iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Oak value??

Started by IL80, June 11, 2014, 12:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IL80

Neighboring landowner had a sizable cutting on his 80ac of IL timber. .. they took a whole bunch of tall straight WO, RO, and any Walnut they could find. I noticed that they left some really nice black oak and hickory behind. Are these species just not worth cutting because of their value?? Do you think black oak will someday be desirable?? Thanks

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Black oak is in the red oak grouping.
Black oak by its nature doesn't produce the clear wood cuttings that Northern red oak and white oak can produce. And as you mention, likely wasn't "tall, straight".
Other than that, can't say for sure why the forester wasn't marking the black oak for removal, if a forester was even involved.

For some products, black oak is just fine. Likely not for the higher grades of hardwood lumber which is where the money is at.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

In our area, black oak can sometimes be sold as red oak veneer.  But, I hear the quality is off when you get into the Midwest.  It sure sounds like they took out all the veneer value trees.  Although, hickory can be of veneer value.

When you're looking at sawtimber, hickory can fetch as much as the red oaks, since the 1 Com grades often bring just a little under the Selects.  A lot depends on the end product your looking at. 

As far as not worth cutting, you have to look at whether they're worth leaving. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

In this area, as a rule, the black oak, which is a red oak, is usually not the quality of the Northern Red Oak, but rules can be broken. I've seen lots of very very good black oak over the years. We would saw it just like it was northern red oak, and it is sold right with it. I can't honestly remember specifically having sold any as veneer, but I'd bet it happened.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

luvmexfood

I may be totally wrong on this but as I remember Hickory used to be a lower priced wood. Now it has improved because of its use for cabinets.

Fifteen years ago you really didn't see it used much for kitchen cabinets. Go to a Lowe's now and you will see a bunch on display. Not for everyone but some would sure look good in a log home or a more rustic style home.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

tule peak timber

I bought a load two weeks ago, 3000BF of logs for 4000$ delivered. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

IL80

Great, thanks for the replies everyone. Just trying to learn as much as possible!

gfadvm

Are we talking about blackjack oak or the California "black oak".

Blackjack has been the most popular wood I mill for woodworkers. Never milled a live tree but the standing dead is really dark colored with some beautiful big ray flecks in the QS portions. My mill does grunt a little when milling a big one!

tule peak timber

I was referring to California Black Oak, Quercus Kellogii.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!