iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"rustic" torsion box coffee table.

Started by hackberry jake, June 12, 2014, 05:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Im using the sour gum wood for this project. Its all 3/8" thick and it didn't dry real straight but other than the top and bottom of the box, every piece is under 2' long. I used long grain and wide grain pieces for the ribs so as not to join long grain and wide grain together (cracking and splitting). I think I will just sand off the clue runs and the high spots and put BLO on it.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

beenthere

jake
Can you give us an idea what is behind the plan of the "box" and the placement of the pieces?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

A torsion box just uses ribs running in both of the x and y directions. It uses a "skin" on the top and bottom. The bottom will be under tension and the top is under compression. Most torsion boxes are built using mdf or melamine board. I havent seen one built out of real wood so this should be interesting. The design makes an extremely strong lightweight box that resists deflection. As far as rib placement goes... i just tried to put pieces across the glue lines of the skins and use plenty running in both directions.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Very interesting.  I am going to have to study on this.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

i'm not gonna judge it until its flipped over.
Hack's my Dog and I got faith in him! :)

But you said it was a torsion box? Is that one of them boxes where your wife gets in it all twisted up like a pretzel and you poke swords in it?  :D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 12, 2014, 09:06:35 PM
i'm not gonna judge it until its flipped over.

Kinda like waiting for the curtain to rise!   ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

hackberry jake

Strength tested the table yesterday.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It passes the test! You gonna stain it now?

hackberry jake

Probably just a clear finish of some sort

WmFritz

That's no coffee table... that's a stage!  ;D

Well done.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Dan_Shade

please let us know how it holds up.

the cross grain gluing would scare me.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Nice.

Those are some cool sawhorses in the back with the cedar on them  ;D. A man has to be creative. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Left Coast Chris

Wow,

That thing turned into a silk purse!  Great work Jake.   Not sure about those test weights you were using though....
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

thecfarm

There, I betcha the test won't be allowed now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

Very cool Jake!  First time that I've seen a TB made that way - very clever.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

That is the only sour gum table that I have ever seed. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

smiley_curtain_peek   .......Shhhhhh!.........$300.00

mikeb1079

Quotesmiley_curtain_peek   .......Shhhhhh!.........$300.00

:D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Thank You Sponsors!