, June 13, 2014, 12:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoods sawyer

After finishing this big Walnut log for a customer we will be packing up the mill for a camping trip and trek thru the back roads.

The meeting point is two hours away and the GPS is no use, had to break out the old trusty 112 page state map just to find the meeting point 40 miles off the highway, then it is at least another three hours of windy back roads that take us up thru and over the mountains as we cross from the Umpqua river drainage to the Rogue river drainage to a remote mining settlement on one of the tributaries.  This is a load the kitchen sink kinda trip ;)

The customer was handycapped, and my moto has been remember that the small jobs are important to.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Bill Gaiche

Enjoy the scenery and be safe. Take photos when you get some wood sawed. bg

Peter Drouin

There must be a big big wack of logs to get you to go through all that to get to a job. Good luck.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mad murdock

Sounds like a trip up lobster creek. Hopefully you will be able to take a pan with you and be able to scratch a little in the creek bottom while out there. Just for fun if course :)
Sounds like fun 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

That sounds like it will be an exciting sawing trip.  I wish you and Little Jo the best.

I appreciate the Walnut sawing for the handicapped person.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Seaman

I find myself longing for such huge underpopulated spaces. You cannot stand on a mountain on the east coast without seeing a Walmart.

Crowded Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: mad murdock on June 13, 2014, 08:10:40 AM
Sounds like a trip up lobster creek. Hopefully you will be able to take a pan with you and be able to scratch a little in the creek bottom while out there. Just for fun if course :)
Sounds like fun 8)
Not quite over in lobster creek, but the same kind of roads went up Cow creek thru severale miles of the burn area from the glendale fire lot of rock slides along that road, fire jumped the river at west fork cow cr (meeting spot) 1,300ft elivation then we took the climb up Bobby cr to 3,300ft, First gear all the way to the top, now that is one steep windy road, may have been one straight away 100' long, as we dropped off into Curry co. on the way down to Mirial, he stopped at the gate and said its only another mile and ahalf or so, and down a steep nerrow windy dirt road that makes you question if the climb back out is a possibility we went. we dropped off to below 2,000 ft and into a stand of untouched old growth. Was glad to see a good sized tractor on site.

No Wal-Marts out there ;D and the veiw is the same off both sides of the ridge.

No panning this trip they are hard rock miners ::)
Just back for a couple days to give him a chance to get more logs out. Took 3 1/2 hours get home tonight, all back roads with out the mill behind.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Magicman

Nice Harvey and thanks for letting us tag along.  That is much more exciting than the gravel parking lot that I am set up on.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

I know it takes time to get where you are going, but to me it would be worth it just to see all there is to see. Will be going thru Oregon in September and will be excited to see some of your state. Keep the photos coming, really enjoy them. bg

ST Ranch

BWS - looks like an interesting trip into the back counry - but I got to ask - how were you able to post the pictures today -  from the remote back country?  Here in Southeastern BC, once you get a few miles off the major highway, phone coverage (except sat phone) is poor to none existant.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

beenthere

QuoteJust back for a couple days to give him a chance to get more logs out. Took 3 1/2 hours get home tonight, all back roads with out the mill behind.

Sayin he came back out for a couple days... ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

backwoods sawyer

Cell service was non existant till we rounded a corner with a view and both of our phones started sounding like we had won the slot machine, had a death in the family :(

local wildlife abounds :D

He has logs tucked away all up and down the road. This was a tight milling site but the closest to being a flat spot we coulp find. Even at that the outside legs were right on the edge of the road bed and these pine logs would rock the mill, had to tighten up the wedge under the leg behind the wheel after loading every log. They kept a truck at the mill and most looked about like this at one log per load. they did get out of rithem when they brought the shortbed for the 12' logs and the longbed for the 8' logs, made the truck squat a bit ::)

beenthere

Sorry to hear about the death in the family. 

Thanks for the great pics of the sawing site and forest.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bill Gaiche

Hilltop366

Quote from: beenthere on June 20, 2014, 01:09:17 PM
Sorry to hear about the death in the family. 

Thanks for the great pics of the sawing site and forest.

X2

I guess it's not Backwoods sawer for nothing.

Darrel

Deaths are never fun, will keep your family in my thoughts.  It was in my plans to move to Oregon in September, but may have to put that off for a few months as it looks like I'm going yo have to deal with some issues with my place in Alturas, California.  But anyway, this has been a most interesting thread to follow.  Oregon is an awesome State.  My dad used to take our family on some mighty steep & crooked roads all over Oregon.  At night we'ed stop and roll our sleeping bags out on the ground and sleep and be back at it the next morning.  These pictures bring back those good memories.  Thanks for posting.

Bill, just guessing, but I say blue stained ponderosa pine.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

thecfarm

Sorry to hear about the death in your family.
What are those big blue round containers for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scully

I would love to do what you did there ! Just plain Awesome !
I bleed orange  .

backwoods sawyer

Thanks, she was a wee little one that had a rough start, pneumonia got to her. Be making a trip over to K-falls this week.

This is part of my old stomping grounds for bear hunting until they banned the use of hounds. Lot of difference between running around in the hills with the ole Toyota 4x4 with a dog box in the back for weight then toting the mill up over the same roads. The drive up thru the edge of the Glendale fire was sure an eye opener as to the amount of destruction, logging crews on each side of the canyon were not even putting a dent in the burnt timber. Young stands 10-25 years old just made hot fires that were hot enough to jump a paved logging road, a River even though it is called a creek and rail road tracks on the other side of the river. The burnt logs that came down off the mountain line the road and slides are active all thru the fire area.  Looks like Yellowstone did when it burnt.

The logs were Pine and Doug fir. What type of pine not sure he was positive it was not a Ponderosa or Sugar and called it a yellow pine, did not see any others to compare needles. My best guess would be Jeffery Pine it grows in that area. 34” butt log, twelve logs later still cutting a small limbed 24” log. Might add I was trying out new Cooks .050 saws. They performed very well at one saw change a day, Pine lots of water, Doug fir almost dry or the belts gum up, both got a drizzle of diesel ever so often for instant clean up. Will try the Cooks saws on long dead Black Oak next.

Those tanks are water reservoirs that act like a relief valve. There is a large developed spring way up the hill, it has two 3” pipes coming down one flows into the tanks and rejoins the other side by side the rest of the way down to the half dozen cabins. From the tanks down generates 100 psi, the other goes to the mine.  Fire trucks fill out of them as well. Best tasting water we have had in a long time and “COLD”

Just over the ridge is edan valley where they brought the rail line into log off the big old stuff the first time around, this stand had no cut stumps. The banana slugs are everywhere. The Pump Chance that was enlarged after the pine tree uprooted had 50 salamanders visible along with a gator knewt. Very healthy eco system there.

backwoods sawyer

You are here!!!

The customer said he had two more fir trees, 27 logs later we finished up those two trees :-\

thecfarm

That Logrite looks mighty long lying on the ground. I have enjoyed this job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Harvey gets to have plenty of the adventurous sawing jobs.   8)

backwoods sawyer

Since the rain was rather heavy we oppted to commute the last  couple days rather then tent camp.
trip out no traffic trip back one truck but this morning traffic was rough met two pick-ups that thought they owned the road and another that thought he was in city traffic and pulled out in front of me then went on a sight seeing trip up the mountain. Glad there was only three vehicals in the two hour drive :D ;D
We milled up a dozen black oak logs and brought the mill home. He did take the jeep up ahead of me incase I needed a tug but was able to pull all the steep parts of the hill.

The tailing pile needed pulled down a bit.

Might add the Cooks .050 10* saws had no issues with the wide pine, tight grained doug fir, or the two year old black oak. Got real good run times out of the saws and the feed rate seems a bit faster then with the .055 10*
half way thru the day it is plowing right thru a 22" cut in dried out oak with good sized knotts.

leroy in kansas

Man, some guys have all the fun. lol. Pretty country for sure.

mad murdock

That oak looks mightyee fine!! Looks like all in all, it was a great trip. Sorry to hear bout your loss in the family. All that lumber will be put to good use way out there, and the slab pile will do nicely to round out the firewood stack. Some very nice timber in that country. Just a shame to see so much of t get burnt up every fire season. One of the long time pilots I worked with for years lives near Kellogg camp above the umpqua outside Elkton. He worked that area (the private timber ground), for years. He retired about a year ago. It sure was nice of you to bring us along on your adventure. Thanks!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!