iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The case of missing posts--solved

Started by pineywoods, June 11, 2014, 11:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Over the years, I have had a few cases of a post just dis-appearing into the ether. No error messages or any indication of anything wrong, the post appears to upload, but never shows up on the forum. I have managed to duplicate the problem, and it is ME and firefox. If I type a message and then click on the "post" button, the message is sent to the ff server in small  pieces called packets. But if I immediately do something else like scrolling back to a previous post, my browser may not finish sending all the packets, in which case the server has no choice but to discard the whole mess. Doesn't happen every time, I just need to be a little more patient and let firefox do it's thing before I tell it to do something else...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

isawlogs

I've had that happen also  :-\  Now that I know what has happened will take care to lift the hands off the keyboard after I hit the ''post '' button  :-\   :) :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

I thought that you had misplaced some fence posts  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I remember Magicman doing a long post,with pictures and than he said he lost the post.  smiley_lit_bulb
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

I was sure a friend had taken some cedar posts and then come back and paid for them. I have had at least one post go missing but I am always moving and doing things immediately after posting.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

whitepine2

Quote from: pineywoods on June 11, 2014, 11:56:37 PM
Over the years, I have had a few cases of a post just dis-appearing into the ether. No error messages or any indication of anything wrong, the post appears to upload, but never shows up on the forum. I have managed to duplicate the problem, and it is ME and firefox. If I type a message and then click on the "post" button, the message is sent to the ff server in small  pieces called packets. But if I immediately do something else like scrolling back to a previous post, my browser may not finish sending all the packets, in which case the server has no choice but to discard the whole mess. Doesn't happen every time, I just need to be a little more patient and let firefox do it's thing before I tell it to do something else...
Yep just happened to me last nite with a post,just checked GONE no post listed.Glad for your post will go slower. Thanks 

Jeff

The easiest solution to this is to go into your look and layout in your profile and make sure that return to topics is checked. Once you click the post button, the page will return to the topic you were making the post in. If it doesn't go to that page, your post did not go.  The biggest thing that causes people to lose posts in the preview button.  They click preview and think they hit post, then they click on a link somewhere, or go do something else and the post is never made. Unless you have a very very sow connection, even a very very long post only takes miliseconds to transmit once you hit the post button. There are the rare occasions when the server is busy that can slow that function down on this end, but not often.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LaneC

I was wondering about this too. It happened to me today and several times before. Thanks for the input.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Mooseherder

If anyone finds a Palm Sander, Air Rachet or a really good set of Jumper cables they have come up missing from my garage.  Oh posts!?....never mind.

sandhills

Don't worry Mooseherder, I cut a bunch of erc for fence posts last summer and piled them somewhere in the pasture, still haven't found them either.   :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Be thankful Pineywoods, Most of my old post are in the Wood Shed.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

I think I have Mooseherder's tools. Now how did that happen?  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Yes, I have lost posts, but it was caused by a inadvertent keystroke that I made and did not know what to do to undo it.  Probably Ctrl or Alt or something like that.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Billbob

Mooseherder, where the jumper cables long made of one red wire, one black wire and metal clamps on each end?  I think I may have them here.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Mooseherder

I'll be up there tomorrow.  You and Swampdonkey can car pool and bring my stuff back to me. :D

WmFritz

I've lost posts by opening another window in the midst of writing a post to Google a spelling or look something up.

Come back and I've got a blank box.  :D

I know I've done the preview thing as Jeff said and then fergot to hit post.  :-\
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WmFritz on June 12, 2014, 09:53:58 PM
I've lost posts by opening another window in the midst of writing a post to Google a spelling or look something up.

Come back and I've got a blank box.  :D

I know I've done the preview thing as Jeff said and then fergot to hit post.  :-\

Google "fergot".   :D

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

isawlogs

So I go and google fergot...    Da 70's all over again  8)   ..... 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

John Mc

Well, that explains it.  I've had a few posts that turned up missing too. I always wondered what happened to them.  It always seems to be the long involved posts that I end up losing.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Mooseherder

I found the Palm Sander. 8)
It was left behind at the cabin by mistake.  Because it wasn't meant to be left behind it was only lost in my mind.

Billbob

Quote from: Mooseherder on June 12, 2014, 09:26:35 PM
I'll be up there tomorrow.  You and Swampdonkey can car pool and bring my stuff back to me. :D

We could meet you at the border with a 24 of Moosehead!  ;D
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Mooseherder

Come on over. :)
We're in between Van Buren and Caribou.  I don't know how far you are from there but we will be here for a couple weeks.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!